The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3492 - 21/02/06 07:01 PM Whats it Like
AndyWalker Offline

Hi,
My previous walking experience has been doing the Pennine Way in sections and doing the C2C in one hit. I appempted to do the PW in one hit last year, which failed due to a mumber of reasons including heat and a back injury.
My question is how does the Dales way compare to the PW in terms of difficulty, scenery, etc etc. Was thinking of attempting the PW again this year but dont think I can get the time needed.Was thinking of the Dales way as a nice weeks walk. But dont want anything too easy and nice and remote.

Andy

#3493 - 21/02/06 10:12 PM Re: Whats it Like
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Hi,
The Dales Way is a walk mainly through wide green valleys following the banks of five rivers with a wild moorland section for a few miles at halfway. You pass through some lovely dales villages with great pubs. It is a walk to be enjoyed rather than a challenge. Compared to the Pennine way or the C2C it is easy, but beautiful. I have done it both ways and six times in total, I may do it again this year, however I do it non stop in around 30 hours, now that is a challenge!
Dave.

#3494 - 21/02/06 11:24 PM Re: Whats it Like
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
I agree with Slogger.I have done the walk three or four times myself and have always enjoyed it due to the outstanding scenery.

#3495 - 22/02/06 08:02 AM Re: Whats it Like
kevanliz Offline

Loc: London
Andy

Ithink you would find the Dales Way to be a totally different walking experience to both the PW and C2C, very scenic but relatively undemanding

please feel free to read our Dales Way journal
http://journals.aol.co.uk/kevanliz/kevandlizlittletreksinabigworld

#3496 - 22/02/06 09:43 AM Re: Whats it Like
Journeyman Offline

Loc: Rotherham, South Yorkshire
A great journal of Kevanliz and a good summary of the Dales Way from Slogger - no thanks for the 30 hours non stop.

Andy, like other contributors I have walked the Dales Way several times and enjoyed the entire experience every time - I plan to do it again in 2007. The standard is 6 days but you could make it more of a challenge by doing it in 4 if you wish.

If the shortage of hills/mountains puts you off you could always add some without going far off route e.g. Great Whernside and/or Buckden Pike in Wharfedale, Whernside from Ribblehead and then down into Dent via the Craven Way or Occupation Road - this would miss oit that road section from just above Dent Head Viaduct to Lea Yeat. There is also the option to take in one or more of the Howgill fells above Sedbergh. Perhaps the addition of some hills is more suitable to those who have walked the Dales Way before but it is an option and would not change the overnight stays on the Dales Way.

#3497 - 12/04/06 08:41 PM Re: Whats it Like
happywalker Offline

Loc: england
We did the Dales way a few years ago, it is very beautiful and scenic. Easy walking (Weve done C2C,WHW doing PW this year). Its a lovely weeks holiday, and ending at bowness is a bonus if you love the lakes, if a bit of a schock after the quiet of the dales.

#3498 - 15/04/06 08:28 PM Re: Whats it Like
TJ Offline

Loc: wiltshire. england
We did the Dales Way a couple of years ago. as we were in the lakes we rounded off a great walk by adding on the first day of Wainwrights memorial walk from windermere to patterdale...wonderful. We had used Brigantes along the dales way and they also did the extra move to patterdale for us.

#3499 - 06/05/06 03:52 PM Re: Whats it Like
Rinty Offline

Loc: Wrexham
Just finished the Dales Way on 4th May. It took us 6 days from Ilkley to Bowness. This was our 4th long distance path and by far the easiest. A lot of valley walking with a short stretch over moorland between Buckden and Dent. Plenty of good B&B's and pubs on the way.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917