The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3595 - 29/06/06 02:12 AM First the C2C and then The Dales Way
Gulf Islanders Offline

Loc: Gabriola Island,BC,Canada
We are two West Coast Canadians (late 50's)who just finished the C2C in 14 days. Our favourite part (mainly because of the people) was the Yorkshire Dales. We are already planning our June, 2007 walk and thought The Dales Way would be a lovely second walk in England.

Can anyone tell us what would be a reasonable number of days for this walk?

Where would you start (I know, at the beginning)?

Many thanks for any advice.

#3596 - 29/06/06 08:41 AM Re: First the C2C and then The Dales Way
Journeyman Offline

Loc: Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Hello Gulf Islanders and congratulations on completion of the C2C. Being a Yorkshireman I am particularly fond of the Yorkshire Dales and having completed the Dales Way 3 times and other circular walks in the Dales I feel qualified to give some advice but I am sure others will offer similar.

The Dales Way is nowhere near as tough as the C2C. It is principally a walk along a series of rivers from Ilkley to Bowness on Windemere.

Although the official start is Ilkley there are link routes to Ilkley starting in Bradford, Leeds and Harrogate. Ilkley is not too far from Leeds/Bradford airport.

I recommend two books. Firstly the Dales Way Handbook published in January every year. This contains lots of useful information about the walk and accommodation. It costs 1.50p and can be obtained via the Dalesway Association website at
www.dalesway.org.uk

Secondly, the best guide book by far is the Dales Way Route Guide (7th edition) by Arthur Gemmell and Colin Speakman. This costs 5.99 and can be obtained from a number of sources including the publishers STILE Publications, 16 Denton Road, Middleton, Ilkley LS29 0AA.

You ask how long will it take. Well thge simple answer how long do you want it to take. The Ilkley to Bowness route can be walked in the standard 6 days. My wife and I took 9 days on one of our walks as we wanted to spend a half day in Grassington, half day in Sedbergh and half day in Bowness before returning home the next day.

Good luck with your planning, if I can be of further assistance then do not hesitate to ask. The Dalesway Association website contains other information that may be of use to you in your research/planning.

#3597 - 29/06/06 03:31 PM Re: First the C2C and then The Dales Way
Gulf Islanders Offline

Loc: Gabriola Island,BC,Canada
Journeyman,

Thank you for your kind response and helpful information. I have already sent off an e-mail to the Dalesway Association requesting the cost to mail their publication to Canada (not on their web site)

Now if only the weather will cooperate next June...The weather was hot and dry for all 14 days of our C2C walk this year. We lugged fleece, gloves, long underwear, gaiters, waterproof outerware,extra shirts etc. for nothing. We wore the same shorts and shirt for the whole trip (occasionally washed out, of course)- thank you, Columbia for your wonderful synthetics. However, Murphy's Law being what it is, if we had not taken all the extra clothes......

It looks like we can get from Manchester Airport to the start of the walk in a couple of hours and trains run twice an hour. In Canada, trains other than commuter runs around several large cities are virtually non-existant. So, it comes as a big shock to find out how wonderful the English train system is. There is no rhyme or reason as to how fares are calculated (we paid GBP10 to get from Manchester Apt to St. Bees - 4+ hrs and three trains but almost GBP40 on a 2 hr train ride from Scarborough back to airport). For overseas walkers, it pays to buy rail tickets in advance and to research alternatives at www.nationalrail.co.uk

Thanks again

#3598 - 10/09/06 11:31 PM Re: First the C2C and then The Dales Way
Graham S Offline

Loc: Pontefract
I enjoyed a magnificent Dales Way experience with my wife and two children (then 11 and 9) over 6 days during the Whitsuntide holiday in 2002. We thoroughly enjoyed the whole journey and have all since completed the C2C and Pennine Way, albeit using a baggage service.

On the Dales Way we had a static camp in Dent, using two cars for the most part and therefore carried only day bags, making the journey relatively easy. Carrying all our
gear would have made the walk a different prospect, but I agree absolutely with Journeyman that this superb walk is nowhere near as tough as the Coast-to-Coast, either in terms of distance or terrain.

Given your experience, why not also consider the slightly longer Cleveland Way in North Yorkshire (roughly 9 days)? Admittedly this would take you over some parts of the North York Moors that you had walked on the C2C and would include a coastal walk through Robin Hood's Bay, but would that be a bad thing? Perhaps you should consider planning to walk in England again in 2008?!

Good luck with your future ventures. I hope that the English weather is kind to you, especially in view of the distances you are travelling in order to experience our countryside.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917