The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36002 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#39905 - 13/01/07 04:27 PM Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Albionman Offline

Loc: Ilkley, Yorkshire
Hi folks

I'm a cafe owner in a small town in the Yorkshire Dales which attracts a large number of walkers - I sometimes get asked to make up a packed lunch for people going off walking for the day and I wondered if I should market this service more widely?

Being a keen Dales walker myself I know that on many local walks there are few if any places to eat and I was considering offering a service where if you order by close of play the day before - either in person or by email, fax or phone - you can pick up the lunch first thing in the morning. Do you think that would be of interest to people?

If so, what would you expect in such a lunch and what would you be prepared to pay? I was thinking along these lines:

- 2 rounds of sandwiches
- 1 piece of fruit
- 1 drink (juice or water?)
- 1 cereal bar (or chocolate bar?)
- 1 bag of crisps

Is that too much/not enough is the balance of items right?
How much would you pay for it?

Id be really grateful for your feedback and views on any other services a business like mine could provide for walkers.

Thanks
Ian

#39906 - 13/01/07 04:42 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
basil Offline

Loc: Bristol
Albionman,
This is a very good idea, as when I'm on LDP's you tend to just get what amounts to a fairly unimaginative package.

Your suggestions sounds pretty much what most folks consider a good packed lunch but what about some local delights, all those wonderful cheeses and hams and some home made cake?

I'll look you up when next up that way, if you've got some decent local cheeses, hams and pickles.

Wouldn't mind paying a premium for it either.

#39907 - 13/01/07 05:51 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
You may wish to try and get local B&Bs to market your service (for a % of the price). I would be unlikely to email, phone etc for a packed lunch). Happy to pop in the night before if you were local or pop in in the morning on the basis that there are some to pick up. Like the food but personally I don't like crisps in my packed lunch, whilst I like them they are never easy to pack unless you add more weight for a container and if you don't they get severely broken! Keen on Mars bars, the chocolate doesn't seem to melt notwithstanding the heat of the day!

Good luck
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019.

#39908 - 13/01/07 08:43 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
My own packed lunches tend to contain:
Mars bars, Bonbel cheeses, uncut Salami type sausage,bananas,hard uncut whole grain bread.

Water is normally already carried in back pack lungs or in daily water bottles.

I find that prepared sandwiches go soggy and become indigestable. Crisps, fruit juice, apples, oranges, cereal bars make me thirsty and give me acid heart burn, and I am always having to stop to force air up out of my stomach.

I always carry a pack of nuts, raisins, dried fruit, or jerky in my pocket for along the trail nibbles extra energy boosts.

Most times now in the winter I carry a thermos of hot, sweet green tea to keep my body temperature up.

If you can start the B&B's along these LDT's producing thoughtful, healthy, packed lunches it would be wonderful, as now I have stopped asking for them. They cost too much and I throw them away after carrying them all day.

One thing that spoils walks for me is to come across thrown down food and packing waste along the trail.

#39909 - 14/01/07 05:00 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Albionman. For those of us blessed with a healthy appetite the Packed Lunch you describe would barely be adequate as a mid-morning snack half way towards the lunchtime pub stop. Some accomodation providers offer a choice of packed lunches and it might be a good idea for you to consider also offering a Premium Packed Lunch, at a higher price and also probably more profitable, consisting of the items you suggest plus an extra round of sandwiches, a pork pie, a cake, the recommended five daily portions of fruit, a bar of Kendal Mint Cake and a litre carton of fruit juice.

#39910 - 14/01/07 05:20 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Albionman Offline

Blimey LL - I'm amazed you can walk anywhere carrying that lot!

#39911 - 14/01/07 06:02 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Sam Peps Offline

There are lunches, feasts, gluttony,and then there's ...

#39912 - 14/01/07 08:54 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Oldun Offline

.......one could also pull a trailer with an ale keg. This would solve most problems.

#39913 - 14/01/07 08:59 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Lounge Lizard Offline

Oldun, 'cask' not 'keg' please !

#39914 - 14/01/07 09:43 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
madame cholet Offline

Loc: wimbledon
A thoughtful stoking is always in order and very difficult to find for travellers. I try to throw in some gourmet offerings whenever I can, but usually eat very light when walking, trail mix, fruit, perhaps a piece of quiche and a flask of honeyed tea. I prefer the incentive of a fine, well deserved feast in the pub after a long day on the fells.

LL, that's a big mid morning refuelling and Sam, does someone keep interupting you mid sent......

Gourmet Cholet

#39915 - 15/01/07 12:37 AM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Helen1 Offline

Loc: Wales
Hi,

When I walked part of the Offas Dyke in 2005, I stayed in a hotel and you ordered your packed lunch the night before, you could choose what you had on your sandwiches. There was

2 rounds of sandwiches
1 carton fruit juice
1 apple
cheese and crackers with pickles
1 bag crisps

may have been something else but cant remember what, but thats the type of thing I would pay for. Maybe chocolate bars, cereal bars, I also like things like cold chicken legs etc.

Might be a good idea to have a selection o people can choose and you can then cater for a wide range of tastes?

#39916 - 15/01/07 08:01 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Nimrod Offline

Loc: Billingham,Cleveland
I always start off with a good breakfast,and then carry nothing more nuts,dried banana and Jerky. Water (tap water) suffices me for my thirst,as I find it better than carbonated drinks,which does little to quench your thirst. Boiled sweets or Mint Cake to bolster up your energy,but dried banana does that anyway. Why dried banana (or banana chips) - because if I put a fresh banana in my rucksack and I forget to eat it,I then forget it is in my rucksack. DOH!!!!!!!!!!
Nimrod

#39917 - 16/01/07 12:23 AM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
landryrk Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
When we did the C2C in September 2004, we purchased lunches from our B&B's like everyone and were mostly happy with the offerings (except for cheese & pickle sandwiches) but there was just too much food for us which was excacerbated by post-walk consumption of the so-called 'digestible' buscuits. So, when we walked the Cotswold Way in the spring of 2006, all we did was make some takeaway bacon sandwiches with some leftover breakfast toast (our B&B proprietors didn't seem to mind) and we supplemented these sandwiches with Zone powerbars that we bought over from Texas and locally purchased fresh fruit and nuts. We had plenty of food and that helped to offset the horrendously dear cost of those B&B's in Glouchestershire.

C2C September 2004
Cotswolds Way May-June 2006
Dingle Way August-September 2007
Hadrian's Wall September 2009
Essex Way April 2013

#39918 - 16/01/07 03:03 AM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
basil Offline

OK, here's how you REALLY do it:

Make a good batch of beef bourgignon, cut out some puff pastry circles. In the morning of your walk, simply plop a heaped dessert spoon of the stew into the middle of the of one half of the circle and fold over the pastry and seal with some beaten egg or water. Brush some egg wash on the top of the pasty and wack in the oven for 20/25 mins on about 180/200 depending on the oven.

Take out and allow to cool for 5 mins and then wrap in kitchen paper, followed by a tea towel or serviette and then foil.

When you're at the summit or other well deserving location, unwrap your parcel and the pasty will still be just warm.

I absolutely implore you to get your head round this concept and try it. Believe me it's little more effort than making a sandwich, just some planning involved, and obviously for those staying in self catering.

Vegetarians, spicey lentil stew works just as well.

On many a top I have enjoyed these and I can tell you there's nothing quite like it.

more suggestions to follow.

Basil

#39919 - 16/01/07 06:46 AM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Arial Offline

Basil,

What a lovely suggestion. When we walked the PW in '05, my friend and I found our favorite lunch included a hard cheese, nan bread and hummus, accompanied by fruit and penguins. On the first day of our walk we met a young man who admitted that he was forced to pack in his PW 10 years earlier when he and his chum argued over penguins one morning at Hadrian's Wall. The penguins didn't translate immediately and amused by the confusion, we made penguins our staple chocolate. Truth be known, the chocolate on them is a wee bit messy and mars bars are probably a better choice.

#39920 - 16/01/07 07:08 AM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Oldun Offline

My school lunches as a kid were chip butties and a whole swiss roll, washed down with a bottle of Tizer. I quickly gave up walking to school and began rolling all the way.

#39921 - 16/01/07 09:04 AM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
bb&gg Offline

Loc: East anglia/England
Basil said......"Make a good batch of beef bourgignon".
If you can get through on your Mobile Phone, do you instruct the B&BS to prepare this for you in advance, Do you also take your full Dinner service, complete with Knife fork and spoon. Whatever Next [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/img]. Maybe someone could Erect some Tables and Chairs atop of Kidsty Pike for you, and make the day of it.

#39922 - 16/01/07 01:18 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Steve N Offline

Albionman, I think you've got it about right, that is, as far as my personal taste goes (although I take Oldun's point about soggy sandwiches - depends what you put in them!). As far as I can remember, the many packed lunches I bought on the Pennine Way last summer varied around the 3-4 mark which felt fine. One or two were more exotic and a little pricier.

#39923 - 16/01/07 02:28 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
basil Offline

'....and obviously for those in self catering'

If you need a knife, fork and spoon to eat a pasty, you should be reminded that a thumb and finger, even gloved will do just as well, as for the serviettes, well they are all part of the packaging I mentioned. I'm not even against the back of your sleeve.

If you've never sat down to take in the wonders, while munching on a still warm pasty, oozing with beef caserole, or spicey lentils, sitting on a dry rock, well, quite frankly, you've missed out on one of the 5* experiences of picnicing.

Basil

#39924 - 16/01/07 03:15 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Oldun Offline

What are the other 4* experiences of picnicing?

#39925 - 16/01/07 03:32 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
bb&gg Offline

Loc: East anglia/England
In Basils case ....

No 1...pulling over on the hard shoulder and getting your flask and two deckchairs out of the boot.

PS... you cant walk very far if you can.....
""munch on a still warm pasty""

#39926 - 16/01/07 03:48 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Sam Peps Offline

Those top of the range beef Vol-o-vent sound magnificent.

I warrant even LL would break into a smile if you passed him one whilst he was pulling the nails from his lunch crate.

Of course, only so long as they'd been heated to the regulation temp.....

#39927 - 16/01/07 04:05 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Lounge Lizard Offline

A good crusty loaf of bread and a large Thermos flask of thick soup can make a good mid morning snack.
I've not tried it myself yet, but I've heard that a sheep, caught, strangled and roasted over a log fire can be good if you've forgotten or lost your packed lunch. Better still would be venison, wild of course as the farmed version is nothing like as tasty.

[This message has been edited by Lounge Lizard (edited 16 January 2007).]

#39928 - 16/01/07 08:50 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
basil Offline

Lounge Lizzard, Now you're talking! Remember the dough can be proving throughout the night and whacked into a hot oven for 25 minutes or so, or rolls, 10-12 minutes, as you're getting your breakfast and putting your boots on. The soup of course can be the homemade soup from the night before and tipped into a flask.

N.B.: FOR THOSE SELF CATERING ONLY!

Look for a dry rock, or not if you've waterproofs and you're off!

Basil (torn and never chopped)

#39929 - 16/01/07 10:50 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Oldun Offline

OK. Here's a question.

What is the most exotic dish our current tenting readers have cooked in or over a camp fire?

#39930 - 17/01/07 06:06 AM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Arial Offline

Rattlesnake.
Tastes like chicken.

#39931 - 17/01/07 07:47 AM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
boilthebeally Offline

Loc: Manjimup, Western Australia
Blue tongue lizard also tastes like chicken.

Normally tho' I cook up Chili Non Carne, Spag Bol, Curry or Tuna and Couscous.

[This message has been edited by boilthebeally (edited 17 January 2007).]

#39932 - 17/01/07 12:29 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
basil Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Oldun:
OK. Here's a question.

What is the most exotic dish our current tenting readers have cooked in or over a camp fire?

Isle of Lewis wild salmon fillet wrapped in foil and baked on the fire with infusion of ginger, soy, garlic, corriander and sprinkling of sesame oil and shoyu) served with braised hijiki and sesame seeds (prepared at the cottage and wrapped in foil for easy reheating on the fire).
Ate out of the foil with grubby mits, back of sleeves as napkins.

All above infusion ingredients fitted into a waterproof matchbox. Though it was a shame that Stornaway corner shop were out of pak choi that day!

Baz

#39933 - 17/01/07 02:55 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Dr.BingoBongo Offline

Loc: Cumbria
Wow,how romantic.I hope you didn't dine alone.....but no HP sauce???

I once ate still warm sausage rolls,home made by an angel,atop Catbells.

Dr.KBD Bongo

#39934 - 17/01/07 03:08 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Nimrod Offline

Found this in February's Country Walking:
Wayfarer's Chicken Casserole 5. Quote:There's nothing like a hot lunch on the hill to warm you up,and this self heating [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/confused.gif[/img] casserole is ready in just twelve minutes. www.wayfarer.co.uk
Nimrod

#39935 - 17/01/07 05:23 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Oldun Offline

My God, how some people live.

The most exotic thing I have cooked is hedgehog wrapped in clay and cooked in the fire embers.

When cooked you bang the clay on a stone to break it and the skin with prickles come off clean. Tastes a bit like rabbit.

Thought that I would try cooking cat once, but I left the tail outside the clay and it stunk like hell.

#39936 - 17/01/07 08:15 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
K Offline

Loc: Langley, BC, Canada
Eewww....

#39937 - 19/01/07 11:32 AM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Albionman Offline

Thanks for all your feedback.

I'll report back here when the service is launched properly in a couple of months time.

#39938 - 19/01/07 03:43 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Oldun Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nimrod:
Found this in February's Country Walking:
Wayfarer's Chicken Casserole 5. Quote:There's nothing like a hot lunch on the hill to warm you up,and this self heating [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/confused.gif[/img] casserole is ready in just twelve minutes. www.wayfarer.co.uk
Nimrod

Not being too technical I was wondering how the casserole self heats. Is it done by pulling a tab out and two acids mix?

#39939 - 19/01/07 03:51 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Albionman Offline

This is the correct link:
http://www.westlerfoods.com/wayfayrer/index.php

Seems to involve adding water and provoking a magnesium based reaction.

#39940 - 20/01/07 12:46 AM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Nimrod Offline

So we don't have to lug a microwave oven around with us.........
Nimrod

#39941 - 20/01/07 06:35 AM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Lounge Lizard Offline

Looks like a dog's dinner, or worse, in the bowl and why does it have "Limited Edition" on the packet ?

#39942 - 20/01/07 06:17 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
A Mars Bar, a Snickers Bar, a Banana, 2 Chorley Cakes, a Fruit tart or a Chocolate Muffin, 2 X 500ml energy drinks. That lot will keep me gonig at a brisk pace all day eating and drinking on the move for a good 20 to 25 miles over the tops. Its best to always leave a little room in the stomach and never walk on a FULL stomach.
Dave.

[This message has been edited by Slogger (edited 20 January 2007).]

#39943 - 21/01/07 12:53 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Lounge Lizard Offline

I've heard that the best option is to just take the biggest water melon you can find in the greengrocers, and then that's both your food and your drink catered for. Has anyone any experience of doing this ?

#39944 - 21/01/07 02:16 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Nimrod Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard:
Looks like a dog's dinner, or worse, in the bowl and why does it have "Limited Edition" on the packet ?

Agreed,LL - I think I'll stick to my Jerky and nuts etc. I'd just thought I'd mention it,though.
Nimrod

#39945 - 21/01/07 09:59 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
Yes, LL, watermelon is great for the day. But it was in Cambodia many years ago, 40 to be exact. I wanted to take a look around Angkor Wat so rented a bicycle for two days (its a large place). Since there was no water (or food) on site, I bought a large watermelon each day strapped to my bike. Worked great supplemented by water buffalo jerky. I wouldn't want to carry it on my back though.

#39946 - 23/01/07 07:25 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Oldun Offline

Gregg, when we were young we did things that would be considered stupid, or not advisable by todays standards. In my teens I used to go off for days into the countryside without food, water or money. When I was thirsty I drank from a stream or pond: when hungry I would dig up a root, steal an apple, or eat ears of corn: when I got tired I got a lift. I have slept in barns and haystacks in what I stood up in. Got soaked to the skin and freezing cold. Guess what...I am still here and feeling perky.

#39947 - 23/01/07 10:04 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Lounge Lizard Offline

Oldun, and I've munched on a turnip walking across a field, and that was only last October !

#39948 - 24/01/07 08:08 AM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Oldun Offline

I new it was getting bad in the UK. You poor thing.

[This message has been edited by Oldun (edited 24 January 2007).]

#39949 - 24/01/07 09:18 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Lounge Lizard Offline

Yes, Oldun, I don't mind the occasional raw turnip, but I've never resorted to a MuckDonalds.

#39950 - 30/01/07 12:28 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
madame cholet Offline

Loc: wimbledon
Dear Forum, I felt compelled to share with you the wonderful picnic food that I enjoyed today. I am currently in India and asked the hotel to prepare a pic nic for a jaunt to a beach and was sent off with 'missi roti' which are savoury pancakes/rotis of chickpea flour, chillis, spices and corriander, a few pickles and rissoles made with spinach, rice dumplings with spicey coconut sambal and nuts.

It was a most deserving place to savour it.....

Greetings from India!
Hare Om!
Madame Cholet

#39951 - 30/01/07 02:41 PM Re: Packed Lunches - feedback appreciated
Dr.BingoBongo Offline

Loc: Cumbria
Goodness Madame....what an exotic creature you are !
It reminds me of early breakfasts in Gangotri where a feast of paratha, pickles and chai fortifies one for a day of high altitude adventure.
England has a long way to go before ridding itself of unimaginative,prepackaged, mediocre snack food that so many guzzle with indiscernable acceptance....including me.

Bing
Captain Organic

[This message has been edited by Dr.BingoBongo (edited 30 January 2007).]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917