The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36021 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#37386 - 23/05/08 02:13 PM Gortex Jacket Question
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
Hi,

I have a lightweight gortex Mountain Equipment jacket (Nanga Parbat)which cost me over 200.00 about 16 months ago.

Last summer it leaked so it was replaced. However, a couple of weeks ago I was out in the rain for a couple of hours and felt cold. When I got home, I noticed the arms on the inside were slighlty damp. It was a warm day.

I have e-mailed Mountain Equipment but they have not responded.

I really have not found a lightweight waterproof jacket that is as good as my very old Rab jacket. I can spend hours in the hills in rain which is why I spent what I thought good money on a good jacket.

Any way I thought I would ask you guys whether this dampness is this ususal? Do other people find this with their similar jackets?

#37387 - 23/05/08 06:18 PM Re: Gortex Jacket Question
Nimrod Offline

Loc: Billingham,Cleveland
It just goes to show that money doesn't guarantee good quality.
Nimrod

#37388 - 23/05/08 10:49 PM Re: Gortex Jacket Question
Ozzie M & H Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
G'day Janice & Rottie

My wife and I have exactly the same (except for colour) high-tech, you beaut bells and whistles overgear which cost more than the National Debt of some countries - almost guaranteed to keep water out at 20 fathoms.

Probably in the small print somewhere is a disclaimer that moisture can move from inside to outside without moisture going from outside to inside BUT if you perspire too much it does not work.

On warmish days, despite elaborate gussets and vents, I can pour the water out of my sleeves and Marjorie is bone dry. I perspire readily, Marjorie does not. In 2006 we crossed the Vale of Mowbray on the wettest June day since records began - Marjorie had a dry torso and legs (at least to the knees as the water to be waded through came to the knees) whereas I was as wet on the inside as I was on the outside.

I never wear overpants for the same reason.

[This message has been edited by Ozzie M & H (edited 23 May 2008).]

#37389 - 24/05/08 09:06 AM Re: Gortex Jacket Question
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
i think i will try a cagoule again.
on a long wet walk years ago i had a cagoule and over trousers, the over trousers split and i was steaming up, so i took my walking breeches off put the over trousers back on.
as it was May it was not too cold and finished the walk dry and comfortable exept for blisters.
regards
ern

#37390 - 24/05/08 10:07 AM Re: Gortex Jacket Question
Robbie Offline

Loc: Cheshire, UK
Hi Janice,
I bought the mans version of this jacket also around 18 months ago and it too leaked on the first trip out. I had it changed and the replacement did exactly the same. Not impressed! I now use a Paramo jacket and I find it excellent during spring and winter walks, keeps me totally dry and warm. Works fine in summer rain too although occassionly feel too warm.
I also emailed Mountain Equipment on many occassions without any replies. I did phone them but found them unhelpful.
Robbie

#37391 - 24/05/08 11:45 AM Re: Gortex Jacket Question
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
I have had and still have numerous Goretex jackets for walking, mountaineering and running. They all keep the rain out, however when working hard, I can get absolutely really wet inside due to perspiration. They are not bombproof in the breathability stakes, because they can only cope with a certain amount of perspiration. Once you go beyong their capicity to breath, you will get wet. Also the pit zips etc, even opening the front zip more to cool down, actually stops the breathabilty, as the Goretex will only breath through whilst under a certain pressure. Release the pressure by opening a zip and the ability of the fabric to breath is lost. Also if the jacket wets out in rain, it cannot breath, thats why you have maintain its water repelancy.
Dave.

#37392 - 27/05/08 09:34 AM Re: Gortex Jacket Question
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
Thanks everyone.

It seems then that it is therefore a feature of the jacket rather than a genuine fault. What a bummer !

I do have a Paramo but I find it far too warm for spring/summer wear. I can't wait for them to produce a lightweight jacket.

#37393 - 30/05/08 09:36 PM Re: Gortex Jacket Question
Golight Offline

Loc: Wales
Slogger has hit the nail on the head. Gortex is often touted as a magic fabric. "Gauranteed to keep you dry" is its trademark slogan. In my opinion it is very limited in what it can achieve especially on wet days with a bit of exersion. I wonder how how trading standards consider the merits of their slogan (My language is circumspect in order to avoid potential libel). Depends on the legal definition of "dry" ! Its better than a plastic sack but IMO its overated by the public. I avoid it in footwear. That dampness inside your jacket is your sweat unable to escape, not a leak.

#37394 - 31/05/08 11:36 AM Re: Gortex Jacket Question
Sam Peps Offline

I think you overstate the problem golight.

Many footwear and topwear products that employ goretex have adequate ventilation holes built into the design.

Nevertheless, certain conditions - cold or quick marches - find out its limitations.

#37395 - 31/05/08 02:45 PM Re: Gortex Jacket Question
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Goetex does keep the rain out and is much more comfortable to wear on a wet day than a nylon non breathable. A few friends of mine have now got Paramo jackets and shirts and they swear by them for general use over goretex, except in winter when they switch back to their more robust goretex mountain jackets.
When I started mountain walking over 50 years ago in pre Goretex days, I wore two densley woven cotton jackets when it was cold and raining. The outer one was a comando smock with hood, in a heavy cotton. I painted this with two coats of canvass tent waterproofing liquid. Even when caught in the open up on Kinder Scout in blizzards and heavy driving rain, nothing came through and I wasnt too damp underneath either. I did after a time progress to wearing a cycle cape in the rain which covered the rucsac as well, Oh, happy day's.
Dave.

[This message has been edited by Slogger (edited 31 May 2008).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917