The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3515 - 23/03/06 04:48 PM Buckden village
Journeyman Offline

Loc: Rotherham, South Yorkshire
I am a regular visitor to Buckden in Wharfedale and like many other Dales Way walkers I have stayed in the village on many occasions whilst passing through - usually at Romany Cottage.

I note from comments made by Dales Way walkers over the past year that they have been disappointed at the fall in standards at the Buck Inn. I thought it may be useful for '2006 would be Dales Way walkers' to know that the Buck Inn in under new management. I am visiting Wharefdale for a few days next week and I will be able to give a more accurate report about the Buck.

Also I thought it may be useful to inform Dales Way walkers that my wife and I regularly eat at Buckden Village Restaurant - not just whilst walking the Dales Way or walking in Wharefdale but when we are having a sight seeing holiday around the Dales. John and Gordon are great hosts and provide excellent food and service. John provides a little light entertainment and the banter is brilliant. Gordon's bilberry and almond tart is outstanding. The Bucklden Village Restaurant is well worth considering if you intend staying in Buckden on the Dales Way.

#3516 - 24/03/06 06:05 AM Re: Buckden village
Heatha Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire, England
I'll second that last paragraph. I just wish I lived nearer to Buckden and could sample food at the Buckden Village Restaurant and enjoy John's sense of humour more often.

#3517 - 24/03/06 07:07 PM Re: Buckden village
rab Offline

Loc: England
I am walking the Lady Annes Way in May this year & any info for evening meals opening/closing times would be most useful thanks
rab

#3518 - 24/03/06 08:46 PM Re: Buckden village
Journeyman Offline

Hello Rab

The Buckden Village Restaurant is open from 6pm to 845pm every day except Wednesday. It depends whate date in May you are passing through Buckden but you shouldn't have a problem in just walking in and getting a table BUT I suggest you ring in advance to book a table especially if it is Spring bank holiday time. The number is 01756 760257 ask for John or Gordon and tell them where you are staying.

The reason they like to know where you are staying is that several of the Buckden B & B owners give John and indication that they have x amount of guests who may/may not want a meal. Have you booked your accommodation in Buckden? I recommend Romany Cottage (details can be seen on the Sherpa site). Tim & Gwen will certainly make you feel welcome with their home made lemon drizzle cake and tea/coffee and their breakfasts with home made preserves are to die for.

As I said in an earlier post I am visiting Buckden next week and I'll let you know if there are any changes - unless you have made contact with John or Gordon in the meantime.

Good luck with your planning and your walk, the Lady Anne Way is a great walk.

#3519 - 25/03/06 09:49 AM Re: Buckden village
rab Offline

Loc: England
Hello Journeyman
thanks for your reply, indead I am staying at Romany Cottage. It makes a change to be able to eat elsewhere than the Buck Inn as the last time I was in that area (post foot & mouth problems) I was fleeced into paying 2.75 a pint for OP, being a yorkshireman I am not tight on the pocket but 2.75 was the biscuit!
thanks
rab

#3520 - 26/03/06 12:43 PM Re: Buckden village
AnthonyRHeath Offline

Loc: Knottingley, nr Pontefract Yor...
The last time Trish & myself stayed at Romany cottage last April, Tim kindly ran us up to the White Lion at Cray in his car, its only about a mile away but it was bucketing down with rain at the time. We had a far better time there than at the over priced Buck where I have been dissapointed the last couple of times I have visited.
Robin.H.
P.S. If you are doing the dales way or staying at Buckden for any other reason Tim & Gwens Romany Cottage is the place to stay at 10 out of ten

#3521 - 20/04/06 07:15 PM Re: Buckden village
Lesley Walsh Offline

Loc: UK
I am rather puzzled by this post as I went to the Buck Inn on Easter Saturday only to find that there were no meals for non residents as the staff had all walked out. Rather strangely, the landlord had also gone away for the weekend. The general opinion from the other residents I spoke to in the village was that this was commonplace under the current management who had been in place (or not as the case may be) for 18 months. So where is the "new management"?

#3522 - 20/04/06 09:08 PM Re: Buckden village
Journeyman Offline

I am also puzzled as I was told by a reliable member of the village community that it was under new managment - clearly this is not the case as yet. I did not get into Buckden as planned prior to Easter so I couldn't check. It is disappointing to hear the news because it has a knock on effect in the village - perhaps rab can assist as he stayed in the village recently.

#3523 - 22/04/06 06:36 PM Re: Buckden village
buckdener Offline

Loc: Buckden,North Yorks, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Journeyman:
I am also puzzled as I was told by a reliable member of the village community that it was under new managment - clearly this is not the case as yet. I did not get into Buckden as planned prior to Easter so I couldn't check. It is disappointing to hear the news because it has a knock on effect in the village - perhaps rab can assist as he stayed in the village recently.

I live in Buckden. We were told in February that the landlord no longer had anything to do with the pub - alas this turned out to be untrue so the present disaster continues. I shall post as soon as we hear for certain that the lease has changed hands, in the meantime my advice would be to avoid the Buck.

#3524 - 22/04/06 07:47 PM Re: Buckden village
Journeyman Offline

Many thanks Buckdener - I endorse your comments and look forward to a rosy future for the village - which I love dearly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917