The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2887
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1685
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3451 Topics
35961 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#406072 - 28/10/13 08:13 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
I think you are right about the weather,Dave.Most long range forecasts are predicting that January will be wet and mild,well at least "mild" for the time of the year.The trends seem to be going that way with the first half of November being wet and windy and not a sign of a ground frost.

Injuries? I think that is just another word for loosing their bottle.Why don't they just admit its not for them and do something else? The actual requirement for this race should be to do the PW in a ten days in the summer and see how well you cope with the conditions.I got hypothermia in July on the PW and its what puts me off the Spine.If its wet and windy in January a lot of people are going to be retiring with hypothermia.

#406076 - 29/10/13 12:47 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
You are right Tony. Ive had hypothermia over 3,000ft up a Munro in Glen Affric. It involved a 9 mile walk in to the base of the mountain from the Clunie Inn, in Glen Shiel.
It was cold very wet and windy, and my chest was like ice. It hit me suddenly and freaked my two pals out. Fortunately I managed to rewarm beneath my survival shelter, after putting dry layers on.
If it turns out to be prolonged heavy rain and windy, I think many lose heart and pack in.
Dave.

#406077 - 29/10/13 07:10 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Les + Heidi Offline

Loc: hertfordshire
Hi Dave
What new gear have you been getting ready for the race, anything interesting ?
Les

#406078 - 30/10/13 08:13 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Les + Heidi]
Slogger Offline

Originally Posted By: Les + Heidi
Hi Dave
What new gear have you been getting ready for the race, anything interesting ?
Les

Well lets see:-

1. Inov8 Race Pace 32, plus Racepack 2 (Chest).
2. New pole for my Photon Elite tent (a section broke after my C2C, on the original.)
3. 2 Camel Back Podium Chill insulated water bottles.
4. Fizzan Walking Poles )Lost and abandoned my first pair)
5. Salomon GTX X Ultra shoes.
Plus a pair of Brooks Road and Newton All Terrain - for
training.
6. Montane Krypton single layer soft shell jacket.
7. Rab single layer sofshell smock
8. Rab VR Guide single layer jacket.
9. Rab Volt Pertex Shield waterproof jacket.
10.Ron Hill Pursuit fleece top.
11.Windstopper Buff, plus two ordinary Buffs.
12.Windstopper gloves.
13.Ron Hill Thermal Winter running tights.
14.Spare Compass.
15.Garmin Forerunner GPS watch etc (70.. off E Bay)
16.Osprey 60 Litre holdall.
17.SOL super lightweight survival bag.
18.Sinner Snow Goggles.
Plus a few other Bits & Bobs.
Blimey it looks a lot when listed like that, but obviously will be used for much more than just the Spine.
I am also going to try and video MY race, so have just purchased a GoPro Hero3+ Video camera. The action cameras you see people wearing on their helmets/heads etc on TV.
The total there must be approaching 1,000 if not more, that's it I'm skint now!
Dave.

#406079 - 31/10/13 12:20 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

Actually it all comes to nearer 1500.., but it's alright when you are minted like me!!!???
No, not really, in fact, absolutely not.
Sold a few items on E bay recently. Putting my Cannon EOS 600D on there soon to pay for the video camera, as Ive hardly ever used it - too bulky for my needs.
However, the rest of my splashing out, plus a holiday in Ireland was paid for out of a surprise refund of PPI cheque, from HFC Bank. Out of the blue, they had already paid me out a couple of years ago, but had re-assessed things, and decided I was entitled to this extra.
I could just do with one of those every month, then I'd be able to retire and walk the world!
Dave.

#406080 - 31/10/13 08:28 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Les + Heidi Offline

Loc: hertfordshire
Some interesting items there Dave. How does the Innovate pack compare to the smaller Osprey you used last time ? Whats you feel for the Pertex Rab use, will it last a while with a pack rubbing away ?
Les

#406081 - 31/10/13 08:35 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Are you taking the Buffalo shirt,Dave,or have you found some of the new kit to be superior?

#406082 - 31/10/13 10:36 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

Les,
The Innov8 pack was recommended by a Spiner who finished. Ive tried it and it's defo easier and more comfortable to run/move fast with than the Osprey as it has no frame. I also tried the OMM but found it uncomfortable with all the Spine gear in. The Inov8 front pouch is great too with three seperate zipper compartments and a large deep open one. As for the Rab Pertex Shield and abrasion resistance, time will tell, but probably couldn't take too much sack wearing. I will take it as one of my back ups to my Goretex jacket.
Tony,
Oh, yes I'm taking my Buffalo shirt. I got the lighter Rab and Montane jackets, in case it's too warm for the Buffalo. They are very similar and with the same lining as the lighter weight Buffalo top, but are styled better. That's what lets Buffalo down, they don't appeal to many people because of their style, they need updating, very functional but look like the old Annoraks.
The thing is with the Buffalo shirt and i dare say the other tops Ive got, they wicks extremely well, and when running some with a pack on you soon get very warm. Starting off with a Goretex jacket too, eventually you have stop to remove it and the outer of the Buffalo was soaking wet. Not a problem though as it dried off very quickly and so did the Gortex turned inside out and slung over the back of my sack. However if it was raining, you would just have to stay wet on the inside too.
Maybe in those wet conditions is where Marino Wool layers would come in, as it is absorbent, but apparently still insulating, or so they say. However having tried Marino, on several occasions, with a thinner base layer and a medium weight top layer I don't find it warm at all. The only time I felt a bit off a chill during the last Spine was when I put the thinner Marino base layer beneath the Buffalo shirt. The Buffalo on it's own was warmer.
Dave.

#406083 - 02/11/13 01:55 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
If I can add my twopenneth - I've been using that RAB Pertex Quantum top for years and it is now my preferred top - windproof but only water resistant. I found I get too warm moving quickly in anything else and only don outer (now the OR Helium) when absolutely necessary. Sweating uses vital energy and must be avoided at all cost, esp. in January in exposed conditions - Better to be wet from outside than wet from inside IMAO - a balance needs to be found between keeping warm and staying dry.
As for rubbing - there shouldn't be any movement of sac - and I haven't had any problems with the smaller Inov-8 sac which, well packed, fits like a glove - but then I'm only carrying around 10-12 lbs - a maximum for me when combining running and walking.
The only wear on the Quantum top (smock) is that the zip went which I've replaced and the little velcro tab on the small net pocket is a bit weak now, but as it's a slippy material there's no wear as such, though it does get a bit wiffy.

#406087 - 03/11/13 02:16 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

I went for a local run yesterday in appalling wet and windy weather, around a manmade Fell and country park.
I was testing out the Rab Guide jacket. It was raining when i set off so added the Rab Volt jacket.
The impression I got was that the Guide jacket was almost if not completely, as warm, worn next to the skin, as the Buffalo shirt. Sure with the weather and 10.5 Kg on my back, moving at an average 7.1 kph inc stops and a little walking, I could feel I was wet beneath. However I remained insulated and warm even when stopping for a while at the top of the very exposed little Fell, I never felt any chilling.
After getting back home, everything in the wash. Rab Guide and Volt, just on a minimum rinse program. On taking them out of the washer I was surprised to find that parts of the inner of the Volt jacket were completely wetted out and dark, as in soaking compared to the majority of it. I hung it up to dry naturally, but after 4 hours, showed no sign of any drying in those areas.
I put it in the tumble dryer on a cool setting for 10 minutes and that dried it completely.
I have a Go-Lite Pertex Shield jacket, but it looks and feels very different to the Rab. The Go-Lite doesn't wet out like the Rab and the inside feels as smooth as the outside, which is like the usual Pertex feel. The Rab however is lighter with a softer, almost cotton like feel and the inside is similar and obviously absorbent to a degree.
I also have an old three layer Goretex mountain jacket and that works on the principal of the inner most layer being absorbent to collect the body moisture and transport it to the outer to evaporate.
I can only think that this type of Pertex Shield is working on a similar principle.
I agree Mick, it's about trying to get the balance right, or as many runners say, start cold and warm up on the move. Of course the problem with that is that on a cold day, whenever you stop, or slow down, you very quickly feel chilled.
Dave.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917