The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3704 - 12/03/07 08:35 AM Leeds to Ilkley
barney44 Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I am planning to walk The Dales Way this September, but want to spend a couple of days around Holmfirth (Last of the Summer Wine country) beforehand.
I then intend to bus/train to Leeds and walk the canal west then up to Ilkley on the Bradford Dales Way link.
I'm not sure of the total length from Leeds to Ilkley, but imagine it will be too far to attempt on one day if I only arrive at Leeds station mid morning at the earliest. (I am a 62 year old slow walker).
Any suggestions on stopovers on the way or other alternatives would be appreciated. I live in Australia, and although I have done a number of LDW's in Britain, my knowledge of that area is nil, apart from the Pennine Way to the west.

#3705 - 12/03/07 09:54 AM Re: Leeds to Ilkley
Journeyman Offline

Loc: Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Hello Barney

As you may know there are links from both Bradford and Leeds up to Ilkley. The Leeds-Ilkley link goes out of Leeds past Eccup Reservoir and Otley Chevin to Ilkley (17 miles in total - perhaps one overnight stay would suffice). This is a higher level walk than the canal. If you want to walk the canal as you suggest it would be 19 miles along Airedale via the canal joining the Bradford to Ilkley route near Saltaire and Salts Mill (a great place to visit). You would follow the canal towpath for about 12 miles from Leeds city centre which I suppose is in keeping with the Dales Way i.e. principally a valley walk.

I can't help with accomoodation on this route but I'm pretty sure you could easily find some depending on how far you want to walk on the day you arrive in Leeds. I would suggest Shipley/Saltaire is a good target to aim for but it may be just a bit too far for your half day (approx 11-12 miles).

Good luck with your planning and of course your walk - it is a fabulous walk.

#3706 - 15/03/07 01:03 AM Re: Leeds to Ilkley
barney44 Offline

Journeyman
Thank you for your informative reply. Certainly food for thought! Your comment on Salts Mill confirms for me that I will stop over somewhere around Saltaire or Shipley. I'll do some searching on the internet for suitable B&B's.
Another question you may be able to help with, as I am assuming you are familiar with the area in general. Is it feasible (and safe) to walk the back roads from Huddersfield to Holmfirth, or would you know of any paths available. I'll do some internet searching of OS maps of the area as well.
Barney

#3707 - 18/03/07 07:21 PM Re: Leeds to Ilkley
Journeyman Offline

Loc: Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Hello Barney

I'm not sure what you mean by walking the back roads between Huddersfield and Holmfirth. In general the area around Huddersfield and Holmfirth is very hilly and whilst there are 'back roads' I wouldn't advocate walking on them to get to Holmfirth. I have walked some of the area's around Huddersfield and Holmfirth but not between the two. I am aware that there is a route that broadly follows the Holme valley between Huddersfield and Holmfirth - I'm not sure of it's official name but if you contact the Ramblers Association - Huddersfield branch by email and pose the question to them I am sure they will respond with the best options for your intended walk.

#3708 - 19/03/07 01:50 AM Re: Leeds to Ilkley
barney44 Offline

Hi Journeyman
Thanks for your reply. The reason for the enquiry from Huddersfield to Holmfirth was travelling by train to Huddersfield, then walking. I have done some more research (isn't OS "Get a Map" wonderful for a far away Aussie!) and have discovered a "Hills and Hamlets Walk" that will take me from Brockholes (nearest train station to Holmfirth) to Holmfirth. It appears to be an attractive walk, and presumably signposted. It is a circle walk so after my look around Holmfirth, I will complete the circle back to Brockholes to train to Leeds.
Thanks for your time and effort.
Barney

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917