The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3630 - 24/07/06 03:31 PM Which Section??
HikeMania Offline

If I only had time to walk an (approximately) 40-mile section of the Dales Way, which section would you recommend I choose? Ilkley to near Ribblehead? Ribblehead to Windermere? A middle section -- perhaps Grassington to Sedbergh? Or even split into two parts with prearranged transport between the two?

What were/are your most memorable sections of the Dales Way?

#3631 - 24/07/06 04:11 PM Re: Which Section??
Journeyman Offline

Loc: Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Hello HikeMania

Good question - its depends what your preferred scenery is I suppose. If you wanted higher level walking you wouyldn't be thinking of a section of the Dales Way so I base most of my comments on the best scenic sections of the Dales Way.

Personally, I would not want to miss Wharfedale at all so I would start at Bolton Bridge near Bolton Abbey and follow the Wharfe through Strid Wood and along through Barden, Burnsall and Grassington. Then take the slightly higher level section to Kettlewell along the limestone tops overlooking Wharfedale. Then pick up the Wharfe again through Buckden, Hubberholme and all the way to Beckermonds. That's about 30 miles.

Here comes the poser? If you like walking over a slighly boggier section but with great views (if the cloud is high) of the 3 peaks of Yorkshire then continue to Ribblehead past Cam Farm - that's your 40 miles. The road section along the upper part of Dentdale is not the best walking on the Dales Way but there is a higher level alternative over the Craven Way into Dentdale with great views(again if the cloud is high).

Dentdale is pretty but I would suggest not as good as Wharfedale but the section from Sedbergh along the River Lune is picturesgue with the Howgill Fells as the back drop to your right. Beyond beck Foot it is fields and partial river walking most of the way to Bowness with the odd highlight on the way.

I suppose what I suggest is Bolton Bridge to Beckmonds then Sedbergh to Beck Foot. I hope this helps.

PS. I'm going up to Wharfedale on Wednesay for 3 days - it's a great place with plenty of high, mid and low level walking options.

#3632 - 24/07/06 08:18 PM Re: Which Section??
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Having done the route at least 6 times, I find the second half the better, but maybe thats because I do it non stop and it all downhill so to speak after the first 40 miles. However thinking about it, yes I definatly do prefer the last 40 mile to the first. Although Wharfdale indeed the whole route is beautiful, I find the section from Kettlewell to Gearstones is the part I want to get over and done with the most, apart from some short stretches.
Dave.

[This message has been edited by Slogger (edited 24 July 2006).]

#3633 - 25/07/06 01:48 PM Re: Which Section??
HikeMania Offline

Thank you very much, journeyman and slogger, for your very helpful posts -- just the sort of information I'm looking for.

Hopefully I'll be able to walk the entire path at one go, but if not, you've both given me some good food for thought.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917