The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3844 - 12/12/03 08:44 PM whw prep
Anonymous
Unregistered

Would the prep for the whw be basically the same as the c2c? Is it less mucky? My chances of getting there are better than my chances of getting to Cappadocia. C. would have to be with a group and a slow moving group at that. I'm fat and a dawdler to boot and would surely be left behind in a random cone! How fast do you pace your groups? varying criteria for each? I read about your big tent. That part sounds especially nice. Are you independent or with a company? c.

#3845 - 12/12/03 10:33 PM Re: whw prep
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Carol, some places don't have the amount of B&Bs to choose from so get in early. nice enjoyable low level walk, nothing too exiting until the final two days. PeterKemp is the man for you, he knows it like the back of his hand. He also leads groups of Walkers/Hikers on the WHW, no doubt he will contact you......Enjoy.

#3846 - 15/12/03 09:51 AM Re: whw prep
Anonymous
Unregistered

Carol,

I found the WHW much easier than the C-2-C, except for the foot pounding due to the surfaces on most paths being so hard (see - there are advatanges with a bit of mud!). Without a full pack, and if you take (say) 8 days it'll be a doddle - and the views are worth savouring. (Jaw-dropping if you get clear skies and snowy tops)

I'd do the WHW again (but get the full pack moved on, rather than carry it - 25 (for the whole route) - a bargain) Just for the scenery. But I'd not do the C2C more than once.

The route itself is a pedestrians motorway and there is absolutely no chance of getting lost, especially with the excellent guidebooks available.

But this (and the GGW follow-on) cost me more than going to Cappadocia later in the year - including the flights. - So if you're walking with a drunken group of old soaks - like I was (am), take lots of money - some excellent pubs to be found!

Of course - if ever you decide on the Cappy option, I could help set it up ....

H.

#3847 - 18/12/03 09:43 AM Re: whw prep
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Carol doing WHW is a much easier stroll than the C2C. I found C2C much harder due to the longer mileages each day. WHW is about 12 miles a day. There are a wide range of trail surface from hard road but that is only a problem on the first day. Day one is dead easy 12 miles on flat but as it is on roads for a bit folk tend to march so result is blisters. The same thing happened on C2C so day one would be a problem on any walk. I only do WHW as a led walk now. I do other things throughout the year. It is a nice way to compliment harder self inflicted days on the hills with a chance to meet people from all over. There are muddy parts but that depends on the weather and can be same anywhere. I carry gaiters but as I wear shorts most times they are not needed. HF holidays who I lead for you can look up on the net, take eight days to complete. We stay three nights in Drymen at the Winnocks Hotel(not quite as posh as the Keswick Country Club Hotel on c2c)but very nice. I would need more time and space to describe Drymen. Luggage is transported ahead you only carry a day pack. I stop at all pubs this is mandatory. We move on to the Ardlui Hotel where you enjoy the best Scottish food I know of. Unless you have a death wish avoid the Scottish breakfast. It is stunning but liable to enduce a cardiac arrest. We spend the remainder of the week at HF house Altshellach overlooking Bishops Bay near the Ballachuilish bridge. This place is just the bees knees. For food, accomodation it is the best. From the dining room you look straight across the loch at the twin munros of Ben Vair (Sgurr Dhonnail and Sgurr Dhearg).
On the last night we have a ceilidh to celebrate and most people wonder why I have done this as often as I have!!.

#3848 - 28/12/03 05:22 PM Re: whw prep
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks Peter and Harry. A participant on the c2c site has suggested that we do the whw late Aug/early Sept when the political maddness will begin to possess the US. AS my hoped for plans to move to England for 3 years have fallen through, I might take her up. I am more interested in the logistics and costs of the Cap. venture, as this is unknown territory as far as planning . Harry- how does it go? Peter- what is the web site for hf holidays? thanks guys

#3849 - 28/12/03 07:22 PM Re: whw prep
Anonymous
Unregistered

Carol you can contact HF Holidays at [email protected] August can be a nice time to visit Scotia but beware the midges/mosquitos. I you do come over let me knoe when and I will meet up with you to welcome you. Today I was on the mountains near the top of Loch Lomond and can confirm winter has arrived. A clear sunny day tick snow on the summits and bitterly cold. Wishing you and yours a Happy and peaceful new year.Peter

#3850 - 30/12/03 12:18 PM Re: whw prep
Anonymous
Unregistered

Carol,

e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll be able to put you in touch with a few people out in Turkey.

Cost-wise you'd be looking at about 5 per per per night B&B, plus transfers and flights. Subsitence is only about 10 per day eating (and drinking!) out all night, every night!

I'll wait to hear from you, and Happy New Year! (I still think WHW in May, and Cappy in Sept. is a good plan for 2004!) - I managed it all last year with only moderate overdraft!)

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917