The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3815 - 28/09/03 12:00 AM lucky 13
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I have just finished another WHW the 13th. This has been described as a low level walk but it is one of the best. The scenery as always is just stunning ans yes some sections are tough. It just gets better every time and I look forward to my next one.

#3816 - 28/09/03 05:31 PM Re: lucky 13
Anonymous
Unregistered

Are'nt you easily pleased, personally I think it's a poor walk, don't think i will ever do it again. To do it 13 times is bordering on the idiotic, still... each to his own hey.

#3817 - 29/09/03 01:09 AM Re: lucky 13
traveler Offline

Loc: detroit mi usa
and aren't you the rude sort! everybody has different tastes- it so happens that Peter takes groups with varying skill and endurance levels- let everyone enjoy their long distance path-whichever one is chosen. The inner journey is as important as the outer one for many walkers- I've not done this one but I have done the c2c-at my own pace,alone and took more than the standard 10-14 days. Who cares?? Go Peter- I enjoy your commentary on that OTHER site!!!!!

#3818 - 29/09/03 04:24 PM Re: lucky 13
Anonymous
Unregistered

OOOH and are'nt you the touchy one, I did say each to his own. Judging by the amount of threads the WHW gets, I think your friend Peter is the only one that does it, why ? because he's a Scot, and he has to say it's good. I was giving out my own unbiased opinion, for other people who dont know.

#3819 - 29/09/03 06:38 PM Re: lucky 13
peterkemp Offline

Loc: Glasgow Scotland
Well folks I suppose 13 times seems a lot but the old WHW was always there. I used bits and pieces of it for years bashing to and fro the surrounding hills and beyond long before it was a LDP. To say it it boring is nuts on a good day the scenery beats all. I also get pleasure from taking all sorts who for many it is thier first taste of walking in the big outdoors and for many the first intro to Scotland. Don't think I am like many scots ie anglophobic, I lived and worked all over England and have made many good friends there. Many of my parties are from England and lots more from all other parts of the world. What they get is a good trek led by a native of the place. In fact I am at present the only Scottish person leading WHW of the seven or so run a year, all the leaders are English. no bad thing but people from US and Canada expect to be led by a local. As for no postings well we did meet an awful lot of folk doing the walk and I'm sure most don't even know of this site. In the same instance when doing the C2C I was surprised at how few people I saw on it, yet many use the C2C site. It's something I cannot explain. So whatever turns one on who can say but let you guys who do have knowledge of all LDPs please promote them and offer good advice to all others out there contemplating what is for many a personal challenge.

#3820 - 29/09/03 10:38 PM Re: lucky 13
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Next time you can take this Argonaut with you and throw it down Zero Gully.I believe thats where they used to dump the rubbish from the observatory.

#3821 - 30/09/03 09:12 PM Re: lucky 13
Anonymous
Unregistered

HO HUM, YAWN YAWN. See, I told it was a rubbish walk. As for going on about the scenery, well all you can see is a hill on either side of you, but your not up on the top. Thats when you can see something worth looking at.

#3822 - 15/10/03 09:06 PM Re: lucky 13
Anonymous
Unregistered

My very first long distance hike in the Uk was the WHW. After that hike I can only agree with Rober Burns:
Farewell to the Highlands, farewell to the North
The birthplace of valour, the country of worth.
Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love

Since the WHW I have done more difficult hikes, such as the Tour du Mont Blanc, but I am still treasuring the WHW as a highlight. So, Peter, I understand why you love the old WHW. I love it too and one day I will do it again as part of the Land's end to John O'Groats (still have to wait 7 years to my retirement.

regards
Pieter van Niekerk

Ps. Although I am a proud South African, I still maintain that Scotland is God's own country. My family and I recently returned from a Scotish holiday and my wife only now understands why I love this beautiful country so much.

#3823 - 16/10/03 05:53 PM Re: lucky 13
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for your comments Pieter V. I can do this walk many times and admire the scenery having climbed ever hill you can see on the route. Especially the views from the top of the Devil's Staircse. For those who love Scotland email me and I will add you to the many who I post vimountain views to all over the world. Also look out next year for a wee book on mountaineering in Scotland called "Of Big Hills and Wee Men " by myself. Slaint'e PK

#3824 - 16/10/03 08:39 PM Re: lucky 13
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Peter

My email address is:
[email protected]

I will surely be interested in buying your book!

Regards

Pieter

#3825 - 16/10/03 10:57 PM Re: lucky 13
Anonymous
Unregistered

Peter, WHW is on my to do list in the next year or so. I would love to receive any views you would care to send.
My e-mail address is [email protected]

#3826 - 17/10/03 08:37 PM Re: lucky 13
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi guys I have added you to email list for WHW pictures ceers Peter

#3827 - 20/10/03 08:44 PM Re: lucky 13
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Peter
I am ten walks behind you but I am planning to repeat the walk next year.
How anyone could find the walk boring is beyond me. The Lake District is a fine walking area but compared to Scotland....
Hope to meet you on the walk one year.

All The Best.

#3828 - 20/10/03 08:44 PM Re: lucky 13
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Peter
I am ten walks behind you but I am planning to repeat the walk next year.
How anyone could find the walk boring is beyond me. The Lake District is a fine walking area but compared to Scotland....
Hope to meet you on the walk one year.

All The Best.

#3829 - 22/10/03 07:25 PM Re: lucky 13
Anonymous
Unregistered

How about next July?

#3830 - 28/10/03 07:56 PM Re: lucky 13
Anonymous
Unregistered

I WILL SEE IF JULY IS POSSIBLE.

#3831 - 21/11/03 03:33 PM Re: lucky 13
Anonymous
Unregistered

Peter, - Serious question ...

Do you still get a buzz out of the walk, when you've done it so many times and are having to drag along a complete bunch of strangers (Some of whom will, no doubt, be a pain in the ass)?

I was offered a similar opportunity while out in Cappadocia (taking groups round the major walking route about twice a year - perhaps leading to doing it all season.) One of my main concerns about doing this type of thing is that I'd end up spoiling the "feel" of the place for myself, and no longer enjoy it ...
... Over to you ..?

#3832 - 21/11/03 06:53 PM Re: lucky 13
Anonymous
Unregistered

arry yes you could become very stale repeating certain walks. I find that up here we really are spoilt for choice many walks/climbs. Many I have not done in ages take on a whole new view if you go out not just to kick cairns and I was guilty of that. No you have to look at the whole outdoor scene by taking note of birds wildlife the old flora and fauna bit.I now like to dig out the old SLR camera, ancient but still takes great pics. Previously the cameras were abandoned when we ticked off munros and stuff. I admit doin the WHW so often can be a bore but I get the buzz not from the walk but from taking newcomers to Scotland or just new to the hills anyway. Like most Scots we "hate" the English but that is tongue in cheek as I have made many friends all over UK. I enjoy taking people to the hills who might otherwise never do so. Such as my own son who has learning difficulties. I certainly enjoyed the C2C but it was a once off for me. The reason is I don't think I would lucky enough to get such good weather again. Do not mind the slagging off on other page, I have been winding up people for years There is nothing we love more than good banter. Also I aint bigheaded with us what you see is what you get. PS I am glad the novice walker bloke has remained I like his wit. Obviously a wee be more educated then a lot of us, yes even me. It would be a shame to see the boards go as first timers need good advice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917