The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3574 - 15/05/06 12:54 PM Buckden and area
Patrick Offline

Loc: Scotland
I have long connections to Buckden and can confirm The Buck has gone rapidly downhill.However, please keep supporting the village as the state of The Buck is adversely affecting everyone who lives in the village and area.Romany Cottage and West Winds are excellent for B&B and Gordon and John will,as evidenced by other writers to the forum, pile your plates high with good food.Other possibilities are Debbie and Kevin's White Lion at Cray, further away but very welcoming,with excellent food and rooms in lovely surroundings.The George,an ancient inn full of character, at Hubberhome, is worth a look and the Fox and Hounds at Starbotton is coming up again and has refurbished rooms too.In Kettlewell there is the Fox and Hounds and, if you believe in following a good hotel manager from place to place, The Bluebell should be worth looking at as it is under new management.

#3575 - 15/05/06 03:13 PM Re: Buckden and area
Journeyman Offline

Loc: Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Hello Patrick,

I fully endorse your comments and as you will have gathered from a previous thread I love Buckden and indeed the rest of Upper Wharfedale. There are plenty of excellent B& B's and pubs and it is unfortunate that the situation at the Buck has not improved. Buckden is at the hub of several long distance walks including the Inn Way and Lady Anne's Way and it is therefore important to walkers that the village survives - I am sure it will. Gordon & John will perhaps be a little busier than usual but they will provide excellent food and service to those who visitthe Buckden Village Restaurant.

What I say to walkers is do not be put off by the situation at the Buck - it will come good again giving us the additional option in Buckden.

#3576 - 22/05/06 05:47 PM Re: Buckden and area
MutantBuster Offline

Loc: Newcastle upon Tyne
Just finished walking the Inn Way with my wife. We had a great time despite the weather over the last 3 days!

Stayed in Romany Cottage and can fully endorse others' comments about the hospitality and Gwen's breakfast. Did the Cumbria Way last year and the Romany breakfast was the best of all so far.

We ate with John and Gordon - what an entertaining evening. The food was excellent, but they do need to expand their wine list. We'd happily have paid more for a decent red.

The chat inevitably turned to the Buck Inn - the locals clearly feel very strongly about it. We were so intrigued that we decided to go there after our meal to see for ourselves. But there wasn't a soul in there and it looked most unwelcoming, so we didn't go in. A great pity as we went in some great village pubs on the Inn Way.

#3577 - 03/06/06 05:56 PM Re: Buckden and area
buckdener Offline

Loc: Buckden,North Yorks, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:
I have long connections to Buckden and can confirm The Buck has gone rapidly downhill.However, please keep supporting the village as the state of The Buck is adversely affecting everyone who lives in the village and area.Romany Cottage and West Winds are excellent for B&B and Gordon and John will,as evidenced by other writers to the forum, pile your plates high with good food.Other possibilities are Debbie and Kevin's White Lion at Cray, further away but very welcoming,with excellent food and rooms in lovely surroundings.The George,an ancient inn full of character, at Hubberhome, is worth a look and the Fox and Hounds at Starbotton is coming up again and has refurbished rooms too.In Kettlewell there is the Fox and Hounds and, if you believe in following a good hotel manager from place to place, The Bluebell should be worth looking at as it is under new management.

The new manager at The Blue Bell in Kettlewell is Chalky Whyte, whom you may remeber from his days at the Buck - you will find good food, a warm welcome - and some very bad jokes! (At least if you're a Leeds Untied fan!)

#3578 - 03/06/06 06:40 PM Re: Buckden and area
Journeyman Offline

Loc: Rotherham, South Yorkshire
I have done a couple of high level circular walks above Wharfedale in the past week and my start/finish was Kettlewell. I called in to the Blue Bell after each walk and noticed that Chalky was there. I take it he has moved to the Blue Bell from the Tennants Arms where I saw him a couple of months ago. I have always found the Blue Bell a good pub for drink and food - the only drawback for the Dales Way is that Kettlewell is not a natural overnight stay. It is however a natural overnight stay on the Inn Way.

The nearest I got to Buckden was Buckden Pike from the memorial Cross. What's happening at the Buck?

[This message has been edited by Journeyman (edited 03 June 2006).]

#3579 - 05/06/06 11:22 AM Re: Buckden and area
buckdener Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Journeyman:
The nearest I got to Buckden was Buckden Pike from the memorial Cross. What's happening at the Buck?

[This message has been edited by Journeyman (edited 03 June 2006).][/B]

Much the same at the Buck - I went in on Bank Holiday Monday and found it cold, dirty and unwelcoming - we live in hope of improvement but I don't think there's going to be any change until we get a new landlord

#3580 - 05/06/06 11:36 AM Re: Buckden and area
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
"cold, dirty and unwelcoming" - but that's just to keep away all the toffs in their flash cars wanting gourmet food, a ploy to save the pub for the locals and the walkers with their muddy boots and dripping cagoules.

#3581 - 06/06/06 05:13 PM Re: Buckden and area
buckdener Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard:
"cold, dirty and unwelcoming" - but that's just to keep away all the toffs in their flash cars wanting gourmet food, a ploy to save the pub for the locals and the walkers with their muddy boots and dripping cagoules.

I am a local - and the only one who ever goes into the place - it's grim.

#3582 - 16/07/06 08:05 PM Re: Buckden and area
throbnob Offline

Loc: Southampton
I spent a week in a holiday cottage in Buckden at the end of June with the family - very enjoyable. We often heard gossip about the Buck from the locals. What is the state of play now, six weeks on?

The first day we were there we popped into the Buck to see if we could borrow a menu to mull over at our leisure. The bar staff were in a panic as the chef had just walked out, and they'd had to hire a young lad to step in - and there was a birthday party booked that night. The place was deserted, BTW.

Within a couple of days we'd received several warnings about the place and never went back.

Towards the end of our stay we heard that several members of staff had walked out,that the police had turned up, there was something about tax evasion... and rumours were flying thick and fast.

We treated ourselves to a great meal at John's on our last night, and much of the conversation amongst those dining was about the pub. I've been curious about developments since!

Rob,
Veteran of Buckden Pike - the wrong way.

#3583 - 17/07/06 08:25 AM Re: Buckden and area
bev1 Offline

Loc: yorks,uk
How do you do Buckden pike the wrong way...??Have done it many ways,but didnt realise there was yet another alternative!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917