The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3472 - 08/11/05 04:57 PM Re: Advice & Info
AnthonyRHeath Offline

Loc: Knottingley, nr Pontefract Yor...
Hi BB & GG
During the last10 years I have walked the Dales way 4 times and bits of it many times. The itinary you have set out is pretty much the one I have usually done and is quite straight forward. The pub at Ribblehead is actually the Station inn and will proberbly be your worst b&b of the week, but don't be put off,it is compensated for by the great views of Batty Moss (Ribblehead) viaduct out of your room window,(ask for a room at the back of the house, surely one of the greatest achievements of victorian engineering. Also beyond that is Whernside, the tallest of the Yorkshire dales 3 peaks. The station inn is actually on the alternative route into Dentdale, but in my opinion a far superior route than the official one. Distance wise it is about the same, but by going over a shoulder of Whernside and joining the old Craven way packhorse route the views down the full length of Dentdale are one of the highlights of the walk. Do this alternative route (better than several miles of road walking, or on lanes just skirting the road) and do stay at the station inn. If you require any info on anything to do with this walk just ask
Good luck, Robin H.

#3473 - 08/11/05 05:31 PM Re: Advice & Info
kevanliz Offline

Loc: London
Billy Boy + Georgy Girl

There is the 'Old Hill Inn' further down the road at Ribblehead. It's feasible to stay there but you are going to be adding some mileage to a day that is already on paper the hardest for you. Particularly if you get stuck around Cam Houses then the drop down into Ribblehead is along quite a badly churned up 4x4 bridleway and short road ( use right hand grass verge ). So you may not be in best mind for another few miles.

If you are though the path behind the Station Inn runs along the bottom of Whernside and back down right behind the Old Hill Inn. You can use same path next day to get back up to the Viaduct and then around the edge of Whernside to drop down into Dentdale

The alternative route around Whernside mentioned by Anthony was, for us, the best part of the walk.

There were a few points where you question if you are on the right path - mainly due to it's lack of use but the views across to DentHead are wonderfull. I think it is the only place you could stop enroute and get a full 360 degree vista of glorious scenary

[This message has been edited by kevanliz (edited 08 November 2005).]

[This message has been edited by kevanliz (edited 08 November 2005).]

[This message has been edited by kevanliz (edited 09 November 2005).]

#3474 - 08/11/05 06:46 PM Re: Advice & Info
AnthonyRHeath Offline

Just a thought regarding Kevanliz's comment on the 4x4 track. This is actually a well preserved Roman road built by Julious Agricola nearly 2000 years ago and tragically it has deteriorated more in the last 20 years due to 4x4 use than in the previous 2000. Enjoy it while you still can
Robin. H.

#3475 - 09/11/05 10:37 AM Re: Advice & Info
kevanliz Offline

Loc: London
Some people we met last year stayed here

Gearstones. Mrs.P.Wood,
Gearstones Barn Chapel-le-Dale LA6 3AS Tel: 015242 41169 Grid Ref: 780 800
Self catering provisions can be pre-ordered.
Double 1 single 2, Sitting Room. TV. Bathroom, fully equipped kitchen No smoking

If you get really stuck, depending on the time of day/year you arrive at Ribblehead and how you feel about having to stay somewhere that is actually on the track, one option would be catch the train one stop to Horton In Ribblesdale where there is much more choice and the legendary Pen y Ghent Cafe - although here you will be competing with Pennine Wayers for accomodation

#3476 - 09/11/05 11:25 AM Re: Advice & Info
Pumpkin Offline

bb&gg - just before Cam House you pass a number of derelict barns. Watch out as you have to turn right at one of them via a gate and go up. I failed to see the turning despite being on the map as it was raining and the path turned in a torrential stream! Had to climb over the wall as not possible to open the gate due to the force of the water.

If you fail to see the path you are tresspassing - whcih is what happended to me and I strayed into the path of a shooting party!! Arhg! (Tip - Cam House is visable up above on the right hand side if you have gone too far). Fortunately the party directed me to Cam House and I was very very kindly offered shelter from the rain and given coffee and fed with yummy chocolate cake!

The path after Cam House is well worn and no signs for a while. Don't worry. The views would have been great but for the fog. Heavy rain and fog spoiled it a bit...BUT still recommend it. I must admit that this part of the walk is the most grim bit if you get lost and by yourself.

#3477 - 09/11/05 11:33 AM Re: Advice & Info
Pumpkin Offline

bb&gg - Station Inn - okay not the most fantasitc place but the staff were friendly and helpful plus the food good. Bless the dry room and the tumble drier!!!

After Ribblehead I gave up my walk due to the foul weather. Note from Buckden to Sedgburgh there is only one bus route that runs on sat and wed only. So if you get tired or other problems you are stuffed whcih is what happened to me.

Hopefully this will not happend to you but just in case....after Ribbleshead I took the train (next to Station Inn) to Dent to make the wlk to Sedgburgh shorter as feeling wet and miserable. Was told that the stop after Dent would better as its all downhill from there. (But as it was the family living next to Dent station very kindly gave me a lift to Kendal!!)

#3478 - 09/11/05 03:32 PM Re: Advice & Info
bb&gg Offline

Loc: East anglia/England
Pumkin, Kevanliz, anthonyHeath,Merlin, thank you all for some very usefull info , i certainly feel a bit more at ease now.
I suppose all there is left is to get it booked. Is it better to book the Station inn(the only one), and work outwards from there.
Georgygirl.x

[This message has been edited by bb&gg (edited 09 November 2005).]

#3479 - 14/11/05 01:22 PM Re: Advice & Info
bb&gg Offline

Loc: East anglia/England
BURNSIDE.....Just found out that the Garnett house, owners are retiring in May 2006, and it will no longer be a B&B option.
Which leaves The Jolly Anglers as the only one left to book.

#3480 - 14/11/05 04:39 PM Re: Advice & Info
JL Offline

Stayed at Jolly angler in May, rooms were dirty and one of our party had food poisioning from the fish pie. The worst place we stayed on the walk.

#3481 - 14/11/05 05:01 PM Re: Advice & Info
AnthonyRHeath Offline

The place to stay at when you reach Burneside is the Station Inn at Kendal. When you reach Burneside give them a ring and they pick you up, after breakfast you get dropped off where you were picked up. Another big advantage of this is you get the choice of dozens of places to eat in Kendal. All their details are on this site

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917