The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3868 - 11/01/04 05:04 PM How to organize WHW. Please help.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi everybody,
we are planning to do the WHW this year after having completed the c2c last year. We appreciated the service of this site concerning the booking of the B&Bs and would like to do the same with the WHW. Unfortunately there is no booking service for the WHW here and the sherpa website seems to be still a little bit under construction. Is there anybody out there who wants to help our walking boots to get out of the cupboard again? The address of a good website for accomodation booking would be great.

Thanks for your help [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/smile.gif[/img] X [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

#3869 - 11/01/04 09:45 PM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
walkingwoman Offline

Loc: NY
Hi there! I am trying to plan my walk too and this is what I found. There are a few services advertised. http://www.west-highland-way.co.uk/mainFrame.htm

I used Sherpa booking accommodation service for the C2C last summer and they were very good.I do not know how they would be for the WHW.

#3870 - 11/01/04 10:13 PM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
georgie-girl Offline

Loc: peterborough. uk
Very costly compared to booking yourself, i did it last year booking my own stops, and still have the list and prices, together with the Phone numbers. If anybody wishes to have them, please dont hesitate to ask.

#3871 - 12/01/04 01:39 AM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
walkingwoman Offline

It is true that it is costly. But it depends where you are. In my case, it is cheaper to use the service than the overseas long distance phone calling.

#3872 - 12/01/04 01:22 PM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
TJ Offline

Loc: wiltshire. england
When we did the C2C we used a booking service which was okay but it was obviously more expensive. last year we decided to book the WHW ourselves via email, this worked out much cheaper and was also nice to have direct contact with the owners. The addresses we got from the official WHW site and the Scottish tourist board. It worked so well for us that we did the same this year for The Dalesway.
We were pleased with all our choices and a few really stood out (Drymen, Kinlochleven and Fort William were top class)

#3873 - 12/01/04 02:28 PM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello,

I would suggest that you use EasyWays if you don't wish to do the booking yourself. They will also take care of the baggage transport and are much cheaper than Sherpa.

Good luck and enjoy.

#3874 - 12/01/04 10:32 PM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you dont book yourself, you dont have the choice of where you bed down !!! Dodgy. And the price will be about 3 a head dearer a night. It's not a difficult job to do it yourself, except Georgie-girls offer.

#3875 - 12/01/04 10:37 PM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
Anonymous
Unregistered

In my last post, for except----read accept. sorry

#3876 - 17/01/04 12:45 PM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
walkingwoman Offline

Following Georgie-girl and others advice I decided to book my accommodations using the accommodation guide published in the official WHW brochure. I tried using the Internet first and then I called the places that do not have email. You were absolutely right; it was easier and far cheaper than I thought. I am still waiting on two places but I am done with the rest. How long did it take? Two days, two hours each but I began to visit the places website, etc. Basically: it can be done more efficiently.

#3877 - 17/01/04 05:09 PM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
Anonymous
Unregistered

hi walking woman nice to see you getting organised. Where have you booked? and when are you off. If you are on for May that can be a busy time. You could get good weather and if clear you will see for miles. May is good for birds , wildlife and especially flowers. cheers Peter

#3878 - 18/01/04 12:46 AM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
walkingwoman Offline

Peter, I sort of answered your previous questions on the other posting. I am planning to stay in Hostels and Bunkhouses with exemption of the first two days and the last day that I have booked a little treat for myself!

#3879 - 18/01/04 04:07 PM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi everybody,

We are very pleased about getting so much helpful advice. Thanks to all of you!!! 
We did as you recommended and visited the website, Walkingwoman. It seems to be really good and we think thats exactly what we needed. Nevertheless of course we appreciate your offer Georgie-Girl. Is there any place you recommend especially? You all convinced us: we will do the booking ourselves now.

#3880 - 19/01/04 08:18 AM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
georgie-girl Offline

Loc: peterborough. uk
There are plenty of nice places and nice people to meet in Scotland. At Milngavie---Westview Guest House (Ian & Jessie McColl.01419-565973).At Drymen ---The Hawthorns(Evelyn Moir.01360-660916). And at Fort William...Ardblair Guest House(Liz Duncan 01397-705832) Who are all very nice people and really look after you, and liz will drive you to the Railway station. If you take the the very scenic ride on the WHW Railway, back to Glasgow. We were well looked after everywhere we stayed in Scotland. I hope these are some help to you. Enjoy yourselves........GG.

#3881 - 21/01/04 03:35 PM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
sherpa Offline

Loc: Heston
Quote:
Originally posted by walking couple2:
Hi everybody,
we are planning to do the WHW this year after having completed the c2c last year. We appreciated the service of this site concerning the booking of the B&Bs and would like to do the same with the WHW. Unfortunately there is no booking service for the WHW here and the sherpa website seems to be still a little bit under construction. Is there anybody out there who wants to help our walking boots to get out of the cupboard again? The address of a good website for accomodation booking would be great.

Thanks for your help [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/smile.gif[/img] X [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Our WHW hotel booking is very much up and running. Lots of people using it. If you had a problem let me know i am sure we can fix it
Sherpavan

#3882 - 21/01/04 06:43 PM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
Anonymous
Unregistered

To walking couple I personally reccomend the Hawthorns B&B at Drymen you will be made most welcome.

#3883 - 21/01/04 06:54 PM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
TJ Offline

Loc: wiltshire. england
We second the recomendation of The Hawthorns at Drymen, and would definately recomend Glenfer in Fort William, both were A1 in every way.

#3884 - 22/01/04 07:54 PM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you happen to arrive in Drymen over a weekend in summer you can join in a ceilidh at the Winnock Hotel in Drymen Square. All through the summer months on a Friday I think. the local pipe band play on the square.in the evenings. However do take note Drymen is where highlands meet the lowlands and historically it was rather a rowdy place. These days if you are lucky you may see on a Saturday a traditional Scots wedding , kilts and all. This often can end in a large fight between the families and I have seen these end with everyone joining in and doing battle with the police. So after Drymen you will be pleased to enjoy the quiet of the Way itself.

#3885 - 22/01/04 07:56 PM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
Anonymous
Unregistered

This weekend I will be doing part of the walk from Milngavie to Drymen and will keep you posted as to any problems.

#3886 - 23/01/04 05:02 PM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
Pieter van Niekerk Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi walking couple2
I used Travel-Lite when I did the WHW in 2000. And what a service! I can 110% recommend them.
Go to their website and you will find all information including email addresses and websites for accomodation along the way. http://www.travel-lite-uk.com/work.htm

As it was the one and only time that I hiked on the principle "They carry the load, I enjoy the road", I also took along my hikers tent and used it every night except on the second night when I stayed in a youth hostel.

It was easy to organize and at a fraction of the price quoted by Sherpa. I suppose Sherpa is OK, but my South African money simply put them far,far, very far above of what I can afford.

This is a GREAT hike and I know you will enjoy it.
Regards
Pieter

#3887 - 28/01/04 07:14 PM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
Anonymous
Unregistered

May we thank you all again for your useful tips.We have booked the Hawthorns and all our other accomodation via phone and e-mail as you recommended and will use Travel-Lite to have our luggage transported.Peter Kemp, thanks for the info and the ceilidh, but Im afraid as we will start on a Monday we will miss it.

#3888 - 30/01/04 02:00 PM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.

Walking couple2,
If you think our advice are free, think again!
Payment is a full report on your hike. We are looking forward to this
Regards
Pieter v N

#3889 - 02/02/04 03:55 PM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
Anonymous
Unregistered

No problem, Pieter. But Im afraid you will have to wait till the end of August.

#3890 - 05/02/04 03:35 AM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
walkingwoman Offline

I have finished planning my trip for May and using the advice in this thread I have been successful in booking all my accommodations. I appreciate all your support and advice to try it instead of using a booking service and I did it! It was far less expensive than I thought it would be and less stressful. I havent got my phone bill yet but I dont think itll be bad. I am absolutely ready and cant hardly wait still spring, how exiting! Thanks everybody! Well see how it goes.

#3891 - 06/02/04 11:25 PM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
hsmale Offline

Loc: Escanaba, Mich, USA
Re: Phone Bill. I use a calling card purchased at Sam's (AT&T) and the calls to GB cost about 15 cents per minute. I think that is a good deal, but we'll see when you get your phone bill.

#3892 - 12/04/04 10:00 PM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi walkingcouple2. We did the C2C last year in August (was that the same time as you?) We are doing the WHW the last week in April, followed by the Great Glen way the first week in May. We can email you our itinerary if you want to adapt it for August.

Quote:
Originally posted by Walking Couple 2:
No problem, Pieter. But Im afraid you will have to wait till the end of August.

#3893 - 13/04/04 12:08 PM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi WalkingCouple2,
what a pity you are booked for the end of August as my wife and I are looking at the beginning of September!! We would have enjoyed your company I'm certain !!
I hope you have good weather and enjoy the walk...I know that part of Scotland very well and the views are spectacular so make certain your camera has plenty of spare batteries or spare spools as the case may be LOL
Cheers,
Bill.

#3894 - 14/04/04 07:38 AM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have just walked the West Highland Way over 6 days and it was thoroughly enjoyable. Fortunately the weather held!

I found the route to be very quiet but perhaps that is normal for the end of March.

The days were as follows

1. Milngavie - Balmaha
2. Balmaha - Inversnaid
3. Inversnaid - Crianlarich
4. Crianlarich - Bridge of Orchy
5. Bridge of Orchy - Kinlochleven
6. Kinlochleven - Fort William.

I was quite pleased with my self as I have never done any distance walking.

#3895 - 15/04/04 11:39 PM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well done on your completion of the Way. I hope you thoroughly enjoyed your walk. As I keep saying anyone can do it . Well done.

#3896 - 16/04/04 02:18 PM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would recommend it to anyone wanting to give it a go.

I would say out of the whole walk my favourite part of the way would be between Tyndrum and Kinlochleven.

Hopefully as the season moves on the mud at the farm 1 mile short of Crianlarich will have dried up [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/redface.gif[/img])

#3897 - 21/04/04 07:09 PM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by tony&ann:
Hi walkingcouple2. We did the C2C last year in August (was that the same time as you?) We are doing the WHW the last week in April, followed by the Great Glen way the first week in May. We can email you our itinerary if you want to adapt it for August.

Hi Tony and Anne! We started in St.Bees on 30/07 and arrived in RHB on 15/08.Probably you overtook us somewhere on the way. It was our first long distance walk and when we planned the legs in advance we underestimated ourselves a bit. But we enjoyed every single day and were glad to have enough time to do so.Lets hope that the WHW will turn out equally good!Actually Im quite optimistic with all the enthusiastic messages in this forum and I cant wait to start off. I wish you good weather, nice people on the way and lots of fun. Enjoy it!
Claudia

#3898 - 21/04/04 07:21 PM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BillHemphill:
Hi WalkingCouple2,
what a pity you are booked for the end of August as my wife and I are looking at the beginning of September!! We would have enjoyed your company I'm certain !!
I hope you have good weather and enjoy the walk...I know that part of Scotland very well and the views are spectacular so make certain your camera has plenty of spare batteries or spare spools as the case may be LOL
Cheers,
Bill.

Hi Bill, yes it is indeed a pity! We actually start on August 16th and arrive in Fort William on the 22nd (lets hope).But Im sure there will be lots of nice people on the WHW in September, too.Perhaps we can give you some tips when we have finished the walk.
Cheers, Claudia

#3899 - 21/04/04 07:27 PM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.

I am doing the C2C from 6 August this year and am already worried that the experience will not be as good as the WHW. The WHW will always have a special place in my heart as it is truely a wonderfull long distance hike

#3900 - 21/04/04 08:40 PM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pieter, Im sure you will like the c2c.Actually Scotland is our favourite part of GB, thats why we want to do the WHW, but the the Lake District is really beautiful, too. Trust me.And the fact that you cross England from coast to coast on foot is something special, too. Besides, as you have asked us for a full report on the WHW we look forward to your report on the c2c. Then we can compare our experiences.I understand that we will reach our different destinations at approximately the same time. I wish you and us all that we hope for.
Regards, Claudia

#3901 - 21/04/04 09:22 PM Re: How to organize WHW. Please help.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cheers Claudia,

I hope you have a great time and the weather and the midgies are kind to you LOL
I will look forward to your report at the end!!

Bill.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917