The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3536 - 16/04/06 11:27 PM Walking with children
Liz Offline

Loc: Wimbledon
We are planning to walk the DW in July with our girls (7 & (9). Both good walkers. We are starting in Bowness to end with family in Ilkley.
Any tips or recommendations for good places to stay?

#3537 - 17/04/06 08:31 AM Re: Walking with children
Journeyman Offline

Loc: Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Hello Liz

I'm not sure of how many days you would like to take but I have walked the DW three times (Ilkley to Bowness) and stayed at the following places - all highly recommended. The following recommendations are based on the standard 6 walking days - there is a long stage between Dentdale and Wharfdale whichever way you walk in 6 days.

Your post does not indicate whether you are staying in Bowness but it is more expensive than others, especially in July, so a tip would be to stay just outside Bowness and catch the bus in to the start e.g. stay in Staveley - The Eagle & Child is great.

Day one - Mrs Sue Sanderson, High Barn, Patton - 01539 824625. Sue provides evening meals and you will not be disappointed with her beautiful house and gardens.

Day two - Mrs Cox, Bridge House, Brigflatts - 01539 621820. Just outside Sedbergh but another wonderful B&B. Planety of choice for evening meals in Sedbergh if you wish to walk into the town.

Day three - Margaret Playfoot, River View, Lea Yeat - 01539 625592. Margaret also provides evening meals. Another wonderful cottage in a beautiful setting. The Sportsmans pub is about three quarters of a mile away but you would need to book evening meals in advance.

Day four - Gwen Berry, Romany Cottage, Buckden - 01756 760365. A little gem of a B & B. I suggest you eat at Buckden Villaghe restaurant (I have posted details of this place in an earlier thread about Buckden Village).

Day five - Alison Fort, Glebe Barn, Burnsall - 01756 720680. What can I say - another wonderful home and setting.

Day six - you are going to Ilkley and you mentioned you have family in Ilkley.

If you wish to break up the longer day from Dentdale to Wharfedale then I recommend Camm Farm. Staying at Camm Farm gives you two shorter days and more flexibility as to where to stay in Dentdale and Wharfedale. It is on the DW route and an extremely isolated but fabulous place to stay. Janet and Alan run the place for the owner Ian Wallace and they provide evening meals. Tel 07860 648045 for the mobile phone at Camm Farm or 01132 711339 for Ian Wallace in Leeds.

I am sure other contributors to this forum will back the above up but also suggest others. I am sure your family will thoroughly enjoy the walk - good luck.

[This message has been edited by Journeyman (edited 17 April 2006).]

#3538 - 17/04/06 09:31 AM Re: Walking with children
Heatha Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire, England
I'd endorse a lot of Journeyman's comments. I'll add a few of my own from last year:

If you want to stop at Dent:
Stone Close Tea Room
Main Street, Dent, Sedbergh, LA10 5QL
Tel: 015396 25231
is highly recommended and the Sun Inn does good evening meals and is happy with children.

Camm House Farm is truly amazing! It now has 4 diamonds for B&B. I'd go back there any time, just for the views!

In Buckden choose Romany Cottage (Tim and Gwen) if they are not fully booked, and for food the Village Restaurant is very, very good.

I stayed in Hebden rather than Burnsall:
Mrs Kitching, Court Croft
Church Lane, Hebden, Burnsall North Yorkshire BD23 6DX
Tel: 01756 753406
She did an evening meal for me at my request, and the lamb (their own) was to die for. She has children of her own (the youngest is a bit older than yours).

Hope you have as good a walk as I did!

Enjoy yourselves,

Heatha.

#3539 - 17/04/06 03:40 PM Re: Walking with children
Liz Offline

Loc: Wimbledon
Thank you those are really helpful ideas. From both your posts, it sounds as though we should be organising our stops around the idyllic Camm Farm!! I think the suggestion to break it there sounds very good advice. Although we do have good walkers, we don't want to demoralise them or get stuck with tired legs and no way out.

Family is actually in Kettlewell (lucky us!!!) so I'm fairly well informed Ilkley to Hubberholme. But beyond that it will be a big adventure!

#3540 - 17/04/06 06:48 PM Re: Walking with children
Heatha Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire, England
Hi Liz,

A bit different to Wimbledon but you'll enjoy it. I was out at Kettlewell on Saturday morning to walk up Great Whernside and it stayed fine for me. Back via Starbotton and along the river. Home for lunch. Wonderful country. I'm so lucky to live relatively near.

Enjoy your walk,

Heatha.

#3541 - 20/04/06 08:01 PM Re: Walking with children
rab Offline

Loc: England
Hi
After stopping at the sportsmans inn at cowgill, might be worth trying Liz Hird at Yockenthwaite farm, just to break the journey between Dent & Kettlewell. Middle of nowhere, but good breakfasts

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917