The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36018 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3754 - 22/08/07 03:47 PM Finished - Some Comments
barney44 Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I finished The Dales Way at Bowness on Sunday 19th August. A very wet and muddy experience! At times I was wading through water. I did enjoy it though, despite the very bad weather which limited the fine views I was looking forward to. Even all the cows, cattle and the three bulls I encountered all behaved themselves. (See my previous posting).
Some comments that may be useful to future walkers.
The previously warned problems north of Grassington with the new diversion are made more difficult by the official Dales Way Association website incorrect version shown. Their version makes one want to head left after the diversion round the farm. However, you must keep right taking the widest mown grassy track and eventually you reach a squeeze stile gate with the waymark on the other side! It took a ten year old girl (taking her mother out for a walk) with superb map reading skills to put me back on the right track.
I found the section up to and after Cam Houses very easy despite it pouring with rain. The path is very distinct and waymarking is fairly good.
On the last day approaching Bowness the path almost turns back on itself going left. (It was the only sign I saw with a red arrow instead of the usual yellow one.) I continued on and another walker and I met up a mile further on and both realised we were way off track.
Speaking of waymarking, there is no way you could walk the Dales Way relying on waymarking alone. At times there was an overkill, at others woefully nonexistent. If it wasn't for landowners and farmers putting up their own signs, I might still be blundering around some farmer's fields.
I used ordnance survey "Get a map" printouts and Terry Marsh's Cicerone guide as well as my compass a couple of times. Many times I was very grateful to Terry Marsh for his detailed description of direction changes as waymarking and Ordnance Survey failed often.
Hope this helps someone!
Barney

#3755 - 10/09/07 07:55 PM Re: Finished - Some Comments
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
after youve done it half a dozen times you will be able to walk from Gearstones, and all the way down Dentdale to Sedburgh in the dark as I do when walking it on a non-stopper. There are even less waymaks on the Cumbria Way, I would rather refer to the map anyway, waymarks lead to a false sense of security, you miss one, then wonder where you went wrong.
Dave.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917