The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36018 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3446 - 03/09/05 04:39 PM Info on stops & B&Bs
bb&gg Offline

Loc: East anglia/England
Last time we did it (a long time ago) we Camped, but hoping to do it a bit more Leisurely, and in comfort this time.

Are there any kind souls out there who can provide a decent Itinary, along with any recommended B&Bs Please.

I know there is info available on the site, but you cant beat the word of mouth recommendations of someone who has actually stayed in them.

Thanks...Georgygirl.

#3447 - 03/09/05 05:53 PM Re: Info on stops & B&Bs
paul ibbotson Offline

Loc: sheffield,england
i can recommend Camm farm(between oughter&dent head)very isolated but worth a look

#3448 - 04/09/05 12:56 AM Re: Info on stops & B&Bs
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
Just check the topic posted 13 June, The Good, the Bad and the Expensive. Lots of good info to get you started and maybe confuse you too. Where you stop really depends on how many miles per day you want to walk. The Sherpa route map is a big help in planning your mileage.
Good luck!

#3449 - 04/09/05 02:59 AM Re: Info on stops & B&Bs
HikeMania Offline

GG -- when are you planning on walking? The reason I'm asking is that I've planned an itinerary, complete with B&B info, but I haven't yet had the chance to test it out. If I walk before you do, I'll send you my itinerary, along with comments on how everything went. If you're going to walk before I walk, I can still send you the itinerary to see if it might help you with your plans. (Even though I don't have first-hand experience with it, I've selected B&Bs/nightstops based on other walkers' reviews, comments from this forum, and opinions from other hiking/walking websites,)

Have you seen these posts yet?

Also, in case you haven't seen this feature yet...
If you want walkers' comments on how they liked (or didn't like) certain B&Bs/hotels/etc., you can click on this page: http://www.sherpavan.com/accomm_booking/maps.asp?trail=DW
and then click on the towns (where you're thinking of staying) on the left side of the page.

Some of the B&Bs/hotels have a [img]http://www.sherpavan.com/accomm_booking/images/viewfeedback.gif[/img]
button for reviews from walkers who have stayed at those places during their walks.

Glebe Barn (Burnsall), and Romany Cottage (Buckden) received excellent reviews from walkers -- I'm looking forward to staying at each of those!

And on a related note -- has anyone stayed in the following places recently?? I looked on the Sherpa Van accommodation site linked above, and these places had limited or no opinions:

1) The Crown Inn, Addingham

2) Garda View, Dent (there's only one opinion, and it's from 2003)

Best wishes in your planning, and please let me know if you want to have a look at my itinerary. It's planned for an 8-day walk, if that's the sort of leisurely pace you're looking for.

[This message has been edited by HikeMania (edited 04 September 2005).]

#3450 - 14/09/05 01:19 PM Re: Info on stops & B&Bs
kevanliz Offline

Loc: London
Georgygirl

Not sure whether you have been or still planning

As we were going to have a week in the lakes after the dalesway we drove to Kendal, left car in hotel and our luggage carriers took us to the start at Ilkley

as you will have seen from previous link The Buck Inn at Buckden was terrible when we stayed in June, things may have changed but there are a few cheaper B+B nearby

We also stayed at The Manor House in Burnsall, good room, although we didn't eat there we were told the evening meal is worth the money. Pub nearby and the B+B take care of your wet gear.

Station Inn, Ribble Head. OK if you are stuck for other places to stay.

Dalesman Inn, Sedbergh. Great room and food

From here we went to Burneside but stayed a few miles down the road in Kendal from where we completed the last day getting out of Bowness as quickly as possible returning to Kendal for a night of pampering, massage and pedicure before heading off into the lakes.

Hotel in Kendal, Castle Green Hotel. wasn't cheap but cannot recommend enough, great staff, food, pool, spa

#3451 - 21/09/05 03:00 PM Re: Info on stops & B&Bs
Terrier200 Offline

Our planned itinerary was:
Kirkfield @ Grassington
Camm Farm
Garda View @ Dent
Punchbowl House @ Grayrigg
Belsfield House @ Bowness

However, due to me doing my leg in we didn't manage to complete the walk and only stayed at three of the places.

I've posted our views on the B&Bs on the other bit of this site but for info we found the:

Kirkfield very nice tho' could do with tea/coffee making in the room. The Black Horse in Grassington does excellent food so may be worth considering for B&B also.

Camm Houses room and food are fine, but would try and avoid if there's a shoot on the next day as we felt to be in the way at breakfast when she was trying to do preparations for later.

Punchbowl at Grayrigg was excellent - a small detour from the route but a lovley place with excellent food!

Hope this is some use - we'll be having another go next spring and hope to finish properly this time (plus we intend doing it over a longer period as the 5 days was a bit outside our capabilities - hence the dicky leg and subesquent blisters which cut short this attempt!)

#3452 - 22/09/05 12:55 PM Re: Info on stops & B&Bs
Merlin Offline

Loc: Herts, UK
Take a look at the message I posted on 21st Sept 'Advice & Info'. Itinerary and places I stayed are all there. All the best Merlin.

#3453 - 30/11/05 07:54 PM Re: Info on stops & B&Bs
g1uaz Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Have you seen the Dales Way Organisation Handbook, has lists of Accomodation addresses, I've used this numerous times, been on my own and with the wife, only had one poor accomodation. Happy walking.

#3454 - 06/12/05 08:42 PM Re: Info on stops & B&Bs
rab Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by bb&gg:
Last time we did it (a long time ago) we Camped, but hoping to do it a bit more Leisurely, and in comfort this time.

Are there any kind souls out there who can provide a decent Itinary, along with any recommended B&Bs Please.

I know there is info available on the site, but you cant beat the word of mouth recommendations of someone who has actually stayed in them.

Thanks...Georgygirl.

Hi
Completed walk after the foot & mouth, & overnighted at the following
* Grassington: B&B Craven Cottage (Mr & Mrs Cullingford) tel 01756 752205 Warm & Comfy, good early breakfast & pubs just down the road
* Yockenthwaite Farm B&B (Mrs Hird) Tel 01756 760835 Again good food, in the middle of nowhere but on the route itself
* Sportsman Inn Cowgill tel 015396 25282 Basic pub with good basic food to top up the calories. (Preferration given to guests stopping there) for food
* Mrs Parker, Thwaite, Howgill tel 015396 20493.(Farm) Again on route but fill up before you arrive as you have to pre book your meal! Good value for money but may be too remote & stop in Sedbergh instead
* The Jolly Angler,Burnside. Comfy bed but avoid
*Bowness Laurel Cottage St Martins Sq Bowness tel 015394 45594. Centre of Bowness, but many more establishments to choose from anyway
Hope this helps & enjoy yourself

#3455 - 07/12/05 08:49 PM Re: Info on stops & B&Bs
Journeyman Offline

Loc: Rotherham, South Yorkshire
I have walked the Dales Way each of the last 3 years. The first year was a standard 6 day walk but the last two years my wife & I have taken 9 walking days to enjoy the route, villages, scenery etc. I have stayed at the premises listed below, some on all three occasions and I highly recommend them all. Some are more expensive than others but you will not be disappointed with any.

Archway Cottage, Ilkley
Knowles Lodge, Howgill
Devonshire Hotel, Grassington
Romany Cottage, Buckden
Camm Farm, Camm Houses
River View, Lea Yeat
Bull Hotel, Sedbergh
High Barn, Shaw End, Patton Bridge
Hollin Root Farm, Garth Row
Eagle & Child, Staveley
Fairfield, Bowness.

Good luck with your planning and of course your walk.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917