The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36002 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#38876 - 20/06/06 10:21 PM Camping with a Dog ?
walk-the-walk Offline

Loc: Leicestershire
Hello, new boy here. Been walking in the hills for years. Coast to Coast 15 Years ago (before it was trendy) and lots of decent stuff since.

However whilst I have taken my Border Collie into the hills for many a day I have never really camped with Her. New pup this year and thinking I may well do some multi-day walks with her later in the year.

Anyone done this, got any tips ??

Ta.

#38877 - 21/06/06 08:56 AM Re: Camping with a Dog ?
LoneWalker Offline

Loc: Cheshire, UK
Hi

Although the search function is a bit flakey (it don't work basically), there are loads of threads on the board relating to walking, camping and B&Bing with dogs.

Knock yourself out

#38878 - 21/06/06 03:21 PM Re: Camping with a Dog ?
H Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
I take one or both of my collies on shorter (2 - 5 day) multi-day walks.

In Summer there aren't any major issues - I take an old spare fleece for them to sleep on, a small quantity of dry (complete) dog food, and buy the odd tin of food if passing through a village, for them to eat on the spot.

The younger one has been known to knacker himself during the day to the point where he'd rather sleep than eat in the evening, and once when he'd done this for two succesive days I resorted to buying him a kiddies chicken nugget dinner in the pub. - Which he did think was worth staying awake for!

Winter is slightly different as my dogs have learned to appreciate the benefits of a thermarest! - This has led to many nocturnal battles (with me) and sleepless nights (for me!).

Fortunately I have a 'spare' short-length thermarest, and as Winter back-packs are generally only 2 nights, max. I can usually fit this in my pack OK. Both dogs have learned to stay on that one quite happily and not invade mine - and I consider that the extra weight is worth the improved nights sleep for all parties involved.

So if you're ever around York and hear of a mad old git who back-packs with a spare thermarest for his dog(s) - You'll now know who it is ... and Why!

H.

#38879 - 24/06/06 09:47 PM Re: Camping with a Dog ?
Rufus Offline

Loc: UK
Hi,

just tried a couple of walks with my hound, a cocker spaniel. I can vouch for the battle for thermal efficiency, usually around 5am. I resorted to carrying a short piece of Karrimat which he seemed pleased with. The only drawbacks I can faced where dificulty in changing plans if things were bad (ie too much rain) and pubs that were not dog friendly, otherwise great company, never complain about speed, ask what time lunch is or complain about the distance,

Good luck,

Andrew

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917