The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3588 - 11/06/06 12:49 PM "Non Stop"
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
I arrived at my hotel in the Ilkley Thurday evening, The Riverside Hotel. It couldnt really have closer to the start at the Bridge. I noticed that the Dales Way information board there has at last got the distance correct at 84 miles even though the signpost states 82 mile. A couple of pints later I was looking forward to a good nights sleep, unfortunatly I had no sooner put my head on the pillow when the occupant in the next room began using a hammer drill, and the vibrations went right through me. Not really a drill but some unbelievably loud snoring. 3.10am and I still hadnt had a wink of sleep, but sometime after that he either quietened off or my exhaustion overcame the din. I awoke at 7am.
At 8.30am I was off and it was very warm already. Cap on back to front to protect my neck and Camel Back 2 lts full.
I set a 3mph overall target that would get me finished at Bowness at 1153am Saturday morning. Walking faster than that pace I reached Burnsall in 3hrs 34min, Kettlewell in 6hrs 40min and I was at Yokenthwaite at 6pm after 9hrs 30min.
I had to stop to attend to bad blisters on both heels shortly after this. They were worse than I feared about the size of a fifty pence piece and bulging. Feet in the river to cool off, had some food (Took my time) blisters popped and compeed on, clean socks and see how they feel. The pain was hardly bearable but from previous experience I knew, you could get used to it. I hadnt gone more than a couple hundred yards and I seriously considered abandonment, or even turning round and walking back towards Ilkley. I didnt want to end up on the moor in the middle of the night hardly able to move, and had the weather been against me, abandon the walk, I would have done.
Anyway I decided to give it a bit more distance and after about 20 minutes the pain started to ease off, so I carried on.
I had lost 53 minutes during the stop.
Cam Houses after 12hrs 32min. Over the varient and into Dentdale where darkness descended, and past the Sportsmans Inn at around 1120pm.
By the time I reached Dent (1am) my blisters were giving renewed agony. I reached Sedburgh after 18hrs 42min and daylight was returning.
Between Sedburgh and Crook Of Lune Bridge I lost a further 40 minutes after somehow turning a full 180 degrees and backtracking without realising it. I was so mad with myself, CONCENTRATE, I told myself as I got back on track, cursing.
The time was slipping away now, the sun and its heat fiercer than ever. I stopped at every water source I came across, filling my cap and replacing it on my head, just allowing the water to run down me. My burning legs and arms thoroughly dowsed, I battled on towards journeys end, which I eventually hobbled to at 1:53pm after a total time of 29hrs 23mins.
A couple of pints of Extra Cold Guinness, a Cumberland Sausage meal at the Village Inn in Bowness, a taxi, train and another taxi I was back home for 5pm.
Today Sunday I have performed self minor surgery on both heels and hope I will be able to wear shoes tommorrow as I am back at work.
Once again I finished this trip of self imposed agony, saying NEVER AGAIN! Alas, though, I am already thinking about what I can do to make the next trip more comfortable. Oh, if only I could stop myself doing these kind of things. But the truth is I am addicted and just cant help myself.
Be Warned, once you try it, theres no stopping it.
Dave.

#3589 - 11/06/06 01:48 PM Re: "Non Stop"
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Dave,

It sounds more like trial by ordeal than a walk! Many years ago I set out to walk from Hawes to Edale over weekend,a distance of 108 miles.After 45 miles I had blisters similar to those you describe and it felt like someone was driving a hot knife into my feet.Nothing seemed to work,not even compeed,and I eventually gave up and hobbled back to Thornton.It was a week before I could walk properly again.God knows how you managed to continue in this heat but well done and I am sure you will come back even stronger.

#3590 - 11/06/06 02:42 PM Re: "Non Stop"
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Slogger, For such occasions it's best either to invest a smsll sum in a pair of earplugs or to drink as much as he did during the evening so that you sleep, and probably snore, just as well.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917