The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40535 - 07/09/07 05:15 PM Switzerland - Question for 'Oldun'
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
My good wife, daughter and self are contemplating taking a holiday in Switzerland next Easter or early summer, travelling there and back by train, about a week there, using a Swiss Pass, staying somewhere quite central like Interlaken, hopefully en-suite and more comfortable than backpacker hostel type accomodation but too expensive, so is there any advice that you might be kind enough to offer ?

#40537 - 21/11/07 09:30 PM Re: Switzerland - Question for 'Oldun'
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
LL. Interlaken is in the German part of CH and I am not too knowledgeable about the area, although I have obviously been there several times.

It is a good stepping off point for many places, especially with your Swiss rail pass.

Question: what price range were you thinking about for hotels? Do you want to be in the city of Interlaken or in a mountain village? Do you intend to do some walking or stay in one place and nestle? Have you got any places in mind that you would like to visit?

The month of May is usually quite warm and the mountain flowers will start blooming as the snow recedes to the mountain tops.

[This message has been edited by Oldun (edited 23 November 2007).]

#40538 - 22/11/07 08:29 AM Re: Switzerland - Question for 'Oldun'
peter1945 Offline

Loc: Mid North Coast, NSW, Australi...
Lounge Lizard, we stayed in Interlaken, at a backpakers/hostel and it was a huge mansion, the bedroom with ceilings you would need an extension ladder to reach, the bed massive, overlooking a beautiful green park, everything spotless, cook your own meals in the companionable kitchen detached from the main house, friendly, reasonable. If you are interesed I will get Kate to look up her diary and find out all the info.
Cheers,
Peter.

#40539 - 22/11/07 01:22 PM Re: Switzerland - Question for 'Oldun'
Oldun Offline

Lounge Lizard, I have just requested the Swiss Tourist Board to send me brochures about hotels, auberges, walks, things to do and see around Interlaken (in English). They should arrive chez moi next week, so I can post them on to you (if you so wish).

#40540 - 22/11/07 08:09 PM Re: Switzerland - Question for 'Oldun'
Lounge Lizard Offline

Oldun, Many thanks for your comments. In the last couple of months we've booked at the Chalet Swiss Hotel, not far from the railway station and a reasonable price, for late May, when my wife hopes some of the mountain flowers will be in bloom. The main aim is using the trains to visit many parts of Switzerland although we might manage some walking too.

Peter, Again thanks. I've stayed at dozens of youth hostels over the years but my wife prefers somewhere a bit more up market.

#40541 - 23/11/07 03:26 AM Re: Switzerland - Question for 'Oldun'
Oldun Offline

LL. I am just off on a little trip and will be back next week with some suggestions about places to visit 8at a reasonable price.

#40542 - 28/11/07 02:53 PM Re: Switzerland - Question for 'Oldun'
Oldun Offline

Lounge Lizard.

Just returned from a little excursion in the hills with snow shoes: so here as promised are some things to do around Interlaken:

Train things.

Interlaken Ost railway station is jump off point for tour of Lakes Thun and Brienz. (also bus or boat).

Funicular train up to Harder Kulm (1323 m) for view of the two lakes.

Murren Railway up to pine forests and Alpine flower areas of Lauterbrunnen – Winteregg and Murren. Jump off point for Alpine walks.

Mountain train up to Wilderswil and Schynige Platte for views of Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau. There is an Alpine Botanical Garden up there as well.

Trip to Grindelwald for gondola ride up to First to see Lach Bachalpsee and start of hiking areas.

Train up to Kleine Scheidegg where climbers prepare for climbs up the Eiger North Wall. Then on cog railway up to Jungfraujoch (3454 m) restaurant to see France, Germany and Italy. Also maybe get your first effects of altitude sickness. The views are enormous. I find it amazing that there are big crows flying around up there in all those ice fields.

Take 32 minute cableway up to the James Bond revolving restaurant at the top of the Schilthorn where you can see from the Eiger to Mont Blanc, and across the Black Forest.

Take cable car up to restaurant at Pfingstegg ( 1391m) and have summer toboggan ride through alpine meadows.

(When you go up high take sun block and sunglasses even on a dull day, because you will be up where the planes fly.)

If you feel like a long day out: get the train to Montreux, Lausanne, Geneva and see the Alps from a different aspect across Lake Leman (Lake Geneva) and vine yards. This is the French area of Switzerland and the best (‘cause I live here).

Take the lake steamer from Montreux to Evian and Ouchy (Lausanne). Restaurants on the lake boats. The steamers take some hours to get from one end of the lake to the other.

You can also take ferries around the Interlaken lakes, but after Lac Leman I find other lakes boring and the Swiss Germans too serious.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Let me know if you need more info.

#40543 - 28/11/07 05:49 PM Re: Switzerland - Question for 'Oldun'
Lounge Lizard Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Oldun:
Lounge Lizard.

Just returned from a little excursion in the hills with snow shoes: so here as promised are some things to do around Interlaken:

Train things.

Interlaken Ost railway station is jump off point for tour of Lakes Thun and Brienz. (also bus or boat).

Murren Railway up to pine forests and Alpine flower areas of Lauterbrunnen – Winteregg and Murren. Jump off point for Alpine walks.

Mountain train up to Wilderswil and Schynige Platte for views of Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau. There is an Alpine Botanical Garden up there as well.

Trip to Grindelwald for gondola ride up to First to see Lach Bachalpsee and start of hiking areas.

Train up to Kleine Scheidegg where climbers prepare for climbs up the Eiger North Wall. Then on cog railway up to Jungfraujoch (3454 m) restaurant to see France, Germany and Italy. Also maybe get your first effects of altitude sickness. The views are enormous. I find it amazing that there are big crows flying around up there in all those ice fields.

Take 32 minute cableway up to the James Bond revolving restaurant at the top of the Schilthorn where you can see from the Eiger to Mont Blanc, and across the Black Forest.

Take cable car up to restaurant at Pfingstegg ( 1391m) and have summer toboggan ride through alpine meadows.

(When you go up high take sun block and sunglasses even on a dull day, because you will be up where the planes fly.)

If you feel like a long day out: get the train to Montreux, Lausanne, Geneva and see the Alps from a different aspect across Lake Leman (Lake Geneva) and vine yards. This is the French area of Switzerland and the best (‘cause I live here).

Take the lake steamer from Montreux to Evian and Ouchy (Lausanne). Restaurants on the lake boats. The steamers take some hours to get from one end of the lake to the other.

You can also take ferries around the Interlaken lakes, but after Lac Leman I find other lakes boring and the Swiss Germans too serious.

Oldun, Many thanks for such useful advice that we shall enjoy making good use of.

#40544 - 28/11/07 07:46 PM Re: Switzerland - Question for 'Oldun'
Dr.BingoBongo Offline

Loc: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally posted by Oldun:
Lounge Lizard.

Train things.

...and when you've done all that,extend your stay and do it ALL over again.

Mmmmm........Blüemlisalphorn.

Dr.Yodeledelongo

#40545 - 09/01/08 09:19 PM Re: Switzerland - Question for 'Oldun'
Heatha Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire, England
LL, I stayed 5 minutes from Interlaken in August and did all the touristy things in the walking areas. If you want information feel free to contact me. H.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917