The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1696
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36020 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3409 - 09/04/05 05:21 PM Day walks after Dales
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
I'll be finishing the Dales Way in late April and staying in Ambleside for several days before returning south.

Does anyone have favorite day walks in that area? I'm looking at the Fairfield Horseshoe and the Old Man of Coniston walks, but perhaps there are others.

By the way, I found a way to take the Carlisle-Settle RR back to Leeds. You take the bus to Sedbergh, stay overnight, then bus to Garsdale (does not run every day) in the morning to catch the train. The internet reveals all!

#3410 - 10/04/05 10:53 AM Re: Day walks after Dales
AnthonyRHeath Offline

Loc: Knottingley, nr Pontefract Yor...
There are loads of outdoor shops, bookshops, newsagents etc. in Ambleside all selling books and pamphlets on walks in the area. You can pick these up for not much more than a few pence for a single A4 size sheet with maybe one or two walks on, for a couple of pounds you will get a pamphlet with maybe 10 or so walks described,or go the whole hog and spend more for a hardback book with dozens of walks in. Be carefull though, many of these publications seem to cater for walkers who like a walk to be only 2 to 4 miles in length. I'm sure with a bit of browsing in Ambleside you will pick up something suitable. Good luck with the Dales way.

#3411 - 10/04/05 04:37 PM Re: Day walks after Dales
Tom de Sherwood Offline

Loc: Nottingham, England
If you have a clear day the Fairfield Horseshoe is a great walk. The views when you reach Fairfield over Grisedale, St Sundays Grag and Helvellen are well worth the effort. In fact the views all round the walk are wonderful.

#3412 - 10/04/05 08:49 PM Re: Day walks after Dales
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
Hi AR - Thanks for the browsing info. I'm trying for the longer walks, seems I'll have plenty of material to pore over.

Tom - It's good to have a personal recommendation. I do hope the weather is clear - I missed the views last Oct from Grisdale Pass because everything was socked in, but I hope to have better luck on the Horseshoe. One week before flying over and starting the Dales way walk!

#3413 - 11/04/05 03:15 PM Re: Day walks after Dales
kevanliz Offline

Loc: London
Gregg a site worth looking at which has plenty of route descriptions and images http://www.walkingbritain.co.uk/

If you get down to Glenridding there is a fantastic coffeee house/tea-shop cafe very walker friendly muddy boots wet gear etc close to the information centre called Greystones

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917