The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36002 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#38740 - 06/06/06 09:58 PM Pilgrims Way
Wendy Offline

Loc: UK
Does anybody know much about The Pilgrims Way walk? The route, terrain, campsites etc? I've been looking on websites but can't find out much about it.

#38741 - 06/06/06 10:13 PM Re: Pilgrims Way
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Wendy, methinks it's the old route between Winchester and Canterbury, much of which is now under new main highways such that the North Downs Way is the one to walk instead.

#38742 - 07/06/06 02:40 PM Re: Pilgrims Way
kevanliz Offline

Loc: London
Wendy

The good Lounge Lizard is correct - The Pilgrims Way no longer really exists as a 'walking route' most of it has been lost to highways. Hence many streets named Pilgrims Way in the area.

Parts of it exist along stretches of the North Downs Way along which there are several reminders in the form of place names and crosses.

Some parts still exist as trackways close to the North Downs Way, although this does not extend as far west as Winchester.

Take a look at the journal http://journals.aol.co.uk/kevanliz/NorthDownsWay/

took this from the local BBC site....

Runs from Winchester to Canterbury.

One hundred and twenty miles in length.

Two thirds of the track is still identifiable.

Some historians believe that the route pre-dates the pilgrims and was used by Palaeolithic hunters 250,000 years ago.

The great pilgrimage following the murder of Archbishop Becket in 1170 made the road particularly popular for pilgrims.

Hilaire Belloc wrote the first authoritative account of the Pilgrims' Way' in 1904.

[This message has been edited by kevanliz (edited 07 June 2006).]

#38743 - 08/06/06 09:58 AM Re: Pilgrims Way
Pieman Offline

My brother with some friends walked the Pilgrims Way in April. They went from Winchester to Canterbury and, as I understand, it takes in St Swithan's Way, Pilgrims Way and the North Downs Way.

Their route and itinerary (involving some quite hefty mileage) was:
Winchester to Froyle (nr Alton)- 23 miles
Froyle to Farnham - 9.5 miles
Farnham to Dorking - 22 miles
Dorking to Oxted - 22 miles
Oxted to Wrotham - 18.5 miles
Wrotham to Thurnham (nr Detling)- 20 miles
Thurnham to Boughton Aluph - 21 miles
Boughton Aluph to Canterbury - 11.5 miles

Hope this helps

#38744 - 08/06/06 09:34 PM Re: Pilgrims Way
Wendy Offline

Thanks everybody.... this is great, keep'em all coming!! Pieman this is great just what I was looking for so I can plan my route. Do you know if they camped/b&b'd/hostelled on their travels? Some-one told me that some parts are plagued with 'undesirables and louts on motorbikes' (their words not mine!) Is this true and if so where???!!!

#38745 - 09/06/06 04:48 PM Re: Pilgrims Way
kevanliz Offline

Loc: London
Wendy

I can only recall 2 campsites, there are a number of caravan parks though that may also allow camping.

Re comments about the locals on motorbikes.

Most of the NDW takes in many RUPP's ( road used as a public path, BOAT's ( byway open to all traffic )restricted byways and forest tracks, watch out for the change in colour on the waymarkers and as soon you hit a red route you will unfortunately be sharing the path with off road vehicles. It is mainly a weekend thing and can include Chelsea Tractors, Quad bikes, Trail bikes, scramblers, mountain bikes and the local hunt.

I can only say that on most occasions the riders showed respect to those walking along the route, if not to the path itself!

#38746 - 10/06/06 09:18 AM Re: Pilgrims Way
Pieman Offline

Wendy - all the places they stayed were B&B's or pubs. As to motorbikes they didn't actually encounter any on their walk but my bro says that he has experienced this problem on other occasions on parts of the North Downs Way.

#38747 - 11/06/06 01:09 PM Re: Pilgrims Way
Wendy Offline

Ok, confusion has set in so lets have a vote!! Should I do this walk or not? I'm wondering if its worth all the time or effort if I'm not gonna enjoy it!

ALL THOSE IN FAVOUR SAY AYE!

#38748 - 11/06/06 04:59 PM Re: Pilgrims Way
Pieman Offline

Difficult to say Wendy having not done the walk and what schedule you are thinking about doing, but I think my brother's group found some of the distances hard going given that they were only able or willing to take a week off work.
I don't know what other walks you have done but my recommendation? The C2C is fantastic if you have 2 weeks or the West Highland Way nearly as good if you only have a week available.
Advantages of these or other more recognised walks is that baggage transfer is available
Whatever you decide I hope you enjoy it.

#38749 - 11/06/06 10:35 PM Re: Pilgrims Way
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Wendy. Why not toss a coin ?
Heads, you walk the Pilgrims Way.
Tails, you stay at home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917