The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3690 - 04/02/07 10:15 PM Re: Summer walk 2007
HikeMania Offline

Ok -- here's where we stayed when we walked the Dales Way, along with some info to pass along.

(Bear in mind that I was walking with a 1st-time-Long-Distance-Walker, so we stopped more frequently than you will probably do.)

• Ilkley - Tivoli Place -- Lovely people, lovely place on a nice quiet street about a mile from the start of the path. I could easily stay there again, or I might stay at the Riverside Hotel (very near the start of the path). Comments have been made previously about it being smoky, loud, etc., but we popped in there for a short period, twice, and found it to be neither smoky nor loud, on both occasions. Perhaps our timing was good, and I realize we didn't stay the night, but we did find it quite pleasant in any case.
  • Grassington - Springroyd -- Lovely people, nice house, but it's on the main road (which I didn't think would be a problem, as it's only a B-road). However, it was a very busy B-road -- the lorries kept coming though at all hours and the road noise was very noticeable (surprising because I'm quite a deep sleeper). The owners were very friendly people, though, and the room was clean and spacious, and breakfast was delicious. Next time I might stay in Burnsall, for a change of scenery -- it looked like a nice place on the way through. If I stay in Grassington, I'll stay away from the main road.
  • Buckden - Romany Cottage -- Need I say more? They are fantastic! Extremely warm welcome, delightful breakfast -- Tim & Gwen are wonderful hosts. We ate our dinner at the Buckden Village Restaurant -- highly recommended! (You might need to book up; Gwen & Tim can advise and assist with that.) Also re Buckden - the Buck Inn is apparently under new ownership, so you might check that out. We popped in for a pint after our meal, and we were glad we went - it was very enjoyable, even in its poor state.
  • Camm Farm - an experienced walker might find this day, and our next two days, too short. However, having said that, I loved Camm Farm. It's a beautiful house, and the location is incredible -- at night I went out and looked at the stars, and I'm not sure I've ever seen the Big Dipper/Plough look so big and so near. And, although there was a "shoot" on the day we arrived, we were looked after very well. Breakfast was very good, too.
  • Cowgill - again, another relatively short day, but it was very nice; we took a sidetrip to Ribblehead, had a coffee at The Station Inn , walked down to the Viaduct, walked up to the train station and took the train to Settle & back - We then stayed at The Sportsman's Inn -- Best Pub accommodation I've ever stayed in; rooms clean, nice, smoke-free, and relatively quiet. Food was delicious, people were very friendly (no encounters with any "grumpy" people as mentioned by others). Walkers are well looked after, but you'll want to heed the note about not arriving before 4pm (which really isn't an unreasonable request, IMHO).
  • Sedbergh - another short day - Yew Tree Cottage (no website, but look under Accommodation on this website for more info) -- Anne was a truly enjoyable host, very friendly, and very interesting to chat with. Excellent accommodation, excellent breakfast, and Sedbergh itself is a nice town in which to walk. The main road through town, about a 5 minute walk from Anne's, has plenty to offer in the way of food & drink.
  • Windermere - Broadlands B&B -- no, we didn't walk all the way from Sedbergh to Bowness; we had arranged for a relative to pick us up along the way and take us to Windermere, because the B&B where we originally wanted to stay, ( The Bridge House in Kendal) was unavailable. (We opted for Windermere instead of Bowness for convenient access to the railway station.) We very much enjoyed our stay at Broadlands -- a great place, great people (again!) not too close to the station or the main road, and I'd definitely stay there again. Plenty of places to eat/drink nearby (within a 5-10 min walk), on/near the main road through the centre of Windermere.

I realize this all may be TMI [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] but I hope that the information is useful.

I'm definitely going to give The Dales Way another go -- it's certainly worth another look, IMHO.

[This message has been edited by HikeMania (edited 05 February 2007).]

#3691 - 02/04/07 02:35 PM Re: Summer walk 2007
FootSore Offline

Loc: UK
Did this exact route in 2005.

Dales Way - 1 Evening, 3 Days & 1 Morning followed by bus to Ulverston. Steamer & Train sounds much better.

Cumbrian Way - 4 Days & 1 Morning.

Both excellent walks. Agree with above that cumbrian Way is tougher than Dales Way although not overly so. North of Keswick does go quite high and is quite exposed so good map work would be required if the cloud base is low or weather is bad. Last few miles to Carlisle lose the spirit of the walk a bit but are required to terminate the walk at something other than grid reference.

Are you B&Bing or Camping? I camped and can supply more detail if it would be of use.

FootSore

• C2C
  • Pennine Way
  • West Highalnd Way
  • South Downs Way
  • St Cuthberts Way
  • North Downs Way
  • Cleveland Way
  • Offa's Dyke Path
  • Hadrian's Wall
  • Dales Way
  • Cumbrian Way

#3692 - 03/04/07 05:42 AM Re: Summer walk 2007
AnthonyRHeath Offline

Loc: Knottingley, nr Pontefract Yor...
Hi Footsore, I would love to camp, but the chances of getting Trish in a tent are just about zilch so it will be B&B.We are thinking of doing the Lady Ann Way as well as the other 2 mentioned walks this summer so 2007 should be a good year.
Robin.H.

#3693 - 03/04/07 09:26 AM Re: Summer walk 2007
FootSore Offline

Loc: UK
Do you want me to try and get her in a tent?

I suspect that camping is a young girls game. Although my old man hadn't camped for 30 years+ when he got into trail walking at 60+ and started camping.

My wife started camping when we were students. Less than 2 weeks from me starting the C2C she decided she couldn't part with me for 2 weeks. I was definately going, a student, and therefore definately camping; so the only solution - get some gear and go camping!

It is also quite expensive to get kitted out if you find you really don't like it. I would B&B, I can afford it, I just can't be bothered to organise it. Plus I tend to make decisions late. Like I think I have permission to do a trail this summer. It will be before the end of June & I haven't even decided which trail yet. This generally makes B&Bing hard to organise.

I was around windemere in March for a week and the steamer looked good (weather didn't get bad enough to go on it.) Steam Train wasn't open then but was intending to open at the start of April.

A third trail! You do indeed get too much time off.

FootSore

• C2C
  • Pennine Way
  • West Highalnd Way
  • South Downs Way
  • St Cuthberts Way
  • North Downs Way
  • Cleveland Way
  • Offa's Dyke Path
  • Hadrian's Wall
  • Dales Way
  • Cumbrian Way

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917