The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3613 - 11/07/06 01:13 AM Accomodation in Dent Head
Gulf Islanders Offline

Loc: Gabriola Island,BC,Canada
Where do people stay in or near Dent Head other than in the youth hostel.

Do you go off the path and stay in Ribblehead?

#3614 - 11/07/06 04:08 AM Re: Accomodation in Dent Head
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
I walked the long mile to Ribbleshead and enjoyed the stay immensely. Rooms are adequate, great selection of real ales in the bar with lots of friendly folk on a Friday night, and an excellent meal of lamb shank in the restaurant. However, breakfast and coffee were very disappointing. An added attraction as advertised, "the best loo view in England" looking onto the Ribbleshead Viaduct.

Staying there broke the walk into manageable segments between Buckden and Sedburgh.

#3615 - 11/07/06 07:51 AM Re: Accomodation in Dent Head
Journeyman Offline

Loc: Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Hello Gulf Islanders

I have stayed at the Station, Ribblehead and it was 'comfortable'. The food was good but the room needed refurbishment. It was noisy - not from the pub - from the goods trains etc using the Settle to Carlisle railwqay line that runs directly past the premises.

The best place I have stayed in the area you are enquiring about is River View at Lea Yeat (Cowgill area). My wife and I had a wonderful double en suite room and Margaret also prepared our evening meal which was excellent. You will see details of River View on the Sherpa accommodation page.

Also as you plan your schedule (and if the following fits) I would strongly recommend High Barn, Patton Bridge. I know you have not asked for this in your thread but the douible en suite room at High Barn is a treat and Sue prepares an excellent evening meal.

#3616 - 11/07/06 12:52 PM Re: Accomodation in Dent Head
Heatha Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire, England
I stayed at Camm House Farm - superb accommodation (4 diamonds B&B) but a dry house. Then spent the next night at Dent enjoying the local brews.

#3617 - 11/07/06 01:05 PM Re: Accomodation in Dent Head
Journeyman Offline

Hello Heatha

Yes I've stayed with Janet and Alan at Camm Farm twice and it could certainly form part of my schedule but it obviously depends on what schedule the Gulf Islanders are planning. Now you mention Camm Farm I'll probably call in and see them in the next few weeks.

#3618 - 11/07/06 04:13 PM Re: Accomodation in Dent Head
Gulf Islanders Offline

Thank you all for your kind replies. Having just thoroughly enjoyed the C2C (although it felt more like Florida than England in the first half of June and not a drop of rain or fog in 2 weeks of walking), we are already planning next year's walk. Our favoutite part of the walk was the Yorkshire Dales by far so we are going to do most of our walking in that area next year.

We plan to walk the Dales first (6 days) then pick up Lady Anne's Way in Buckden (the first 2 days of the two walks are similar) and complete that in 5 days. The feeedback on this forum persuaded us to get Hannon's book as well as Gemmel and Speakman's wonderfully detailed guide. We have also ordered Sheila Gordon's must have guide for LAW. Since we are flying into Edinburgh next year (using frequent flyer miles means you have to book a year in advance!!) as opposed to Manchester for the C2C, we plan to "rest up" for a few days at the end of our walk in the lochs somewhere around Glasgow.

So, again thank you for your terrific comments. They are wonderful in helping us crystalize our plans. Once we have our proposed itinerary mapped out, I will post it for your info and for others to use.

#3619 - 12/07/06 08:08 AM Re: Accomodation in Dent Head
kevanliz Offline

Loc: London
Gulf Islanders

If you get the time you should have a go at the Yorkshire 3 Peaks.

On the Dales Way we stayed at Ribblehead and then took an alternative route to Dent via Whernside, this was the best day of our trip although we would second Journeyman's coments about the goods train and the Station Inn.

#3620 - 12/07/06 12:25 PM Re: Accomodation in Dent Head
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Journeyman, Kevinandliz. You're showing your age, but it's good to see the term 'goods train' again rather than the now usual 'freight train'.

#3621 - 12/07/06 05:56 PM Re: Accomodation in Dent Head
kevanliz Offline

At 5 in the morning it could even have been the milk train!

#3622 - 14/07/06 10:34 AM Re: Accomodation in Dent Head
noj Offline

Administrator test!

#3623 - 22/07/06 06:27 PM Re: Accomodation in Dent Head
argonaut Offline

Loc: peterborough. uk
GULF ISLANDERS said......... we plan to "rest up" for a few days at the end of our walk, in the lochs somewhere around Glasgow.

Might as well take in the West Highland Way, and make it a Hat Trick (three consecutive).

[This message has been edited by argonaut (edited 22 July 2006).]

#3624 - 26/07/06 01:24 AM Re: Accomodation in Dent Head
Gulf Islanders Offline

Argonaut (is that the Toronto Argonauts?)

Good suggestion, but can we do this west highland "thingie" in 3 days? That's all the time we will have left.

regards

#3625 - 26/07/06 08:09 AM Re: Accomodation in Dent Head
argonaut Offline

Loc: peterborough. uk
You would be able to do most of it, but if you just wanted a couple of easy days,start from Drymen, the walk takes you around the loch, and you can get some fabulous views of it from Conic Hill.
You could spend a few days resting anywhere in that area.
Argo.

PS... NO. (i'm searching for the Golden Fleece). [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

#3626 - 05/09/06 04:42 PM Re: Accomodation in Dent Head
Gulf Islanders Offline

Journeyman,

We have taken your advice and have booked for our June 2007 walk at Romany Cottage, Buckden (confirmed), River View, Lea Yeat (confirmed) and High Barn (not taking bookings until early 2007).

Many thanks for your much needed input

#3627 - 05/09/06 06:23 PM Re: Accomodation in Dent Head
Journeyman Offline

Gulf Islanders,

You will not be disappointed at any of the 3. Don't forget to let me have your itinerary in due course and I will send you the waypoints.

#3628 - 05/09/06 08:32 PM Re: Accomodation in Dent Head
Gulf Islanders Offline

Journeyman,

Your offer is much appreciated. We planned originally to walk The Dales Way and Lady Anne Way in 2007. However, after some thought we realized the two walks overlapped quite a bit.

So, we are now planning to walk St Cuthbert's Way (using Harvey map) with an extension Craster (OS Landranger 75)then bus and train to Ilkley to walk The Dales Way (using Harvey Yorkshire Dales Outdoor Atlas and BMP Lake District Map). We also have Hannon and Gemmel & Speakman guides.

Our 8-day itinerary for The Dales Way is Ilkley-Grassington-Buckden-detour to Hawes (for cheese)- back to Buckden-Lea Yeat-Sedbergh-Patton Bridge-Windermere (with each named place representing one night's stay)

We are not going for almost 9 months so there is no rush for waypoints but is and when you get around to it, you can send it to [email protected]

Many thanks and if we can buy you a pint on the way.....

#3629 - 18/09/06 11:21 PM Re: Accomodation in Dent Head
TJ Offline

Loc: wiltshire. england
Hi, just thought i'd chip in and mention a b&b we used on the dalesway. As we did'nt fancy the bustle of bowness we opted to stay in windermere at Holly Lodge. It was great, 2 min walk from a very good restaurant and 5 mins from the rail station. Anyway enjoy your planning and even more so, enjoy your walks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917