The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3726 - 05/06/07 06:29 PM Comments on my trip
tshands Offline

Loc: atlanta, ga, USA
My wife and I will be walking the Dales Way in late August to early September. Here is our itinerary. If anyone has comments on it or suggestions they would be welcome.

Day 1: Fly from US to Manchester
Train from Manchester to IIkley
Stay in Riverside Hotel
Day 2: Appletreewick - Knowles Lodge
Day 3: Grassington - Scat Lodge
Day 4: Buckden - Romany cottage
Day 5: Cam Houses - Camm Farm
Day 6: Dent - George and Dragon
Day 7: Sedberg - Yew Tree Cottage
Day 8: Grayrigg - Grayrigg Hall
Day 9: Kendal - Bridge House
Day 10: Bowness and Windemere - Elim Lodge

Do you think it will be easy to get a train from Manchester to IIkley on a Saturday?

Most of these are already booked, but if someone has a real problem with any I would like to know. We are only averaging about 10 miles per day by request of my wife.

Is there any especially interesting sights including pubs and beer to see or try in any of the villages we are staying in?

After the walk we will still have some time. We thought we might rent a car and drive to Scotland. Any suggestions? Another idea is to do another shorter walk - maybe part of Hadrians wall.

Any comments good or bad are welcome. Thanks in advance.

#3727 - 05/06/07 08:41 PM Re: Comments on my trip
Sharon Offline

Loc: Reading, Berks.
The Dales Way is a great walk - lovely scenery and some delightful villages (and pubs).

I would recommend visiting the small church at Hubberholme and spend a few minutes trying to spot the mice wood carvings. If you have seen the film "Calendar Girls", this was all filmed in this area; in particular, there is a shop scene, filmed in a corner shop in Kettlewell. I can't recall the shop's name or where it is but the village is so small that you can't miss it - they are also very proud of the filming and I believe they have a sign announcing that they were once a film set! The pub "The Buck Inn" in Buckden served outstanding food when I was there a few years ago, though I have read on this forum that things have gone downhill after it changing hands a number of times in recent years.

As for afterwards, if you're having good weather, I would highly recommend driving up to Oban in Scotland, taking the ferry across to The Isle of Mull and spending a few days there. It is rugged and absolutely stunning in the sunshine. They also have some great wildlife - this time last year, I was lucky enough to see deer, white-tailed sea eagle, golden eagle, minke whales and otter (the first time ever!).

Let us know how you get on and .... enjoy!

#3728 - 06/06/07 09:07 AM Re: Comments on my trip
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
There will be loads of trains (change at Leeds) and the journey is a great one for industrial archaeologists as you leave Manchester, head into the valleys where cotton and woollen mills once made a few men rich, under the Pennines and into Leeds, a Victorian city now regenerating itself for the 21st century. The Ilkley train leaves from the same station and runs about every 30 minutes, and it takes you up the Aire valley and into Wharfedale, where you leave behind the towns of the industrial revolution.

If you have time and energy, walk up to Ilkley Moor and enjoy the views of Wharfedale before heading up the valley on the Dales Way.

Your itinerary should give you loads of time to vary the route by taking high level alternatives and detours if the weather is right and your fitness is good. Stock up on "essentials" like sweets (candy) at Grassington or Kettlewell because opportunities are few between there and Sedbergh.

Have a wonderful time!

#3729 - 06/06/07 04:55 PM Re: Comments on my trip
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
I have walked the Dales Way non stop on several occasions, I love it that much. However the first time, my wife and myself spent 8 days on it as opposed to the normal 6 days. It was a breeze, all easy days and plenty of time to take everything in, watching the birds, fish and river life etc as well as enough time for many a lunch break in a pub or two.
Dave.

#3730 - 06/06/07 09:10 PM Re: Comments on my trip
Journeyman Offline

Loc: Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Like other contributors I have walked the Dales Way 3 times and walked sections of it countless times. You will enjoy the walk and your itinery looks great. I have stayed at: Knowles Lodge twice - brilliant accommodation and Pam/Chris are excellent hosts; Romany Cottage 4 times - tghe best little B & B on the route; Camm Farm twice - such a fabulous spot in a remote location. Janet can be a bit overwhelming but she has a heart as big as a bucket; George and Dragon Dent twice - great accommodation and food.

Are you taking your evening meal at Knowles Lodge? If not then I would highly recommend that you do. When staying in Buckden I recommend you take your evening meal at Buckden Village Restaurant with John and Gordon - a great meal and a good laugh.

I hope you have a great time.

#3731 - 09/06/07 04:25 PM Re: Comments on my trip
Heatha Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire, England
I have stayed at Romany Cottage, Camm Farm and Grayrigg Hall. I would agree about eating at the village restaurant at Buckden. I also concur on Janet at Camm - she really does have a heart of gold. At Grayrigg, I found the farmhouse a little old fashioned but they work hard to make your stay comfortable. Try and engage them in conversation about their farm and the animals!

It's a great walk - enjoy! At 10 miles a day you'll have time to look around. Spend some time looking around Grassington, too. It's a pretty little place.

Heatha.

[This message has been edited by Heatha (edited 10 June 2007).]

#3732 - 12/06/07 10:54 AM Re: Comments on my trip
FootSore Offline

Loc: UK
I think that you will find yourself quite busy.

Arise at 08:30 - It is a holiday
09:00 - 10:00 - Breakfast
10:00 - 10:15 - Depart B&B
10:45 - 11:15 - Morning Coffee
12:00 - 14:00 - Lunch
16:00 - 16:30 - Afternoon Tea
17:30 - 19:00 - Bathtime
19:00 - 20:00 - Pre dinner drinks
20:00 - 21:30 - Dinner
21:30 - 23:00 - Heavy Drinking (optional)

That leaves only 4 hours 15 minutes walking time. At an average of 2.5 miles an hour you will be pretty pushed to get 10 miles done each day!

Now for the serious stuff. This is one of the few walks that ends somewhere nice so allow some time to stay in Bowness, take a trip on the Lake. Maybe take in a few other touristy traps in the Lake District.

Linthwaite Lodge (Bowness) is very good if you like good food. Fantastic views of the Lake.

You could also look at the Cumbrian Way. The start is a boat & steam train ride from the end of the Dales Way. (after a night or two in bowness)

Or pick up a bit of the C2C which is only a short bus ride from the end of the Dales Way.

FootSore

• C2C
  • Pennine Way
  • West Highalnd Way
  • South Downs Way
  • St Cuthberts Way
  • North Downs Way
  • Cleveland Way
  • Offa's Dyke Path
  • Hadrian's Wall
  • Dales Way
  • Cumbrian Way

#3733 - 14/06/07 02:12 PM Re: Comments on my trip
tshands Offline

Loc: atlanta, ga, USA
We really appreciate these comments and suggestions. I am amazed that all of you took the time to help us. Thanks so much. We will post our thoughts on the trip when we get back.

I am glad no one seems to have any problems with our choice of accomodations. We liked the comments, especially about Camm House. We were a bit worried after reading the comments on the link.

Also "Stottie" recommended taking "high level alternatives and detours" since we do not have a challenging number of miles to walk each day. I guess we should now get a book that has these alternative routes. Does anyone have a suggestion on the best one to get. There are 5 choices on the SherpaVan link to books about the Dales Way. Which is the best or two best?

After the walk, we have decided to take a train from Windermere to Edinburgh Scotland, rent a car, and do a driving tour. We will check out Isle of Mull and other areas.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917