The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3645 - 23/08/06 03:20 PM Camping
hattied Offline

Loc: UK
Hi, me and my friend have decided to do the Dales way next week. We want to camp, happy to wild camp, although it sounds as if this isn't very easy to find places. The handbook looks like a good idea for campsites, but it wont arrive in time. Can someone please tell me about available campsites, especially is there one in hubberholme?
Thank you
H

#3646 - 24/08/06 10:49 AM Re: Camping
H Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Welcome Hattied!

You used to be able to camp behind the George at Hubberholme, but it was a mole infested overgrown slope, and covered in cat-crap! There's an alternative of a few flat riverside areas across the bridge from the pub, if you ask the farmer.

However, these days I'd always suggest the detour to the top of Wharfedale and the White Lion at Cray - Flat, new showers, and breakfast - and I haven't even mentioned the pub welcome, ale and food - a personal favourite. Its then easy to walk along the North side of the vallley West to Hubberholme.

Other sites that may not feature in the guide are the one opposite the Sportsman in Cowgill, behind a bungalow, and the farm at Burneside - can't remember the name, but its the first you come to before the village and has a castellated wall and a small pond. You can camp by the pond and he leaves a small washroom unlocked - quite nice.

Enjoy the the Way!

H.

#3647 - 24/08/06 04:25 PM Re: Camping
Journeyman Offline

Loc: Rotherham, South Yorkshire
There are camp sites at the following:

Masons camp Site by the River Wharfe in Appletreewick 01756 720275

Fold Farm, Kettlewell - this is a field at the top end of the village. 01756 760886

I was in Buckden earlier this week and saw a tent behind Redmire Farm at Buckden (farmer is John Horner). They have a website.

Ewegales Farm, Cowgill, Dent 015396 25440

Cowperthwaite Farm, Lowgill, Sedbergh 01539 824240

Burneside Hall farm 01539 XXXXX
Hope these help.
The number for Burneside hall farm was incorrect and a rather irate gentleman has been receiving unwanted call so I have removed it Noj

[This message has been edited by noj (edited 31 July 2007).]

#3648 - 24/08/06 10:36 PM Re: Camping
hattied Offline

Loc: UK
Thank you so much for your replies they are very helpful. I shall ring to check with the relevant sites in the morning. We are aiming to do it in 5 days, starting on Sunday. I've never done it before, and Duke of Ed gold is my longest walk (4 days in Scottish boarders) and the Dalesway sounds too be reasonably gentle? We'll see how we go!
i hope you enjoy your walk too. Thanks
hattie

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917