The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36002 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3857 - 07/01/04 02:37 PM whw - time of year to walk
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am planning on walking the whw in mid-March 2004. Is this an ok time? Will there be enough daylight? How about the weather? My husband and I are in our late 40's and live in Minnesota, USA, so we are experienced with cold!

#3858 - 08/01/04 09:29 AM Re: whw - time of year to walk
June Offline

Loc: Birmingham, West Midlands
You're more likely to have to cope with rain than extreme cold. In mid-March you'll have the same amount of daylight in Scotland as in the US (and, indeed, as everywhere else on the planet, since it's dead on the equinox), although more of it might be obscured by cloud.
At least you won't be troubled by midges, and if you do get chilled it'll be a good excuse to sample the local (distilled) produce.
Best wishes,
June.

#3859 - 09/01/04 09:01 PM Re: whw - time of year to walk
Anonymous
Unregistered

Spring is best time for WHW. Especially on Lomondside as the foliage is less dense so the views are better. There could be snow on the tops and when clear visibility is greter. I usually reccomend the month of May. Yours Peter.

#3860 - 23/01/04 05:11 PM Re: whw - time of year to walk
Pieter van Niekerk Offline

Loc: South Africa
I did it from 31 August 2000 to 6 September 2000. It rained and rained and rained every single day. Sorry one day it did not rain in fact.

Last year I taak my family to Scotland around the same time and guess what -- the most perfect weather throughout the 6 days we visited Scotland.

So, no guarantees. The only guarantee I can give you is that rain or not, the hike was better than the holiday by car as the WHW is one of the GREATEST long distance hikes I have done - if not the greatest and that includes among other the Tour of Mont Blanc.

Enjoy it.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917