The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36002 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#39905 - 13/01/07 04:27 PM Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Albionman Offline

Loc: Ilkley, Yorkshire
Hi folks

I'm a cafe owner in a small town in the Yorkshire Dales which attracts a large number of walkers - I sometimes get asked to make up a packed lunch for people going off walking for the day and I wondered if I should market this service more widely?

Being a keen Dales walker myself I know that on many local walks there are few if any places to eat and I was considering offering a service where if you order by close of play the day before - either in person or by email, fax or phone - you can pick up the lunch first thing in the morning. Do you think that would be of interest to people?

If so, what would you expect in such a lunch and what would you be prepared to pay? I was thinking along these lines:

- 2 rounds of sandwiches
- 1 piece of fruit
- 1 drink (juice or water?)
- 1 cereal bar (or chocolate bar?)
- 1 bag of crisps

Is that too much/not enough is the balance of items right?
How much would you pay for it?

Id be really grateful for your feedback and views on any other services a business like mine could provide for walkers.

Thanks
Ian

#39906 - 13/01/07 04:42 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
basil Offline

Loc: Bristol
Albionman,
This is a very good idea, as when I'm on LDP's you tend to just get what amounts to a fairly unimaginative package.

Your suggestions sounds pretty much what most folks consider a good packed lunch but what about some local delights, all those wonderful cheeses and hams and some home made cake?

I'll look you up when next up that way, if you've got some decent local cheeses, hams and pickles.

Wouldn't mind paying a premium for it either.

#39907 - 13/01/07 05:51 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
You may wish to try and get local B&Bs to market your service (for a % of the price). I would be unlikely to email, phone etc for a packed lunch). Happy to pop in the night before if you were local or pop in in the morning on the basis that there are some to pick up. Like the food but personally I don't like crisps in my packed lunch, whilst I like them they are never easy to pack unless you add more weight for a container and if you don't they get severely broken! Keen on Mars bars, the chocolate doesn't seem to melt notwithstanding the heat of the day!

Good luck
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019.

#39908 - 13/01/07 08:43 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
My own packed lunches tend to contain:
Mars bars, Bonbel cheeses, uncut Salami type sausage,bananas,hard uncut whole grain bread.

Water is normally already carried in back pack lungs or in daily water bottles.

I find that prepared sandwiches go soggy and become indigestable. Crisps, fruit juice, apples, oranges, cereal bars make me thirsty and give me acid heart burn, and I am always having to stop to force air up out of my stomach.

I always carry a pack of nuts, raisins, dried fruit, or jerky in my pocket for along the trail nibbles extra energy boosts.

Most times now in the winter I carry a thermos of hot, sweet green tea to keep my body temperature up.

If you can start the B&B's along these LDT's producing thoughtful, healthy, packed lunches it would be wonderful, as now I have stopped asking for them. They cost too much and I throw them away after carrying them all day.

One thing that spoils walks for me is to come across thrown down food and packing waste along the trail.

#39909 - 14/01/07 05:00 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Albionman. For those of us blessed with a healthy appetite the Packed Lunch you describe would barely be adequate as a mid-morning snack half way towards the lunchtime pub stop. Some accomodation providers offer a choice of packed lunches and it might be a good idea for you to consider also offering a Premium Packed Lunch, at a higher price and also probably more profitable, consisting of the items you suggest plus an extra round of sandwiches, a pork pie, a cake, the recommended five daily portions of fruit, a bar of Kendal Mint Cake and a litre carton of fruit juice.

#39910 - 14/01/07 05:20 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Albionman Offline

Loc: Ilkley, Yorkshire
Blimey LL - I'm amazed you can walk anywhere carrying that lot!

#39911 - 14/01/07 06:02 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Sam Peps Offline

There are lunches, feasts, gluttony,and then there's ...

#39912 - 14/01/07 08:54 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
.......one could also pull a trailer with an ale keg. This would solve most problems.

#39913 - 14/01/07 08:59 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Oldun, 'cask' not 'keg' please !

#39914 - 14/01/07 09:43 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
madame cholet Offline

Loc: wimbledon
A thoughtful stoking is always in order and very difficult to find for travellers. I try to throw in some gourmet offerings whenever I can, but usually eat very light when walking, trail mix, fruit, perhaps a piece of quiche and a flask of honeyed tea. I prefer the incentive of a fine, well deserved feast in the pub after a long day on the fells.

LL, that's a big mid morning refuelling and Sam, does someone keep interupting you mid sent......

Gourmet Cholet

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917