The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3761 - 11/03/08 04:51 PM Any information?
Kate's Dad Offline

Loc: Derbyshire
After such recent adventures as the Coast to Coast and Pennine Way the birth of our first grandson limits the time we have for training and actually being away. So this year along with a few Long Distance Walkers Association -LDWA- events we're taking it easy on the Dales Way and Cumbria Way.

Any information on the accommodation we have booked, places of interest, navigational hotspots etc gratefully received...

Day 1 to Grassington - Grassington House Hotel
2. Nethergill Farm
3. George and Dragon, Dent
4. Moresdale Barn, nr. Grayrigg
5. Fairfield, Bowness

Day 6 will see us get the ferry down to Lakeside on the south of Windermere, then the Steam Train before picking up the Cumbria Coastal path to the Lonsdale House Hotel, Ulverston.

7. Black Bull, Coniston
8. New Dungeon Ghyll
9. Keswick YHA
10. Oddfellows Arms, Caldbeck.
11. Train home from Carlisle.

In advance, many thanks for your inspirational information!

#3762 - 11/03/08 06:52 PM Re: Any information?
Journeyman Offline

Loc: Rotherham, South Yorkshire
I have completed the Dales Way 3 times, walked many of the sections frequently and stayed in most places around the Dales so here is my twopenneth.

The first day is about 15 miles and is generally easy going and navigation is not too difficult as the way is marked well. When you get to Bolton Abbey it is shorter and not as steep to navigate on the left hand side of the river Wharfe to Cavendish Pavilion where you continue on the left hand side of the Wharfe past the Strid. Keep on the left at the Aquaduct, as you leave the woods, all the way to Barden Bridge.

Grassington House Hotel. I stayed there over 12 months ago and it was very good accommodation with good food. The hotels in Grassington seem to change hands quite often but as far as I know its the same proprietors.

The route has been better signed as you leave Grassington to head over Lea Green towards Conistone Pie and then Kettlewell. if the weather is fine there are great views up the valley from the higher level paths as you approach Kettlewell. Beyond Kettlewell it's easy going along the River Wharfe passing Starbotton, Buckden, Hubberholme, Yockenthwaite and Deepdale before you leave the Wharfe and go uo a steep section of road to Oughtershaw then branch off towards Nethergill and Cam Houses. I have not stayed at Nethergill so cannot comment.

Beyond Nethergill you have a bit more track before a walk that can be a little boggy up to and beyond Cam Farm where you join the Pennine Way for a short section before descending to Gearstones. There are some long road sections down into Dentdale but very picturesque (If you wish you can cut the corner from above Cam Farm using paths to the start of the Ribble Way to take you down to the main Ingleton to Hawes Road where there is a left turn down towards Dent).

George and Dragon. We have stayed there 3 times and although the ownership has chnaged a few times the latest owners and manager are very good and the accommodation is excellent. My wife thinks it is the best room we have stayed at in a pub on the various walks we have done. The food is also very good.

The waymarking along Dentdale and Lunedale is quite good but it does become a bit more difficult once you have passed Beck Foot Viaduct. Keep an eye out for the signs - they are there but in different shapes and sizes.

Moresdale Barn. I haven't stayed there so cannot comment. We have stayed at High Barn (a little further on) twice which is excellent.

Beyond Grayrigg the waymarking is not too bad but once again just keep an eye out for the variety of signposts etc. It's great to see the Lakeland Hills getting nearer and nearer.

Fairfield. We stayed at Fairfield with Tony & Liz and it is first class - just down the hill from the Dales Way official start/finish post.

Good luck with your two walks.

#3763 - 12/03/08 04:35 AM Re: Any information?
barney44 Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I have copied in my comments fron an earlier posting back in August last year.
"I finished The Dales Way at Bowness on Sunday 19th August. A very wet and muddy experience! At times I was wading through water. I did enjoy it though, despite the very bad weather which limited the fine views I was looking forward to. Even all the cows, cattle and the three bulls I encountered all behaved themselves. (See my previous posting).
Some comments that may be useful to future walkers.
The previously warned problems north of Grassington with the new diversion are made more difficult by the official Dales Way Association website incorrect version shown. Their version makes one want to head left after the diversion round the farm. However, you must keep right taking the widest mown grassy track and eventually you reach a squeeze stile gate with the waymark on the other side! It took a ten year old girl (taking her mother out for a walk) with superb map reading skills to put me back on the right track.
I found the section up to and after Cam Houses very easy despite it pouring with rain. The path is very distinct and waymarking is fairly good.
On the last day approaching Bowness the path almost turns back on itself going left. (It was the only sign I saw with a red arrow instead of the usual yellow one.) I continued on and another walker and I met up a mile further on and both realised we were way off track.
Speaking of waymarking, there is no way you could walk the Dales Way relying on waymarking alone. At times there was an overkill, at others woefully nonexistent. If it wasn't for landowners and farmers putting up their own signs, I might still be blundering around some farmer's fields.
I used ordnance survey "Get a map" printouts and Terry Marsh's Cicerone guide as well as my compass a couple of times. Many times I was very grateful to Terry Marsh for his detailed description of direction changes as waymarking and Ordnance Survey failed often.
Hope this helps someone!"
Hope you have better weather than I did!
I stayed in different places than you are, so can not comment on them.
Barney

#3764 - 30/05/08 07:55 AM Re: Any information?
Kate's Dad Offline

Loc: Derbyshire
Apologies for the slow response - many thanks JMan and B44!

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917