The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3562 - 04/07/06 04:36 PM Re: Walking The Dales Way in 2006?
bb&gg Offline

Loc: East anglia/England
Thanks to everyone who passed on info for bb&gg.
everything booked and starting Sunday morning 9th july. from Ilkley.

Glebe Barn...................Burnsall.
Romany Cottage...............Buckden.
Station Inn..................Ribblehead.
Wheelwright Cottage..........Sedbergh.
Bridge House.................Kendal.
Bridge House.................kendal.

Had a bit of difficulty booking into Windermere (wanted 2 day w/end bookings only) So Mrs Brindley (Sheila, a lovely Lady), at Bridge House said i could park and leave my car at hers, so it will be there waiting for me at the finish.
So on the last morning we walk into Windermere to finish the walk, have some lunch and a look around, and then get a train back to Kendal, a journey which only takes half an hour.
Apparently, (so sheila tells me), the train stops right outside Bridge House, which was once the Station Masters House.

So thanks again to all who offered tips, ideas, and suggestions to help our cause.

Billyboy & Georgygirl

[This message has been edited by bb&gg (edited 04 July 2006).]

#3563 - 04/07/06 07:27 PM Re: Walking The Dales Way in 2006?
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
How are you walking point to point everyday, and still having the use of a car, am I missing something here?
Dave.

#3564 - 04/07/06 08:16 PM Re: Walking The Dales Way in 2006?
Journeyman Offline

Loc: Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Good luck Billyboy and Georgygirl - I am sure you will enjoy your walk.

#3565 - 04/07/06 11:03 PM Re: Walking The Dales Way in 2006?
bb&gg Offline

Yeah slogger, I am driving up from Cambridge area on Saturday, and picking up a third party member on route, straight to Kendal and park the car at Bridge house. Have arranged with Sherpa to taxi me back to Ilkley for Saturday night B&B.
Start walking on Sunday morning. I should have explained it a bit better i suppose.

Thanks again everybody.........Billyboy.

#3566 - 05/07/06 01:55 AM Re: Walking The Dales Way in 2006?
HikeMania Offline

Best wishes, and hope you have lots of fun, bb & gg!

I look forward to reading your post-walk account. Please include your thoughts about the accommodation, e.g., is the side-trip to Ribblehead and nightstop at the Station Inn worth it -- thanks!

#3567 - 05/07/06 01:47 PM Re: Walking The Dales Way in 2006?
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
BillyBoy,
I didnt know you could use the Sherpa service in that way, thats good info for others planning their walk.
Dave.

#3568 - 05/07/06 11:01 PM Re: Walking The Dales Way in 2006?
bb&gg Offline

Didnt know myself.........
After arranging the second stay at Bridge House i asked Mrs Brindley if any local taxi firms would run me back to Ilkley, the one i did ring wanted to charge me the earth so i rang Sherpa and asked them if they knew any others in the Area.
He just asked how many people, how many bags, If you are at bridge house at 3.45 we can do that for you.
And that was how it came about, and the price he gave me was nearly 50% less than the taxi firm.

[This message has been edited by bb&gg (edited 05 July 2006).]

#3569 - 22/07/06 08:55 PM Re: Walking The Dales Way in 2006?
bb&gg Offline

Hi Peeps, been back almost a week now but had so many bits and pieces to catch up on. Now its time i got round to giving you the lowdown on B&Bs and places to eat.

BURNSALL...Glebe Barn, very comfortable very pleasant landlady, excellent stop.
Ate at The Red Lion, go for the Bar Menu(same food, less expensive).
BUCKDEN...Romany Cottage, super greeting from Tim with Pots of tea and lemon cake on arrival, sitting outdoors enjoying the View.
And Gwen did us proud with packed lunches that would have kept an army Marching for Days, What a super Couple, Highly recommended.
Because of the demise of the Buck Inn, Tim had booked us into "The Village Restaurant" Where we were Watered and Fed very well, and kept highly entertained By John. (Not the only Gay in the Village). [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/wink.gif[/img]
RIBBLEHEAD...Station Inn, Found it to be very Comfortable, Georgygirl wasnt too sure about it, and i was a bit wary because of some previous posts i'd read, but it turned out OK. The Food was fine and the Ale was Good, and we slept well.
SEDBURGH...Wheelwright Cottage Nice lady, quite comfortable, but its a very old cottage and needs the windows and doors opening more often, old and musty smell.
Ate at the Dalesman, good food, good beer, so all was well with the world.
Kendal...Bridge House, Sheila couldnt do enough for us, Pots of tea and biscuits on arrival, and long interesting conversations, even ran us back to the walk next morning. A very good stop.
Ate in Paolo Gianni's italian restaurant, very good food at reasonable prices, they do a happy hour until 6.30, get 2 meals for the price of 1, but we got there too late, we dont normally eat until 8pm. Worth paying them a visit.
Also stayed at Bridge House the next night.
This time we Ate at Weatherspoons, also had cheap food and cheap beer, which was great.So it was an early start after Breakfast, because my car had been parked there for a week just waiting for me.
A really enjoyable week, so thanks again for all the help you peeps gave us in the arranging period.

Billyboy & Georgygirl

[This message has been edited by bb&gg (edited 22 July 2006).]

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917