The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36002 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40263 - 08/05/07 03:45 PM God Bless the Queen & Goodby Tony
landryrk Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
We are enjoying Queen Elizabeth II here in the colonies. We love her and the UK. It's especially nice when visiting Rotary Clubs in the UK we have a toast to the Queen.

But I'm going to miss Tony Blair, if only for his flair with the English language. How will the dour Gordon Brown do in Prime Minister's Questions?

C2C September 2004
Cotswolds Way May-June 2006
Dingle Way August-September 2007
Hadrian's Wall September 2009
Essex Way April 2013

#40264 - 08/05/07 06:27 PM Re: God Bless the Queen & Goodby Tony
Nimrod Offline

Loc: Billingham,Cleveland
Quote:
Originally posted by landryrk:
We are enjoying Queen Elizabeth II here in the colonies. We love her and the UK. It's especially nice when visiting Rotary Clubs in the UK we have a toast to the Queen.

But I'm going to miss Tony Blair, if only for his flair with the English language. How will the dour Gordon Brown do in Prime Minister's Questions?

Good riddance to him! [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/mad.gif[/img]
Nimrod

#40265 - 08/05/07 06:48 PM Re: God Bless the Queen & Goodby Tony
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Thats what some said when Maggie Thatcher went too. Both strong leaders, and both made almighty blunders, some say Blair with Iraq, Thatcher with the Poll Tax. I wonder what great cock up Brown has in store for us all.
Dave.

#40266 - 09/05/07 12:04 PM Re: God Bless the Queen & Goodby Tony
Redlesweb Offline

Loc: London & Glasgow
Think Thatcher made more great big blunders than just poll tax. Grrrrr that woman.

Am just sitting with my cup of tea waiting for PM questions now - as much as I disagree with Iraq and many of the policies which have been introduced, I still don't feel they caused the level of societal demise which the Conservatives managed to successfully achieve during their time in power.

#40267 - 09/05/07 05:27 PM Re: God Bless the Queen & Goodby Tony
flying scot Offline

Loc: Kakapoi New Zealand
You are welcome to the whole sorry bunch. We are on the road to Independence. FREEEDOMM............ PS We never ever had a Queen Lizzie the first never mind the second.

[This message has been edited by flying scot (edited 09 May 2007).]

#40268 - 09/05/07 06:36 PM Re: God Bless the Queen & Goodby Tony
plodder Offline

Loc: England
The Scots are the most balanced people there are, with a chip on each shoulder. Why not try to be pro-Scottish instead of anti English? You can have your freedom when the oil runs out. Until then be patient and maintain a humble silence as you have done for the past 300 years. A nickerty-nackerty-noo-noo-noo.

#40269 - 09/05/07 09:23 PM Re: God Bless the Queen & Goodby Tony
Redlesweb Offline

Loc: London & Glasgow
I'm pleased to stay the local authority I currently stay in in Scotland chose not to vote SNP - they had more sense. Independence?! What a load of pish! Sorry - not a very intelligent arguement from my end but I can not be bothered getting into a political daebate about why the SNP are a waste of space. If this is a sign of the way Scottish politics are moving, I am pleased that I'm seeking refuge in the south. ;-p [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

#40270 - 10/05/07 02:44 PM Re: God Bless the Queen & Goodby Tony
Nimrod Offline

Loc: Billingham,Cleveland
All I can say is,his speech to the people of Sedgefield/Trimdon was gut wrenching.
Nimrod

#40271 - 11/05/07 12:29 PM Re: God Bless the Queen & Goodby Tony
Dr.BingoBongo Offline

Loc: Cumbria
Steady now,Nimmers.
Don't want you bringing that vexed dark cloud across Cumbria next week.

(I'm in total agreement with you,by the way.
I watched his speech and this resulted in my rather lovely HD Sony television currently playing host to my right Miendl).

(Semi)Barefoot Doctor BingBong

#40272 - 11/05/07 02:43 PM Re: God Bless the Queen & Goodby Tony
Ash Offline

Loc: Selby
Just for balance I would offer another view [img]http://www.coast2coast.co.uk/ubb/frown.gif[/img]I'm not a labour party member before you ask)

Blair is a formidable politician who secured 3 labour terms with thumping majorities. A major achievement that has not been done before.

His so called 3rd way (social justice with economic stability) is now the only way and is copied by opposition in the UK and envied in Europe (e.g. Sarkozy). He has in other words changed the political landscape.

The health service has had more investment, has more and better paid doctors, nurses. Waiting lists are down considerably. Listening to an interview on Radio 5 last night was like listening to the "what have the romans done for us" sketch from Life of Brian. The NHS is far from perfect (and never will be) but better than in 1997.

Schools are better equiped and results better than 10 years ago. There is a whole army of teaching assts etc now in schools helping to deliver results.

Crime is down (some is up as well) but overall is down. There are more policeman than ever.

He has done more than any other to redistribute wealth and initiatives like surestart, better maternity leave, more liberal attitudes (in the main) and tollerance (civil partnerships etc) are achievements.

On Foreign policy success in Kosovo and Sierra Lieone plus a greater presence for the UK on leading initiatives in Africa and Climate change.

Iraq will be a problem and is uncomfortable and history will eventually judge.

Peace in NI. Enough said.

10 years of economic growth. We've got very used to this and take it for granted. Some of us can remember the recessions of '82, '88 and '92.

I'll stop. Nobody can be in govt and not make mistakes and can't please everyone all the time. On balance he's been a good PM and I think history will judge him as such despite the spin, Iraq, cash for honours and all the other not so good things.

Apologies for the length and I'll now get back in my bunker with my tin hat on.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917