The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3861 - 09/01/04 02:26 AM Inchcailloch
walkingwoman Offline

Loc: NY
I am planning to walk the WHW this coming May and I read in one of my guide books that it is worth stopping at Balmaha and visit Inchcailloch. I do not mind taking an extra day if this stop is worth the scenery or if it has historical interest. Any thoughts?, advice? recommendations? Is it worth the day? Thanks!

#3862 - 09/01/04 08:58 PM Re: Inchcailloch
Anonymous
Unregistered

The island is certainly worth a visit. however if you go to the boatyard at Balmaha run by the Mc Farlanes ,they do the postal service on the loch and you can have a nice sail which visits that and other islands in the area. Yours Peter.

#3863 - 09/01/04 11:46 PM Re: Inchcailloch
Jean from Boston Offline

We thought the island was very interesting, with the remains of several graves of early nuns. We just talked to a boatman in the boatyard and he took us to the island and picked us up about 2 hours later. There's a nice trail you can walk around the island.

#3864 - 10/01/04 12:59 AM Re: Inchcailloch
walkingwoman Offline

Thanks Peter and Jean. Since last year when I did the coast to coast too fast to "stop and smell the roses" I have seriously regretted not planning more stops to visit the surrounding places. So, this year I am really trying to think ahead. Thanks for the advice, I will absolutely stop at Balmaha and visit the island. I am also planning to climb Ben Nevis at the end of the walk if the weather permits. Any advice there?

#3865 - 10/01/04 10:47 AM Re: Inchcailloch
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi there just let me know when you do WHW in May as I will be on holiday myself and can possibly do some of it with you . As for the Ben it is a good finish if you are not too tired. I know the tourist track for many can be a bore, but for the average pedestrian it would be the safest way up and down . Anyway the views all the way on a clear day are stunning. Also as I said the islands if you have the time are worth the trip. I personally have not done the sail but years ago I used to shoot duck and greylag geese on the loch in winter. So we did sail about the loch quite a lot especially the farther away islands. Incaillioch did I belive have a nunnery and they were buried there. At the far end of the island is another small islet this is where we would meet in the early winter mornings after smashing the ice to get out of Balmaha Bay, and where we lit huge fires to get warm while we waited the geese flying into the River Endrick at night. Oh the mad things you do when young. I wouldn't think of shooting anything now.
cheers peter

#3866 - 12/01/04 04:17 PM Re: Inchcailloch
Jean from Boston Offline

As for Ben Nevis, we climbed it in early June. It was raining below and snowing with wind above, with snow on the ground on the top. It was a long tough climb and we had no view at the top. I am glad we did it, but I wouldn't say it's the most fun I ever had walking. Still, it's the traditional thing to do, and the views up to about the halfway point were nice. In Fort William be sure to eat at Crannog Seafood Restaurant. Delicious food. We stayed a few extra days and ate there twice. We also took the boat to to see the seal colony. I would not recommend the place we stayed--Distillery House--because it was noisy from the road and the people were not welcoming. I heard good reports about the Grange B&B.

#3867 - 17/01/04 04:06 AM Re: Inchcailloch
walkingwoman Offline

Thanks again for the information. Peter: I read in your posting that you'll be "travelling-road support" on the first week of May. I am planning to start on the 19th and should be back home by the 30th. I am planning to add the Ben if the weather is good, if not I will just visit Fort Williams for the day. Even when I grew up in the Andes, I am not a brave climber but a hardy distance walker, so I'll be more than happy to follow the tourists! Jean: thanks for the advice on the Ben and the seals, I will really like to do that. It is amazing to get advice on the B&B, because I WAS planning to stay at the distillery! Thanks for that too! Are you really in Boston? How are you doing with the "record breaking" temperatures? We have been in permafrost for four days now! Cheers, Rosa.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917