The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3734 - 22/06/07 12:53 PM ********* HOLIDAYS
sturmason Offline

Loc: solihull, west midlands
I have recently returned from a one week walking trip on the Dales Way. We used ********* Holidays to book our accommodation and transfer our baggage.
Although the weather was kind and the baggage transfer went well there was one improvement to the service that could have been made.
Upon reaching our destination at the end of each day we spent a lot of time searching for our accommodation. After a day's walking this was the last thing we wanted to do, especially if the weather was wet. The accommodation address was supplied but only a name and telephone number, and no full address. Mobile phone reception in the Dales is very patchy and telephone kiosks are few and far between. To find our accommodation we had to resort to knocking on doors.
All that was needed was the provision of a full address with a map and perhaps a photograph. This info could be provided by the proprieter and is freely available on the internet.
********* say they do not provide this info in order to cut costs. A lame excuse I think. These courier companies are making a lot of money from walkers. Discuss

#3735 - 22/06/07 01:47 PM Re: ********* HOLIDAYS
Journeyman Offline

Loc: Rotherham, South Yorkshire
They are making a lot of money from walkers and I personally cannot see why you shouldn't name and shame the company. As far as I am concerned a professional company should provide such information to its customers automatically - surely it makes business sense to have fully satisfied customers who would then recommend their services to others.

#3736 - 23/06/07 12:20 PM Re: ********* HOLIDAYS
sturmason Offline

In reply to journeyman. The company concerned was ********* Walking Holidays based in Kirkby Malham. I wrote a letter with my suggestions to improve their service. All I received was a recorded message on my answerphone saying that they wouldn't provide further info in order to keep costs low. The extra information would cost virtually nothing as it could be provided by the proprieter and is also freely available on many sites on the internet.
Further, some establishments now refuse to deal with this company because of their poor service to walkers.

#3737 - 23/06/07 01:07 PM Re: ********* HOLIDAYS
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
If the company is Bragentis, then it is highly misleading of their website to state that their "Walking Holidays and Baggage Courier Service has been used and appreciated by hundreds of walkers and cyclists for over 18 years. We continue to pride ourselves on being known for our reliability which is due to our dedication, being family operated, locally based in the north and having unsurpassed knowledge of the area" etc. etc. etc.
Not that I have ever used a Baggage Courier Service, but if I did I'm sure I would go for Sherpa as I've heard nothing but praise for them.

#3738 - 23/06/07 03:33 PM Re: ********* HOLIDAYS
sturmason Offline

Lounge Lizard, your assumption is correct.
Didn't know much about the firm as the trip was booked by someone else. Other walkers we met on the path had used other courier services (including Sherpa) and they had been provided with photos and other info to enable them to find their digs easily at the end of the day's walk. Don't think I shall be using ********* again

#3739 - 23/06/07 04:40 PM Re: ********* HOLIDAYS
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
sturmason. That firm must be bad if Sherpa have set up their name, correctly spelt, as a swear word on here such that it just appears as a string of asterisks.

#3740 - 23/06/07 05:27 PM Re: ********* HOLIDAYS
Journeyman Offline

Loc: Rotherham, South Yorkshire
I am surprised as I have used ********* for baggage carrying three times and also for accommodation/baggae on the Inn Way to thye Yorkshire Dales and I didn't have a problem BUT I do not the Dales and would not have had the same problems as someone with litle knowledge. I know Mike Schofield reasonably well and I cannot understand why his company wouldn't provide the information. Maybe its because they have expanded their business too far and are trying to juggle too many balls - they have also bought the old Keld YH.

#3741 - 25/06/07 06:18 PM Re: ********* HOLIDAYS
BIGWOOLFY Offline

I HAVE USED ********* HOLIDAYS FOR THE PAST TWO YEARS WHEN WALKING THE PENNINE WAY AND THEY HAVE PROVIDED ALL INFOROMATION THAT I REQUIRED. SHERPA DO NOT EVEN OFFER A FULL SERVICE ALONG THE PW. WHY? COSTS I EXPECT. GOT A QUOTE THIS YEAR & SHERPA WANTDED TO CHARGE 12 FOR THE BYRNESS TO KIRK YELTHOM LEG. RIP OFF

MUST LEFT YOUR PA/NANNY AT HOME

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917