The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36002 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#39915 - 15/01/07 12:37 AM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Helen1 Offline

Loc: Wales
Hi,

When I walked part of the Offas Dyke in 2005, I stayed in a hotel and you ordered your packed lunch the night before, you could choose what you had on your sandwiches. There was

2 rounds of sandwiches
1 carton fruit juice
1 apple
cheese and crackers with pickles
1 bag crisps

may have been something else but cant remember what, but thats the type of thing I would pay for. Maybe chocolate bars, cereal bars, I also like things like cold chicken legs etc.

Might be a good idea to have a selection o people can choose and you can then cater for a wide range of tastes?

#39916 - 15/01/07 08:01 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Nimrod Offline

Loc: Billingham,Cleveland
I always start off with a good breakfast,and then carry nothing more nuts,dried banana and Jerky. Water (tap water) suffices me for my thirst,as I find it better than carbonated drinks,which does little to quench your thirst. Boiled sweets or Mint Cake to bolster up your energy,but dried banana does that anyway. Why dried banana (or banana chips) - because if I put a fresh banana in my rucksack and I forget to eat it,I then forget it is in my rucksack. DOH!!!!!!!!!!
Nimrod

#39917 - 16/01/07 12:23 AM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
landryrk Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
When we did the C2C in September 2004, we purchased lunches from our B&B's like everyone and were mostly happy with the offerings (except for cheese & pickle sandwiches) but there was just too much food for us which was excacerbated by post-walk consumption of the so-called 'digestible' buscuits. So, when we walked the Cotswold Way in the spring of 2006, all we did was make some takeaway bacon sandwiches with some leftover breakfast toast (our B&B proprietors didn't seem to mind) and we supplemented these sandwiches with Zone powerbars that we bought over from Texas and locally purchased fresh fruit and nuts. We had plenty of food and that helped to offset the horrendously dear cost of those B&B's in Glouchestershire.

C2C September 2004
Cotswolds Way May-June 2006
Dingle Way August-September 2007
Hadrian's Wall September 2009
Essex Way April 2013

#39918 - 16/01/07 03:03 AM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
basil Offline

Loc: Bristol
OK, here's how you REALLY do it:

Make a good batch of beef bourgignon, cut out some puff pastry circles. In the morning of your walk, simply plop a heaped dessert spoon of the stew into the middle of the of one half of the circle and fold over the pastry and seal with some beaten egg or water. Brush some egg wash on the top of the pasty and wack in the oven for 20/25 mins on about 180/200 depending on the oven.

Take out and allow to cool for 5 mins and then wrap in kitchen paper, followed by a tea towel or serviette and then foil.

When you're at the summit or other well deserving location, unwrap your parcel and the pasty will still be just warm.

I absolutely implore you to get your head round this concept and try it. Believe me it's little more effort than making a sandwich, just some planning involved, and obviously for those staying in self catering.

Vegetarians, spicey lentil stew works just as well.

On many a top I have enjoyed these and I can tell you there's nothing quite like it.

more suggestions to follow.

Basil

#39919 - 16/01/07 06:46 AM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Arial Offline

Basil,

What a lovely suggestion. When we walked the PW in '05, my friend and I found our favorite lunch included a hard cheese, nan bread and hummus, accompanied by fruit and penguins. On the first day of our walk we met a young man who admitted that he was forced to pack in his PW 10 years earlier when he and his chum argued over penguins one morning at Hadrian's Wall. The penguins didn't translate immediately and amused by the confusion, we made penguins our staple chocolate. Truth be known, the chocolate on them is a wee bit messy and mars bars are probably a better choice.

#39920 - 16/01/07 07:08 AM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
My school lunches as a kid were chip butties and a whole swiss roll, washed down with a bottle of Tizer. I quickly gave up walking to school and began rolling all the way.

#39921 - 16/01/07 09:04 AM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
bb&gg Offline

Loc: East anglia/England
Basil said......"Make a good batch of beef bourgignon".
If you can get through on your Mobile Phone, do you instruct the B&BS to prepare this for you in advance, Do you also take your full Dinner service, complete with Knife fork and spoon. Whatever Next [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/img]. Maybe someone could Erect some Tables and Chairs atop of Kidsty Pike for you, and make the day of it.

#39922 - 16/01/07 01:18 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Steve N Offline

Albionman, I think you've got it about right, that is, as far as my personal taste goes (although I take Oldun's point about soggy sandwiches - depends what you put in them!). As far as I can remember, the many packed lunches I bought on the Pennine Way last summer varied around the 3-4 mark which felt fine. One or two were more exotic and a little pricier.

#39923 - 16/01/07 02:28 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
basil Offline

Loc: Bristol
'....and obviously for those in self catering'

If you need a knife, fork and spoon to eat a pasty, you should be reminded that a thumb and finger, even gloved will do just as well, as for the serviettes, well they are all part of the packaging I mentioned. I'm not even against the back of your sleeve.

If you've never sat down to take in the wonders, while munching on a still warm pasty, oozing with beef caserole, or spicey lentils, sitting on a dry rock, well, quite frankly, you've missed out on one of the 5* experiences of picnicing.

Basil

#39924 - 16/01/07 03:15 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
What are the other 4* experiences of picnicing?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917