The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#4026 - 22/05/04 04:14 PM Walking the WHW with a tent
Treebeard Offline

I did the WHW late March / early April. Camped all the way. If you need any information on camping and resupplying send a reply. Also I recommend AMS baggage transfer. The weather started horribly and got better as the walk progressed. A good way of getting fit for the Three Peaks Challenge which I did early May.

All the best

#4027 - 23/05/04 09:15 AM Re: Walking the WHW with a tent
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, I start at the end of the month and will be camping all the way so any info you could pass on would be a great help.

Cheers Timber.

#4028 - 23/05/04 03:45 PM Re: Walking the WHW with a tent
Treebeard Offline

I've done the WHW one and half times so have camped all over the route, so from south to north and depending on daily mileage

1.Easter Drumquhassle. Sloping site and facilities a tiny bit basic.
2. Milarrochy Bay ( Bout a mile up the walk from Balmaha ). Camping Club site but open to non-members. Superb site, the best till Fort William.
3.Rowardennan Wild Camping Site. About a mile from hotel and on the route. Lovely location. Public loos about 10 mins walk away
4. Inversnaid. Wild camp by the boat house or camp at the Inversnaid Bunkhouse ( up the road from the hotel ) and use the bunkhouse facilities including bar, food, loos etc.
5. Beinglas Farm. Now with bar/cafe on site. Lovely level site and The Drovers a 10 minute walk. Has campers kitchen and all facs
6. Tyndrum. By-The-Way campsite - on the walk and just starting up - has drying room and campers kitchen.
7. Inveroran - Wild camp 100 yards past the hotel down by the river. Stunning spot. Walkers breakfasts at the hotel.
8. Kinlochleven - Macdonald Hotel. At the lochside and good facilities and booze/food in the bothy bar at the hotel.
9. Glen Nevis - Take the spur path off the WHW and pitch your tent at the Glen Nevis site - Excellent site. Then walk the 2 miles to the end of the WHW. Have a pint in the Nevis Bank Hotel and taxi back. Glen Nevis site has the works!! Including bar for your evening celebration and then next day shin up Ben Nevis.

All the best for the trip.

Treebeard

#4029 - 23/05/04 03:55 PM Re: Walking the WHW with a tent
Treebeard Offline

and more on camping...

Cost on the private sites averages about 4.00 per night per person. All the private sites either have a shop ( basic to fancy ) or are close to shops with the exception of Easter Drumquhassle. If you can by-pass this site and crack onto Balmaha. Its a slog but the scenergy gets better from Balmaha onwards. If you're out of cash, all the pubs/hotels I sampled take plastic

#4030 - 24/05/04 09:10 AM Re: Walking the WHW with a tent
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cheers for info Treebeard,will let you know how I get on.

#4031 - 25/05/04 01:46 AM Re: Walking the WHW with a tent
Treebeard Offline

...more on camping that I forgot. I walked from Inveroran to Kinlochleven in one day - about 18/19 miles - as the weather was perfect. But, if you run out of steam or bad weather slows you down, you can wild camp at the Kingshouse Hotel ( and presumably dry out in the climbers bar ). Theres also a wild camp site at the Bridge of Orchy but I didn't fancy starting with a hill climb just after the Bridge of Orchy so I cracked on to Inveroran. All the locations I've mentioned are on the Harveys WHW map which I recommend. There's also the 2 bothy's. I've not seen the one at Rowchoish but the one at Doune is worth a look.

All the best for the trip!

#4032 - 25/05/04 03:48 PM Re: Walking the WHW with a tent
Anonymous
Unregistered

is it possible to wild camp on the westhighland way?
i have heard people mention it in forums, but finding out where the best bits are

david

#4033 - 26/05/04 01:57 AM Re: Walking the WHW with a tent
Treebeard Offline

Davieboy,

Yes you can wild camp on the WHW but (officially) only at designated areas. There are also 2 bothy's open to all. Having said that, I've seen the odd tent here and there and I suppose if you wild camp late and leave early presumably no-one would notice/mind. However, what is not pleasant is some of the rubbish left behind by wild campers!

From south to north the wild camp sites are:

Garadhban Forest - about 16 miles into the walk

Rowardennan - couple of hundred yards past the Youth Hostel and 27.5 miles into the walk. Very pleasant location by the loch and a brook.

Rowchoish Bothy - Lochside location - 31 miles into the walk

Inversnaid - Lochside location - just north of the hotel and 34.5 miles into the walk

Doune Bothy - cracking location and good bothy on the 38 mile marker

Bridge of Orchy - just south of the hotel and about 59 miles into the walk

Inveroran Hotel - lovely spot by the river just past the hotel - 62 miles into the walk.

Kinghouse Hotel - next to the hotel - 72 miles into the walk

The locations aren't very well spaced out so you would have a tough old walk from say Kingshouse to Fort William

Hope the above helps

#4034 - 27/05/04 10:43 PM Re: Walking the WHW with a tent
Anonymous
Unregistered

Treebeard you have gave a lot of useful info to this site, so many thanks and Merry Christmas.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917