The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40427 - 07/07/07 11:32 PM Live Earth
madame cholet Offline

Loc: wimbledon
I think a good deal of the planet focussing on this very important issue is a good thing. Al Gore is quite right about having to make changes as radical as he suggests. There was a lot about the show I didn't like.

But not to lose sight of the fact that the people, governments, business and industry simply has to shift to more awareness of our actions in day to day life and the impact on our environment.

.... and you think .........

Madame Cholet

#40428 - 08/07/07 11:20 AM Re: Live Earth
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
One of the best things anyone can do is with transport, not making unnecessary journeys, and especially avoiding air travel and reducing road travel. I once heard that there's a factor of about five between the efficiency of air, road, rail and water, such that an airoplane uses about 125 times the fuel for transporting the same weight as a boat, 25 times that for train and five times for road.

#40429 - 08/07/07 12:29 PM Re: Live Earth
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
hi folks.
yes it a sad fact that a large % of people to-day want things that are detrimental to the world,
we all have our toy's that have traveled round the globe to reach us.
few people want an allotment to produce their own food and for them that do there are not plenty to go round,
farmers are getting paid for set aside
this land could be used for allotments
though then farmers and market gardeners would loose an income . nothing like getting fresh fruit and vegatables from your own garden.
by the way has anyone else noticed that there not many house martins , swallows and swifts about this year,
we had a lot of dead house martins left in the nests last year.
regards
ern

#40430 - 08/07/07 09:05 PM Re: Live Earth
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Cher Madame Cholet

The consensus chez Stottie is that no huge change will take place in our habits unless it is forced upon us by governmental decree.

But no elected government would dare impose on our accustomed freedom the severe restraints called for by the more pessimistic climate change scientists.

Only a massive disaster - natural or economic - affecting not only low-lying land populated by poor people but also hitting hard at the rich nations of Europe and North America, could give governments the clout to legislate such restrictions.

Yours pessimistically
Stottie

#40431 - 09/07/07 08:21 PM Re: Live Earth
Nimrod Offline

Loc: Billingham,Cleveland
There is two sides to this argument about global warming:Side A said it is caused by man and Side B says it is a cycle of events which occur every so often. At the moment I am with Side B,but that doesn't mean to say I am all for using a car to drive around the corner and I am a big believer in pollution,far from it.
However,what keeps me on Side B is the hypocracy shown by these people who lecture us on global warming.
There are reports that Al Gore's mansion in Tennessee uses up more electricity than the entire state put together. Our former Prime Minister - whilst still in office - went to Brussels for an EU agreement on global warming. How did he get there - by an environmentally friendly Eurostar train? No - he flew over. Then in the last months of office,he went on a farewell tour of the world,an exercise that was pointless as it only stretched his ego even more. In fact,he was renowned for spending more times in the air than being at home sorting domestic problems,which he unchivalrously has now handed over to his successor.
As for John Prescott - Two Jags - who gave us a bus lane on the M4,and pontificated to us about using public transport,yet had a car to transport himself and his wife a few yards as he didn't want the wind to spoil his wife's hairdo.
Our Leader of the Opposition is seen cycling to the House of Commons in lycra shorts and helmet,but is followed by a car containing all his papers.
He flies all the way to the Arctic to hug a polar bear or something,using an aircraft creating more carbon footprints.
ITN often has an article about global warming,but still sends its science correspondent,Paddy McGinty,all over the world to tell us how man is damaging the environment. Then when something serious happens elsewhere in the world - eg the shootings at the campus in Virginia - instead of relying on the reporter based out there,they send out their main anchorman,Mark Austin to the site. An excellent newsreader,no doubt,but why is it deemed necessary to send him out there.
As for the Live Earth concert,whilst its heartening for such a global event to happen,but are we gullible to believe that all these stars arrived on push bikes or electic cars. I don't think so. Even Saint Bob Geldorf has dismissed the event as non-consequential,and furthermore,a leading environmentalist who is on the A Side,down sized the apocalyptic scenario that doom merchants were painting.
I do agree with Loung Lizard that we should not use our cars when unnecessary,but I am afraid our public transport system does not always match my needs,and at times I have to use the car.
However,this country has got a major environmental problem that no party of any spectrum has promised to tackle and it has taken an American Anglophile to bring the subject to a head. Bill Bryson,Chairman of Campaign to Protect Rural England,has made it his aim to rid the country of litter.
Recycling is a major contributor to get rid of litter,but there is still plenty of thoughtless people who are quite happy to discard whatever on our streets and our beloved countryside. The worse culprits are those outside fast food outlets,which is now generating a booming population of rodents,especially rats,which are a danger to the public and can cause disease.
Dropping litter is in my opinion,high arrogance,(however,it is I believe encouraged in railway stations in London,as they have no bins:ie,nowhere to hide bombs) and children should be educated when they start to walk not to drop litter.
I am a big believer in preserving the environment to keep the air clean,to keep our rivers and waters clean,and to keep our towns,cities and countryside free from litter (other countries do it,so why can't we?).
As for the global issue,there are strong arguments in both camps,but until those who start practising what they preach,I am afraid my scepticism will keep me on Side B.
Nimrod

#40432 - 09/07/07 09:05 PM Re: Live Earth
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Quote:
Originally posted by Nimrod:

I do agree with Loung Lizard that we should not use our cars when unnecessary,but I am afraid our public transport system does not always match my needs,and at times I have to use the car.
Nimrod

The best way of not using a car is, like me, not owning one.
Most days I walk and/or cycle to, from and at work.
Those who say they need a car are usually only making an excuse for the lifestyle they have chosen.
Everyone managed well enough without a car or plane a hundred years ago, and most of the world's population now don't miss means of transport they've never had.

#40433 - 11/07/07 08:29 AM Re: Live Earth
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
What ever the population of Britain does about global warming will have absolutely no effect on the problem, as we no longer have any weight or importance on the world scene, despite how much we kid ourselves.

In order to slow down global warming it will be necessary for the planets population to go back to its way of living before the industrial revolution, which is impossible when we consider the explosion in population growth and the need to feed that population: and I cannot see 60% of the masses agreeing to commit suicide so that a few may live out their lives in an unchanging environment.

What ever we do, the humanity, fauna and flora of this planet will change and adapt over the millennia to the prevailing conditions until the Earth eventually disappears in the fiery nova when our sun dies.

So, any one feel like a good walk while we still have time?

[This message has been edited by Oldun (edited 11 July 2007).]

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917