The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#405727 - 16/08/13 10:53 AM Nice slow crossing - Wainwright bagging
john57r Offline

My last LDW of the year. Getting the Sherpa van from Richmond to St Bees on Sunday morning then off to Ennerdale Bridge for tea.
A nice steady 11 days with a 12th walking down to Scarborough and the bus home. Forecast looks good; bits of showers + nice and warm.
My drinking friends decided they wanted a friendly contest to do the Wainwrights before we get too old, so am just working out how many I can get in en-route without killing my self. days in the Lakes; reckon I can get 14 or so along the Red Pike route; the two above Honister; the Fairfield route to Patterdale and the High Raise alternative to Shap.
Anyway this is now becoming an annual event for me but despite this am really looking forward to it.
God bless the weather this year!

john

#405728 - 16/08/13 11:18 PM Re: Nice slow crossing - Wainwright bagging [Re: john57r]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Have a good crossing John. Looks set for another heat wave next week.
Dave.

#405883 - 07/09/13 12:07 AM Re: Nice slow crossing - Wainwright bagging [Re: Slogger]
john57r Offline

Now that the completely justified acclaim for Dave's achievement has died down a bit; and given his "Les and Heidi" moment at the Blue Bell, Ingleby Cross; I thought I would jot down a few notes on my C2C. It was quite a surreal moment for me too and for Shaun the ex Para (and his mate)who mentioned it repeatedly to me when we were drinking again at the Lion Inn and at the Bay Hotel the evening after!
I did it in 10 days and so maybe had the time for a few slightly more relaxed experiences than Dave. They did confirm my feeling that, despite this not been the longest or hardest of walks; it has a certain stardust quality about it that is hard to pin down despite some sections being quite tedious and some of the "glamour walkers", whose obsession with the nature of tonight's dinner booking or the tiny blister that requires them to drive in the Sherpa Van for the rest of the trip and claim a crossing, can irk a little.
This was my 3rd time across in 3 years. Despite it not having the magic of the first time it was in many ways more enjoyable (with a few flashes of boredom); not having to read a map helps; especially when solo and coming up from Hartsop and over to Haweswater in the foggy, windy deluge I have had on every trip. The walk can still be a challenge even though it is very fashionable and I reckon the courier companies make a bit light of this in their advertising material. I still managed to get lost when trying to follow my landladies "shortcut" from Nateby Road to the Fell gate on the way up to Nine Standards ( breaking my rule of trusting only my own navigation in the process). Like it or not Richmond to Ingleby is a long way with a big pack on a very hot day regardless of how often you do it.
On which point, I always thought the Sherpa bag carrying option was cheating but next time out I will use it just to see how much easier it is without a pack; especially as the knees and Achilles are beginning to complain a bit these days.
My plan was to do some Wainwright bagging en route for a bit of variety; so after being dropped off at St Bees at lunchtime on Sunday 18th Aug by the Sherpa Minibus from Richmond and having an easy stroll to Ennerdale Bridge, I did the Red Pike route over to Honister the following day.
In fact the track to Black Sail was closed for forestry works anyway. This climb was much harder and longer than I thought and the switchbacks over to Honister a lot bigger. I managed to hurt my knee on the scree coming down from High Crag when the wind caught my pack and it ached for the rest of the walk. Truth was that I didnt really have the wind to do either the Calf Crag or the Fairield alternatives the following day en-route to GreenBank Farm; the standard route was quite enough; to my slight disappointment.
Day 4 to Shap was too foggy and wet to go over High Raise to Measand; much as I wanted to. Maybe this was too cautious, but as a solo walker in nearly zero visibility over a new terrain, it didn't seem too wise.
First bumped into Shaun and co at Scarside Farm near Orton when I saw this little bloke making tea and told him put the kettle on for me too. He did, and it was only then that I saw he looked a bit handy. I was a little more polite at our subsequent meetings!
I split Kirkby Stephen to Richmond into two days, stopping at Gunnerside; where the pub has sadly closed. My dismay was premature as I had the best evening of my trip in the impromptu bar set up by the villagers in the room above the village tea shop whilst waiting for the Friday night mobile fish and chip van to arrive from Reeth. Is was an hour and a half late; the queue was about fifty long and I had fish and chips twice and an extra fish to soak up the six pints of cider.
Suitably dehydrated, I paid the price next day on my supposed easy day to Richmond. Wearing my waterproofs after it had stopped raining and not drinking enough didn't help I guess but the falling down dizzy spells were quite worrying.
Got a bit homesick at Blakey Ridge so I headed to RHB in one go the next day, going across country from Sleights Moor to save about five miles. This was fun although six foot high bracken has its own challenges and I was lucky it had been a dry summer.
I like walking alone but being a bit of a coward I found company over the Blue Route to Ravenseat and chatted to a Chinese lad with a huge pack to relieve the boredom on the Rosedale railway route.
Low spots: Not too many actually;
1) Breaking my walking stick on Haystacks while scrambling up. Waving it about wildly and behaving like Basil Fawlty at the very moment two young ladies emerged from the rocks six feet away from me.
2) Having a pee behind a boulder in Grizedale on the Glenrhydding path only to see an elderly lady walk round the other side to catch the whole gory scene ( I thought there was no-one for miles). Good thing there was no police box within five miles or so..
3) The said dizzy spells
4) Getting lost again trying to find Shap Abbey. I get lost every time I try and find Shap Abbey. I didn't want to see Shap Abbey. I hate Shap Abbey..
The high spots:
1)Sitting with a cup of tea at Gillercombe with Rachel watching four Red Squirrels playing on the lawn.
2)Getting drunk with the locals at Gunnerside whilst eating mountains of fish and chips
3)Listening to Dark Side of the Moon with the lights out and the window open to the Moors at midnight at the Lion Inn.
4)Watching a group of very clean, colourful ramblers; headed by a purposeful looking young man with a large map, headed ESE across a large field near littlebeck, and gradually veering south and speeding up somewhat as the field of cows and calves, who clearly were not used to hikers on this cross country section, decided to take a closer look at these interlopers. I lost sight of them as they all burst into a run; bovines and humans alike. This left the field clear for yours truly to stroll regally in the required ESE direction.
5) More fish and chips with my granddaughter outside the Bay Hotel before my lift home to bed.
On Smardale Fell, I said to myself that this was it as far as the C2C was concerned for a couple of years at least. A week after finishing I am not so sure. There are lots of walks I have not done yet and I am not too keen on the fashion walkers but there is something about the C2C. Did the Offas Dyke Path in June and it was great but I don't get the urge to revisit in in the same way.
The hunt is on for a couple of LDWs for next year; or I fancy I will be heading towards Whitehaven once again.

John

#405884 - 07/09/13 06:46 AM Re: Nice slow crossing - Wainwright bagging [Re: john57r]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Splendid report. Keep going, because that way you'll be able to keep going.

#405889 - 07/09/13 01:08 PM Re: Nice slow crossing - Wainwright bagging [Re: john57r]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Great report John as expected. Getting drunk, fish & chips!!?? during an LDP!
I'll have to try it sometime, sounds good.
Dave.

#405890 - 07/09/13 01:46 PM Re: Nice slow crossing - Wainwright bagging [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Online   confused

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Read your account 1st thing and thoroughly enjoyed it John. Great stuff! 6 pints of cider lol... I only had 4 pints of my own on Sat night and regretted it lol. I even regretted the 2 halves of lager at the Laurel Inn at RHBay before my last crossing... what soft drink would accompany a chinese take away..?

Fish and chips Dave? - one of my staples if I can get it... can't begin to imagine how John made it to Richmond though lol - makes Guinness look like pop! These days it's strictly orange juice and soda for me on long ones - I've learned my lesson.
Well done John mate - nice one!

#405893 - 07/09/13 04:59 PM Re: Nice slow crossing - Wainwright bagging [Re: lightweightmick]
john57r Offline

Trouble was lads that I had been drinking quite a lot of cider every night until Richmond. Fun at the time..but I was a bit more circumspect from there on in. Alf Tupper ( the tough of the track) used to live on Fish and chips..so did Wainwright lol.

#405894 - 07/09/13 10:28 PM Re: Nice slow crossing - Wainwright bagging [Re: john57r]
lightweightmick Online   confused

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
John, you'd be very welcome to try some of my cider but I'm a bit wary of sending it via carrier as it's all bottle conditioned - I could do with some of the bag in a box containers:

http://www.baginboxonline.co.uk/products.html

which makes it much safer to transport - thing is the tool for fitting the tap to the bags is 45 in itself, so even with minimum order I'm looking at around 75 and as I can only give my cider away I've no way of recouping the funds! Is that a 'Catch 22' situation lol?
I'm desperately trying to give it away this year 'cos I haven't got time to bottle it all this year!

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917