The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3529 - 11/04/06 11:15 PM Walking in August
OLDMAN Walker Offline

Loc: UK
Hi
Am walking the dalesway in August with a fellow old timer. last year we did the Offa's Way and camped (with tent) and stayed in Band Bs. This year we are aiming for a lot more flexibility by taking bivvy bags. Does anyone have any advice or experience of using bivvys on the way and any suggestions for places to try. We have not bivvied before but would like to before real old age creeps in.

#3530 - 12/04/06 09:55 AM Re: Walking in August
tonyk Offline

I have used bivvies in the past but its been during long distance fell runs where a tent wouldn't be practical.They are okay if you intend to doss down for the night and be up again at 4am but if you are on holiday you certainly won't want to be walking from dawn to dusk.Main problem in August is insects,flies,moths,midges etc,they will drive you mad if you are sitting out in the open.Bivvies are also a problem in wet weather as there is no where to put wet clothes.Its simply a matter of sleeping in wet clothes and drying out overnight.Give it a go but don't expect it to be pleasant.

#3531 - 22/04/06 12:01 PM Re: Walking in August
ernest smith Offline

Loc: east yorkshire , england
Hi OlDMAN WALKER,
a mate and i did walk the dales way years ago and used bivy bags,
we used to strip down to our under clothes and put them in to the top of our rucksack, put our rucksack in our gagool with the clothes at the top to act as a pillow, sleeping bag in the bivy bag and get inside the bag the pull the rucksack down with the pillow part inside and the gagool over the top, it is all right as long as you get an hollow for your hip bone.
personaly though i would prefer b&b
it's just that one has more plexibilaty
with times (and money)with a bag or a light tent.
look forward to hear how you come on.
have a good walk
regards
ern

#3532 - 22/04/06 03:54 PM Re: Walking in August
OLDMAN Walker Offline

Cheers Ern
thanks for the advice.
Will let you know how I do. Can you remember where you 'camped'?

#3533 - 22/04/06 04:40 PM Re: Walking in August
ernest smith Offline

hi oldmanWalker,
glad to be of help, cannot remember off hand , itis such along while ago, i think most of the places were hidden discretly out of sight, if i find out in my diaries i will do another post.

#3534 - 24/04/06 06:43 PM Re: Walking in August
ernest smith Offline

Hi OLDMAN WAlker
found my diary, we camped in grasswoods at Grassmere first night,Beckermonds second night, but make sure you do not camp on the flood plain, we found a good campsite at Dent on the third night and at Burnside we camped at the hall( ithink it was a farm)
all this was way back in 1979 so things might have altered now, oh and by the way we had one man tents on this walk, it was the Ebor Way when we bivied also bivied on the Wolds Way,
regards
ern

#3535 - 24/04/06 07:05 PM Re: Walking in August
OLDMAN Walker Offline

Cheers Ern much appreciated.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917