The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#405652 - 09/07/13 02:31 PM Bob Graham Round attempt.
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
No not me! My good mountaineering, walking and running pal Malc from our Chorley running club, asked me if I'd be his support team manager for his Bob Graham Round attempt. Of course i agreed to help him.
For those who are not familiar with this challenge, for those who wish to join the Bob Graham Club, it is required that they run/walk the 72 mile circular route, starting and finishing at the Moot Hall in Keswick Cumbria. They also have to have accompanying support runners to verify that they have touched the summit cairn/trig point of the 42 highest Peaks of Lakeland, including the four 3,000ers.
This involves 27,000ft of ascent and the same again in descent. On top of this they have to do it inside of 24 hours.
Malc had been assisting others for the last few weeks as part of his training for his attempt.
My job was to organise his support runners and the four checkpoint changeovers of runners.
Fortunately we had massive assistance from the highly experienced team of runners and support crew of the Achille Rati Club. These guys know all the best off path lines from A to B, the best routes up to summits and perhaps more importantly, how to pace all five section legs.
getting them all to the start of their leg, collecting them at where they finish, picking up guys who arrived just in time for their leg etc, had me covering 173 miles in my car, after I had arrived at Keswick and before I left to return home.
After the midnight start on Friday 5th July, Malc arrived with his support at Threlkend some 3.5 hours later and 10 minutes up on schedule. Unfortunately one of his support, Chris, had dropped off the pace and had Malcs emergency bag. Malc only had a five minute rest here and so had to go before the bag arrived. This was bad news as the bag contained his survival gear in case of emergency. Malc set off, I legged it to the base of Blencathras Halls Fell, met Chris with the bag, grabbed it and legged it back down and handed it to Dominic, doing the next leg who had waited. he set off like a whippet with me in hot pursuit as he didn't know the way initially. I eventually put him on the right line for Clough Head. by this time I was Knacked.
This was I'm glad to say the only CP problem we had.
John another club member and myself later drove round to Wasdale and ascended Scafell, before descending to the notorious Broad Stand, which we climbed and laid ropes and a Pot Holing ladder to assist the runners climb there, and onward to Scafell summit.
After they had passed through we had to re-climb onto the summit before descending steeply back down to Wasdale. We then drove round to Honister Pass to await their arrival there.
John and myself with two other support crew were running the last lag from Honister to Keswick via Newtown, in the newlands Valley.
Malc in quite some pain at this time needed a bit of gentle beasting to try and keep up the pace. For the first time he was losing scheduled time, and by Robinson he was 10 minutes down on his 22hr 30min plan.
I really didn't want him to get home later than 22hr 40min, so although knowing he was struggling some and walking a lot, I urged him constantly to at least trot and try to run. he responded well, didn't talk hardly at all, but just really concentrated. Moot Hall in sight, everyone gathered to welcome him in, even pub goers cheering, finished his quest in 22hrs 40 mins after setting off from the same spot. A job very well done.
We thenm all retreated to the Achille Rati hut in Langdale for celebrations and bed for the night.
A gloriously happy and successful weekend.
In all Malcs support comprised of 14 from Chorley and 16 from Achille Rati, one of the best supported attempts of all time.
Here is a short video I took, from the start in Keswick at midnight, Malc and team arriving at Threlkeld, arriving at Dunmail raise, having a rest, setting off up Steel fell, then after they had passed through, me and John at the top of Broad Stand with some climbers, us climbing back out of Broad Stand and overlooking Wasdale:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2WTtWXUVo4
Dave.

#405656 - 13/07/13 01:18 PM Re: Bob Graham Round attempt. [Re: Slogger]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Good report.Have you done the BG yourself?

#405657 - 14/07/13 05:23 PM Re: Bob Graham Round attempt. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

No, Tony I haven't done it, I have walked the Graham Bob from Keswick to Honister, Great gable, Pillar and Yewbarrow, then dropped down to Wasdale Head and walked back via Seathwaite to Keswick.
During my prime running years there wasn't a lot of interest in the Bob Graham Round, however a resurgence has occurred since and is going strong again.
There were at least 2 other attempts going on at the same time as Malcs.
He now says that I have to have a another go at the Joss Naylor. I failed last time some 15 years ago, but now being over 65 years I get 24 hours instead of the 12 hours I had first time.
We will have to see.
Dave.

#405661 - 16/07/13 02:46 PM Re: Bob Graham Round attempt. [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Got to hand it to 'em... though I shall hereafter remain a spectator!!!
Then we always say that...

#405673 - 19/07/13 03:55 PM Re: Bob Graham Round attempt. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

I had a good run last night with our club, over the nearby Winter Hill Fells and bumped into Malc. He's just started back after his BG and going very well. He mentioned that I didn't half give a beasting on that last leg. I never said anything on the day, just got slightly ahead onto a pace that I felt wouldn't allow him to lose any more time, more or less to drag him along. It worked, he kept exactly on the pre determined pace.
I am now committed to attempt the Joss Naylor Lakeland Challenge, probably next year as it will take much Lake District training beforehand.
http://www.gofar.eclipse.co.uk/jossnaylorlc.html
Dave.

#405674 - 19/07/13 10:54 PM Re: Bob Graham Round attempt. [Re: Slogger]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
During my prime running years there wasn't a lot of interest in the Bob Graham Round

Same here.Nobody in my club was really interested in fell running,especially the long distance variety,as road running was all the rage back in the mid eighties.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917