The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#39796 - 05/12/06 11:05 AM Hello, anybody there.
bb&gg Offline

Loc: East anglia/England
Whats happened to this Forum. ???

Used to come here about once a fortnight to catch up on all the letters and all the news, but when i come here now theres nothing to catch up on. Where's all the posters.??
Might have to go somewhere else for my Regular intake of gossip.

gg.

[This message has been edited by bb&gg (edited 05 December 2006).]

#39797 - 05/12/06 01:18 PM Re: Hello, anybody there.
landryrk Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Hello from Austin, Texas.

Everyone in the UK must be busy or walking. No time for idle chatter! Meanwhile, we're busy trying to decide on what LDP to do next: Hadrian's Wall, the West Highland Way, or the Dingle Way. The LDPs here in the USA (Appalachian Way, Pacific Crest Trail, and the Continental Divide Trail) are just too bloody hard and require just about 100% camping out with a heavy kit. We like the B&B and pub pampering on English LDPs.

C2C September 2004
Cotswolds Way May-June 2006
Dingle Way August-September 2007
Hadrian's Wall September 2009
Essex Way April 2013

#39798 - 05/12/06 04:29 PM Re: Hello, anybody there.
H Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
I've tried - Posted about Keld Youth Hostel potentially becoming part-bunkhouse, part micro-brewery. (Is that Heaven? or Shangri-La?)

Been on an ale-soaked multi-dayer.. and crowed about it!

But these days there's no-one here to raise contentious issues or be cantankerous.

I thought you two were off to Cappadoccia?
... err sometime ...

and Landryk - Remember beer prices in Ireland are higher than in England - and you have a weak dollar - so could be expensive!

Hadrians wall has a poor finish, whichever direction you travel in.

Looks like its the West Highland Way, then!

I'd love to know what a 'Colonial' would make of the Drovers Inn!

H.

#39799 - 05/12/06 05:32 PM Re: Hello, anybody there.
HikeMania Offline

I'm still here -- I suppose one factor in the relative "quiet" on the forum might be that it's not the peak walking season.

We're still planning our Hadrian's Wall walk for the spring, but we don't have much to add to the forum at the moment. I still check it every day, though!

And hi, landryk -- I'm a septic myself [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/wink.gif[/img] (we live in Florida), and agree with you fully re LDPs in the UK vs the US. We've walked the ODP and the Dales Way, and as you can see from the paragraph above, will be walking the HW soon. I don't know when you're going, but if we go before you, I'll let you know of our experiences along the path.

H, is the Drovers Inn near Loch Lomond?

#39800 - 05/12/06 05:47 PM Re: Hello, anybody there.
bb&gg Offline

Loc: East anglia/England
Noooooooo, you dont want to go to the DROVERS, ok to pop in for a pint, But dont ever dream of staying overnight.
And dont be swayed by these people who tell you its full of Character.
Its full of rotting stuffed animals and is filthy, God knows how it got a clean bill of health certificate, it must be the Dirtiest B&B i've ever had the misfortune to stay at. Be Warned.

gg.

#39801 - 05/12/06 07:56 PM Re: Hello, anybody there.
Nimrod Offline

Loc: Billingham,Cleveland
I can't speak for anyone else,but my injection on this site has been subdued somewhat because of the lack of walking I have done this year. Also,my planning for the C2C next year as been put on hold until the New Year,as I have got to be more focused on my job,being a busy time of the year in my trade.
Hopefully,2007 will see a resurrection in my walking activities.
Nimrod

#39802 - 05/12/06 08:33 PM Re: Hello, anybody there.
debbie Offline

Loc: cornwall
the drovers is brilliant! admittedly i'd had one over the eight and there was live music. but i spoke to a couple who were staying over and they loved it.

hi nimrod, you're right it is a busy work time and it's not been the best of walking conditions lately. i've just been up on dartmoor reccying a 14ml walk that i'm leading in april. it was fabulous, the rivers were in full spate, and there were several gorgeous waterfalls, though one river crossing was a tad scary! but i was well lucky with the weather, a bit windy and a couple of showers, but dartmoor at it's best.

#39803 - 05/12/06 08:46 PM Re: Hello, anybody there.
sparnel Offline

Loc: scotland
I've been checking this site from time to time & have noticed it has been quiet.
Before the site hosts threatened to close the site, there were quite a few people who abused the forum. Hopefully folk will post questions and comments without fear of snide comments. But that's in the past.

It's not been good walking weather here in the Highlands of Scotland at any rate.
Days of very heavy rain.
Looking forward to the Festive break & getting back out walking. Anyone booked up yet for the WHW?

Sparnel

#39804 - 05/12/06 10:37 PM Re: Hello, anybody there.
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
I'm always ready to give any information and helpful advice I can but few people seem to be asking for it at present. Perhaps the forum will pick up a bit when all the Christmas and New Year parties are over and the days start getting longer again.

#39805 - 06/12/06 07:45 AM Re: Hello, anybody there.
Kate's Dad Offline

Loc: Derbyshire
We've done bits of the Dingle Way. There are some lovely stretches off the roads but road walking does make up long parts and Dingle Town is very touristy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917