The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40546 - 12/01/08 08:51 PM Re: Switzerland - Question for 'Oldun'
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Quote:
Originally posted by Heatha:
LL, I stayed 5 minutes from Interlaken in August and did all the touristy things in the walking areas. If you want information feel free to contact me. H.

Heatha. Many thanks. I shall try to contact you a bit nearer the departure date. I don't remember a lot of Interlaken from when I stayed there 49 years ago !

#40548 - 11/03/08 05:36 PM Re: Switzerland - Question for 'Oldun'
Lounge Lizard Offline

May

#40551 - 01/05/08 05:08 PM Re: Switzerland - Question for 'Oldun'
Lounge Lizard Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by sea shore sam:

You packed and ready for your trip to the Swiss Alps with the happy family for May??

Nearly.

#40552 - 02/05/08 02:01 PM Re: Switzerland - Question for 'Oldun'
Robin Offline

Loc: living in Bavaria, Germany
Hi LL. My wife and I are starting our walk from Konstanz to Geneve next saturday (10/05). We will be passing through Interlaken on around 18/05 staying in Gwat. So if you see a tierd looking couple with rucksacks - give us a wave. Have a good holiday youselves.
Robin

#40553 - 02/05/08 03:21 PM Re: Switzerland - Question for 'Oldun'
Lounge Lizard Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Robin:
Hi LL. My wife and I are starting our walk from Konstanz to Geneve next saturday (10/05). We will be passing through Interlaken on around 18/05 staying in Gwat. So if you see a tierd looking couple with rucksacks - give us a wave. Have a good holiday youselves.
Robin

Robin. That's before we're there. Have a good holiday.

#40554 - 02/05/08 07:54 PM Re: Switzerland - Question for 'Oldun'
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
LL. Spring is late this year and we are just getting into the warmer weather, bringing out the wild flowers on the upper pastures (21 C this Saturday 2nd May). It's a really beautiful time to be out walking; birds singing, butterflies, apple blossom, fields a mass of wild flowers and just a hint of snow left on the mountain tops. Picture postcard views.

I hope that you have a great time here.

#40555 - 02/05/08 08:08 PM Re: Switzerland - Question for 'Oldun'
Oldun Offline

LL. With only 2 CHF to the pound be careful where you eat. Don't be scared to go into the various out of town Auberge or the bistros in the villages. The food is all good and a lot less than the rip off restaurants in the cities. Look for the small cafés where the locals eat. Don't flash out tips for your meals or drinks. It is only necessary to give 2 CHF on top of the billed meal price, or just round off with anything from 20 centimes upwards. In Switzerland the gratuity is build into the meal price to ensure that the serving staff have a living wage. Out in the country side if you tip more than 20 centimes they will think you are an idiot with your money, or a tourist. Most places speak English, especially in the German areas. So don't pass loud comments in English thinking that you will not be understood.

#40556 - 13/05/08 03:46 PM Re: Switzerland - Question for 'Oldun'
Lounge Lizard Offline

Oldun. Many thanks for that advice.
Will it be necessary to take much warm clothing for the last week of May ?

#40557 - 13/05/08 09:16 PM Re: Switzerland - Question for 'Oldun'
Oldun Offline

LL.

If I were in your shoes I would dress according to the way one would dress if going to the Lake District during May. Warm comfortable clothing for the mornings and evenings that you can easily shed and carry during the day; also light rain gear (plastic walking mac ?)

Although the temperatures will not go much above 23C or below 12C, the ultra violet will be high, so carry a Tilly hat around with you and sun glasses. I don’t have to tell you how badly one can get burnt by the ultra violet. So although you may feel wonderfully warm, try not to leave tender white skin exposed to direct sunlight for more than 20 minutes with out protection.

The daily papers (like “The Matin”) will print a sun/skin exposure chart each day in the weather section.

LL, you know what mountain weather on the UK coast can be like….expect everything to change at a moments notice. But there should not be anything too dramatic. If you go off into the mountains for a walk take everything with you..having first checked the weather section of the local paper. They are normally reasonable accurate.

Last week my friend and I were walking across deep snow at an altitude of 5000 ft, dressed in shorts and Tee shirts. The ambient temperature was about 6 C but we were sweating like pigs. Coming down to the lower plateau levels where the temperature was around 23C, we had to put on jackets because we felt chilly...an effect of the ultra violet.

#40558 - 14/05/08 04:07 PM Re: Switzerland - Question for 'Oldun'
Lounge Lizard Offline

Oldun. Again, many thanks for this latest advice.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917