The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#405729 - 17/08/13 03:57 PM Welsh walk
Geo Offline

Loc: Oamaru, New Zealand
Just finished the Wales Coastal Path I'd previously been enquiring about here. 870 miles, 45 days. Quite an experience with some good scenery and some good folk met along the way. The daily mileage I'd set myself made it a bit of a grind - 10mpd would have been far better than 20mpd, but then the clock beats you and you run out of time!
First three weeks were a bit brutal with the high temperatures that you had (high 20's, 30's) and dehydrating was touching the serious side at times. It was during the period that those three soldiers died from dehydration in the Brecon Beacons.
Highlights would have been, Anglesey, Lleyn Peninsula and the Pembrokeshire coast. The latter being a test of stamina as it ducked down into and up out of every cove along the way.
Great scenery there, although I even liked the industrial south (Port Talbot, Margam etc) not only for its complete difference but in no small way because of the folk I came into contact with. Was in a cafe where a chap rang up his mate who came in by car to describe to me the way to get to a river crossing that didn't entail the huge inland detour that was temporarily in place. Helpful beyond the call of duty! smile
Overall the hike was an experience I'm glad to have had - though I won't be doing it again!
George.

#405730 - 17/08/13 07:21 PM Re: Welsh walk [Re: Geo]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Terrific George, you sure like the long routes. Yeah it was hot for a time, cooled down now though. You must be one of the first if not THE first to do that route in one go. Did you camp much of it?
Dave.

#405733 - 18/08/13 10:08 PM Re: Welsh walk [Re: Slogger]
Geo Offline

Hi Dave,
Two B&B's, one hostel. Used the tent for the rest.
'Wild camping' wasn't much of a problem and could always hide away somewhere even in some of the more populated spots.
Food was a bit of a problem at times though - either passing through a location too early or too late! Tests the humour a bit when you can't refuel the transport! Though I carried a bit of unappetising back-up base food for such emergencies.
Not the first to do it - a few have had a crack at it already, some of them completing the circuit of Wales by adding Offa's Dyke to close the circle. Though at approaching 69 I just may be the oldest...so far. crazy
Cheers, Geo.

#405735 - 19/08/13 08:04 PM Re: Welsh walk [Re: Geo]
scaredovheights Offline

Wow Gerorge well done, at 68!!! I find you an inspiration to keep fit as I get older.

#405737 - 19/08/13 09:05 PM Re: Welsh walk [Re: scaredovheights]
Slogger Offline

Originally Posted By: scaredovheights
Wow Gerorge well done, at 68!!! I find you an inspiration to keep fit as I get older.

George truly is an inspiration to all budding long distance walkers.
You really should read his account of his amazing walk of the entire 'Pacific Crest Trail', in his book 'Dancing With Marmots'. I read and also got the guidebook to the route from Cicerone Press, with maps, so i could follow him on the maps as I read. Fabulous!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBJBtyQyrdk
http://www.amazon.co.uk/books/dp/1411656180
http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/588/title/the-pacific-crest-trail
Dave.

#405738 - 19/08/13 09:06 PM Re: Welsh walk [Re: Geo]
Slogger Offline

'Dances' With Marmots.

#405745 - 21/08/13 09:09 PM Re: Welsh walk [Re: Geo]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
That's some walk.John Merrill walked the entire Welsh coastline in 1978 during his British Coastal Walk.There have been others but not that many.

#405774 - 25/08/13 08:29 AM Re: Welsh walk [Re: Geo]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
Hi George,
20 mile a day on that coastline for 45 days at 68 years of age .
what an achievment.
well done.

#405794 - 25/08/13 04:52 PM Re: Welsh walk [Re: tim smith]
Geo Offline

Originally Posted By: tim smith
Hi George,
20 mile a day on that coastline for 45 days at 68 years of age .
what an achievment.
well done.

Thanks Ern,
Was just time restraints that dictated the 20mpd - more than I enjoy doing, 17mpd more my comfortable average and 10mpd or 12mpd would have been really enjoyable and given more time to investigate the surroundings if time had permitted.
Cheers, George

#405872 - 05/09/13 03:50 AM Re: Welsh walk [Re: Geo]
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
Hi George

Sounds like a great walk through Wales I've done parts of the Wales coast and Glyndwr's Way and enjoyed myself there. I admire the way you do the long walks from beginning to end like when you walked the Pacific Crest Trail. Until now, I didn't realize you were on of us "old guys". Kudos to you!

I'm halfway through Dances With Marmots and find it a very entertaining and informative read. I was going to finish it before writing you but I ran across an interesting blog you might not have seen. It's the talk of the Pacific Coast Trail this year, a young woman who shattered a record on the trail by backpacking from Mexico to Canada without support in 61 days. That's nearly
44 miles per day, an extraordinary feat.

Here is the writeup: http://nyti.ms/198pZbW

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917