The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3709 - 03/04/07 10:44 AM Walking in July
barney44 Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I am walking the dales way this summer. I had planned on walking in September, but may be forced to walk it in late July.
Coming from Australia, can anyone advise me if the walk is very busy then. I always use B&B's or pubs. I know it is the British high season. All my other LDW's have been in May or September which have been much quieter, which I prefer.
I would make sure to start the walk mid week.

#3710 - 03/04/07 04:09 PM Re: Walking in July
Journeyman Offline

Loc: Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Hello again Barney,

I have walked the Dales Way 3 times and I walk in the Wharfedale area every month so I feel qualified to make comment. There will be some sections of the Dales Way that will be busy in July but not necessarily with Dales Way walkers e.g. the stretch through Wharfedale is popular at the quietiest of times with walkers and others enjoying the great outdoors. When you leave Wharferdale via langstrohdale and go over Cam Fell into Dentdale you will find it a lot quieter. There will be other Dales Way walkers but you won't see as many people as you would for example doing the C2C. The Dales Way is a fantastic walk with loads of scenery and lovely villages. Good luck with your walk.

#3711 - 03/04/07 07:50 PM Re: Walking in July
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
I've walked in the Blue Mts of NSW, experienced the overland trek of Tasmania, and hiked in most of the national parks in UK. They're all different, and in every case I just went to see what I'd find. I recommend that approach.
I know this might seem obvious, and I hope nobody thinks my comment trite or dismissive of the enquiry.
Wherever you go you'll see what you see, and you'll meet who you meet. That's the charm, and I suggest you go with the maps, the compass, and the flow. Most people you meet will be motorists, but you'll get great contacts with other walkers. In late July and August book your accommodation ahead, and look out for a grey-haired old git of 60 who's walking solo and chewing the fat, or shooting the breeze, with anyone that looks worth five minutes of view exchange! It might be me!!

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917