The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3442 - 06/07/05 10:25 PM Dalesway
TrekBliss Offline

Loc: West Yorkshire
Hi
Anyone got any useful info for 2 novices setting off on the Dalesway walk i.e is the route clearly marked!

#3443 - 22/07/05 03:09 PM Re: Dalesway
paul ibbotson Offline

Loc: sheffield,england
the sections ive walked are clear enough,although the section from oughtershaw to cam houses can be a little sketchy,(especially in bad weather)just head for the houses!!The best advice i can give is always allow a little more time than you think,and as with any walk study your route the night before.When you pass through cam houses if you see any life at camm farm say hello to my mum and dad!!!

#3444 - 21/09/05 03:15 PM Re: Dalesway
Terrier200 Offline

My advice is:

Check you're on the right path when leaving Grassington - its excellent sign posted until then but just outside the village there seems to be a shortage - if it wasn't for a man and 2 dogs we could still be wandering around a wood! You should be going to the top of the wood. Also, there was a bit of a detour just outside Grassington, something to do with a Water comany or digging up a road I think - but it was easy to follow the short diversion.

Consider using the sherpa baggage service - we didn't and its hard work humping a bulging rucksack over that many stiles & miles in a day.

The walking itself is easy, it is pretty flat and the views are stunning - but be realistic about how many miles you can do in a day - if you normally do a 10 mile walk on a weekend don't suddenly imagine you can do 15-20 for 5 days on the trot.

Don't turn it into a route march - spend more time appreciating the countryside, rivers and villages - head down & marching on you'll miss a lot.

Well - they do say we learn from our mistakes. We tried to do it in 5 days having previously only done a 10-15 miles walk on a weekend with a couple of 17 milers thrown in thinking that was enough 'training' and I've ended up straining a muscle in my left leg and with a number of larg blisters on my feet - one of which burst and now feels like I've got a long rusty nail stuck in the ball of my foot every time I take a step. I am now layed up in bed back at home when I should be celebrating finishing the walking by arriving in Bowness right about now.

We're going to do the Dales Way again in Spring - but this time at a more leisurly pace, fewer miles per day and with the benefits of the baggage transfer service to take the strain of our gear!

Good look TrekBliss - hope you do/did better than us.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917