The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2891
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35982 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#405931 - 15/09/13 05:04 PM Spine 2014.
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
This event in January is fast approaching.
My main intentions/hopes are:-
1. To be much fitter at the start than last time.
2. To reach Middleton in Teesdale (Halfway approx 134 miles) by
the 75 hour mark, as the cut off is 84 hours upon exiting.
3. To get through without major foot problems like last time.
4. To finish.

Ive recently added to my winter upper clothing layers. Although as last time, I can always rely on my Buffalo top in very cold conditions, I intend to being prepared for milder conditions too.
Ive also purchased a light rucksack.
I can't really see how I can the weight down more, without winging it, I know some do, however in my mind that's plain irresponsible.
Ive got several choices of waterproof jackets from very light to heavy weight, same with over-trousers.
I would prefer a fully enclosed Bivvy Bag to my Alpkit Hunka with its drawcord opening, but the ones Ive checked out are quite a bit heavier.
I also want to wear shoes this time to enable me to do more running especially during days 1 & 2. Of course the drawback is, more chance of foot problems as most contenders found out last time. It's all about getting the right, well fitting Shoes/Socks/Foot Management together. Maybe having a bigger size too in the drop bag for later on, allowing for foot expansion.
It's too late to wish one had chosen this or done that, once we are underway, so trying to get it right beforehand.
Oh, and one last thing - although I don't know what I can do about it, other than take tablets (that's also not allowed) - is to get some sleep!
Dave.

#405932 - 15/09/13 06:30 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
I know that you must have read about waterproof Sealskinz socks but have you tried them. I found them excellent on my recent Offa's Dyke walk when my boots started to fall apart.
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: Land's End to John o'Groats in stages 2018.

#405934 - 15/09/13 09:47 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Oh, and one last thing - although I don't know what I can do about it, other than take tablets (that's also not allowed) - is to get some sleep!

Try autogenics.

#405938 - 16/09/13 07:19 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Harland]
Slogger Online   content

Originally Posted By: Harland
I know that you must have read about waterproof Sealskinz socks but have you tried them. I found them excellent on my recent Offa's Dyke walk when my boots started to fall apart.

Ive got three pairs. Learnt the hard way that their sizing is on the small side. I'm not sure whether I prefer them or Goretex socks. With Sealskins you have to accept the socks as they are, however with Goretex you can wear your preferred socks beneath.
Dave.

#406046 - 18/10/13 05:28 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Online   content

Tested out my Sealskin socks as to their durability in keeping water out. Turned them inside out and filled with water. One pair only used once were fine no leaks. Another pair worn about five times leaked like a sieve, water sprinkling out everywhere along the sole and heel.
Then tried my Goretex socks which I have had about 15 years and worn many, many times. Just three minute squirts of water from the toe, heel and along the seam.
After drying them all out and having them the right way, as in, how we wear them, I did a second test. This time lightly filling them with tissue paper and immersing them in water for a few minutes. The leaky Sealskins, let water in and the tissue was very wet. The Goretex didn't let any water in and the tissue was dry.
By this test clearly the Goretex are more durable, which is what I thought.
I will now purchase some more Goretex socks rather than Seaskins. Their advantage also is, that you can choose whichever type of socks you like to wear beneath.
Dave.

#406047 - 18/10/13 11:46 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Online   confused

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
I've only ever had the sealskinz, but do think the membrane must be very thin. Thing is, neither breathe well enough to wear for longer periods IMO, which means frequent changes throughout the day.

#406049 - 19/10/13 09:51 AM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: lightweightmick]
Harland Online   content

Originally Posted By: lightweightmick
I've only ever had the sealskinz, but do think the membrane must be very thin. Thing is, neither breathe well enough to wear for longer periods IMO, which means frequent changes throughout the day.

Don't tell my wife I should change socks frequently throughout the day! When my boots started to let in water walking Offa's Dyke this year I must have worn them for 3/4 days. The outside were wet throughout but the insides were dry and I don't think that they smelled too bad but I didn't make many friends over the last few days. I must try the goretex socks mentioned, only being an occasional walker I didn't know about them as socks aren't the first thing I chat about when I meet someone!
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: Land's End to John o'Groats in stages 2018.

#406050 - 19/10/13 01:15 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Les + Heidi Offline

Loc: hertfordshire
I loved my Saloman Quest boots, so comfy, but both pairs I've had ended up leaking and my last Pennine Way was horrible with soaking wet feet. Maybe these socks are the answer when going on long hikes with boots that may not stay watertight ?
(I ened up over the Cheviots witrh Tesco carrier bags on my feet inside the boots !!)

#406051 - 19/10/13 02:03 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Les + Heidi]
Harland Online   content

I tried that "once" but my feet kept slipping in the boots and then the bags burst. With the holes that they have to put in the nags nowadays I guess that it would be even worse. I think that I used Sainsburys bags - perhaps Tesco make them better!

#406052 - 19/10/13 11:40 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Harland]

lol, re the holes in carrier nags.
My local offy still does bags without holes so I always seek a few out as they are ideal and it's this type that I refer to in the 1st coast to coast blog at the bunkhouse in Bromton-on-Swale. Again you can't wear 'em for too long though...

#406053 - 20/10/13 08:56 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Online   content

Maybe the problem with Seaskinz leaking is down to them being so stretchy. The Goretex do not stretch apart from their calf fabric band.
Dave.

#406054 - 20/10/13 10:40 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]

I'd rather see a goretex or any breathable membrane come to that in the form of a liner sock - so you could put a thin inner sock, then liner, then thin or thick outer as desired.
The waterproof liner could then be checked easily by filling with water - any leaks easily spotted.
I say this 'cos only 1 of sealskinz socks leaks...

#406055 - 21/10/13 04:37 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Online   content

I think with any of them, it is not a matter of trying to keep your feet totally dry, that may be expecting too much, but just keeping them as dry as possible.
Dave.

#406056 - 21/10/13 10:08 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]

yes, of course, and though the material is breathable it is not to the same extent as normal, so getting wet from inside is better than getting wet from outside. Either way though, feet are still slowly getting wet... this is why I thing they are only suitable for short stretches of maybe a few hrs at a time. This then increases the faff factor - another shoe stop...
Wet feet aren't a problem in summer but for you on the Spine with snow to contend with it could become a serious concern of course

#406057 - 22/10/13 12:09 AM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
tonyk Offline

I used to own a pair of goretex socks.Eventually I went back to using freezer bags as they performed better.In torrential rain its almost impossible to keep your feet dry,especially in places like the Pennines where surface water is a problem.Freezer bags and duct tape might be a better option than sealskin socks.

#406058 - 22/10/13 08:56 AM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Online   content

Lots of wet cold feet last time, and because people were not looking after them until they reached CPs, many suffered Trench Foot and bad blisters.
However only Spine racers would persevere in such conditions wearing shoes.
Dave.

#406059 - 22/10/13 01:01 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]

Trenchfoot - great way to spend the new year lol
I reckon wearing the Sealskinz for too long from Ravenseat to CR Fell didn't help blisters on 2010 attempt. I kept reminding myself I should stop and change back into ordinary, but wanted to keep going - (that shows lack of discipline...)
In very cold conditions it's much more important to try and keep feet dry.
I remember a pic posted - the leader, as I recall, had massive ice balls on his shoes...

#406060 - 22/10/13 05:21 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Online   content

Yes they must have weighed some too. I can't understand why he let them get to that state. Mind you I think he was in such a state himself on the Cheviots, that he was solely focused on getting to the finish.
Dave.

#406065 - 27/10/13 02:19 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
tonyk Offline

Long range forecast looks quite good.Torrential freezing rain on the Monday and Tuesday and daytime temperatures of 1c.Nightime temperatures of around -1.Final three days forecast dry in the day and torrential freezing rain at night.Sounds like decent weather for the Spine,well at least when its compared to past races!

#406071 - 28/10/13 07:44 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Online   content

I have a feeling that the weather during the Spine will be milder in January compared to last time.
As far as I remember we usually have a milder time after two consecutive bad winters, and a bad summer after two consecutive good summers, although both don't happen very often.
Something tells me the Spine could be wet, very wet. Which as far as I'm concerned is worse than freezing.
Kitted out for anything though, costing a fortune, but at least should last me some years.
Apparently some of the superstars that entered have been frightened off giving injury as an excuse, even though it's still almost 3 months away.
Dave.

#406072 - 28/10/13 08:13 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
tonyk Offline

I think you are right about the weather,Dave.Most long range forecasts are predicting that January will be wet and mild,well at least "mild" for the time of the year.The trends seem to be going that way with the first half of November being wet and windy and not a sign of a ground frost.

Injuries? I think that is just another word for loosing their bottle.Why don't they just admit its not for them and do something else? The actual requirement for this race should be to do the PW in a ten days in the summer and see how well you cope with the conditions.I got hypothermia in July on the PW and its what puts me off the Spine.If its wet and windy in January a lot of people are going to be retiring with hypothermia.

#406076 - 29/10/13 12:47 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Online   content

You are right Tony. Ive had hypothermia over 3,000ft up a Munro in Glen Affric. It involved a 9 mile walk in to the base of the mountain from the Clunie Inn, in Glen Shiel.
It was cold very wet and windy, and my chest was like ice. It hit me suddenly and freaked my two pals out. Fortunately I managed to rewarm beneath my survival shelter, after putting dry layers on.
If it turns out to be prolonged heavy rain and windy, I think many lose heart and pack in.
Dave.

#406077 - 29/10/13 07:10 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Les + Heidi Offline

Hi Dave
What new gear have you been getting ready for the race, anything interesting ?
Les

#406078 - 30/10/13 08:13 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Les + Heidi]
Slogger Online   content

Originally Posted By: Les + Heidi
Hi Dave
What new gear have you been getting ready for the race, anything interesting ?
Les

Well lets see:-

1. Inov8 Race Pace 32, plus Racepack 2 (Chest).
2. New pole for my Photon Elite tent (a section broke after my C2C, on the original.)
3. 2 Camel Back Podium Chill insulated water bottles.
4. Fizzan Walking Poles )Lost and abandoned my first pair)
5. Salomon GTX X Ultra shoes.
Plus a pair of Brooks Road and Newton All Terrain - for
training.
6. Montane Krypton single layer soft shell jacket.
7. Rab single layer sofshell smock
8. Rab VR Guide single layer jacket.
9. Rab Volt Pertex Shield waterproof jacket.
10.Ron Hill Pursuit fleece top.
11.Windstopper Buff, plus two ordinary Buffs.
12.Windstopper gloves.
13.Ron Hill Thermal Winter running tights.
14.Spare Compass.
15.Garmin Forerunner GPS watch etc (70.. off E Bay)
16.Osprey 60 Litre holdall.
17.SOL super lightweight survival bag.
18.Sinner Snow Goggles.
Plus a few other Bits & Bobs.
Blimey it looks a lot when listed like that, but obviously will be used for much more than just the Spine.
I am also going to try and video MY race, so have just purchased a GoPro Hero3+ Video camera. The action cameras you see people wearing on their helmets/heads etc on TV.
The total there must be approaching 1,000 if not more, that's it I'm skint now!
Dave.

#406079 - 31/10/13 12:20 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Online   content

Actually it all comes to nearer 1500.., but it's alright when you are minted like me!!!???
No, not really, in fact, absolutely not.
Sold a few items on E bay recently. Putting my Cannon EOS 600D on there soon to pay for the video camera, as Ive hardly ever used it - too bulky for my needs.
However, the rest of my splashing out, plus a holiday in Ireland was paid for out of a surprise refund of PPI cheque, from HFC Bank. Out of the blue, they had already paid me out a couple of years ago, but had re-assessed things, and decided I was entitled to this extra.
I could just do with one of those every month, then I'd be able to retire and walk the world!
Dave.

#406080 - 31/10/13 08:28 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Les + Heidi Offline

Some interesting items there Dave. How does the Innovate pack compare to the smaller Osprey you used last time ? Whats you feel for the Pertex Rab use, will it last a while with a pack rubbing away ?
Les

#406081 - 31/10/13 08:35 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
tonyk Offline

Are you taking the Buffalo shirt,Dave,or have you found some of the new kit to be superior?

#406082 - 31/10/13 10:36 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Online   content

Les,
The Innov8 pack was recommended by a Spiner who finished. Ive tried it and it's defo easier and more comfortable to run/move fast with than the Osprey as it has no frame. I also tried the OMM but found it uncomfortable with all the Spine gear in. The Inov8 front pouch is great too with three seperate zipper compartments and a large deep open one. As for the Rab Pertex Shield and abrasion resistance, time will tell, but probably couldn't take too much sack wearing. I will take it as one of my back ups to my Goretex jacket.
Tony,
Oh, yes I'm taking my Buffalo shirt. I got the lighter Rab and Montane jackets, in case it's too warm for the Buffalo. They are very similar and with the same lining as the lighter weight Buffalo top, but are styled better. That's what lets Buffalo down, they don't appeal to many people because of their style, they need updating, very functional but look like the old Annoraks.
The thing is with the Buffalo shirt and i dare say the other tops Ive got, they wicks extremely well, and when running some with a pack on you soon get very warm. Starting off with a Goretex jacket too, eventually you have stop to remove it and the outer of the Buffalo was soaking wet. Not a problem though as it dried off very quickly and so did the Gortex turned inside out and slung over the back of my sack. However if it was raining, you would just have to stay wet on the inside too.
Maybe in those wet conditions is where Marino Wool layers would come in, as it is absorbent, but apparently still insulating, or so they say. However having tried Marino, on several occasions, with a thinner base layer and a medium weight top layer I don't find it warm at all. The only time I felt a bit off a chill during the last Spine was when I put the thinner Marino base layer beneath the Buffalo shirt. The Buffalo on it's own was warmer.
Dave.

#406083 - 02/11/13 01:55 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]

If I can add my twopenneth - I've been using that RAB Pertex Quantum top for years and it is now my preferred top - windproof but only water resistant. I found I get too warm moving quickly in anything else and only don outer (now the OR Helium) when absolutely necessary. Sweating uses vital energy and must be avoided at all cost, esp. in January in exposed conditions - Better to be wet from outside than wet from inside IMAO - a balance needs to be found between keeping warm and staying dry.
As for rubbing - there shouldn't be any movement of sac - and I haven't had any problems with the smaller Inov-8 sac which, well packed, fits like a glove - but then I'm only carrying around 10-12 lbs - a maximum for me when combining running and walking.
The only wear on the Quantum top (smock) is that the zip went which I've replaced and the little velcro tab on the small net pocket is a bit weak now, but as it's a slippy material there's no wear as such, though it does get a bit wiffy.

#406087 - 03/11/13 02:16 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Online   content

I went for a local run yesterday in appalling wet and windy weather, around a manmade Fell and country park.
I was testing out the Rab Guide jacket. It was raining when i set off so added the Rab Volt jacket.
The impression I got was that the Guide jacket was almost if not completely, as warm, worn next to the skin, as the Buffalo shirt. Sure with the weather and 10.5 Kg on my back, moving at an average 7.1 kph inc stops and a little walking, I could feel I was wet beneath. However I remained insulated and warm even when stopping for a while at the top of the very exposed little Fell, I never felt any chilling.
After getting back home, everything in the wash. Rab Guide and Volt, just on a minimum rinse program. On taking them out of the washer I was surprised to find that parts of the inner of the Volt jacket were completely wetted out and dark, as in soaking compared to the majority of it. I hung it up to dry naturally, but after 4 hours, showed no sign of any drying in those areas.
I put it in the tumble dryer on a cool setting for 10 minutes and that dried it completely.
I have a Go-Lite Pertex Shield jacket, but it looks and feels very different to the Rab. The Go-Lite doesn't wet out like the Rab and the inside feels as smooth as the outside, which is like the usual Pertex feel. The Rab however is lighter with a softer, almost cotton like feel and the inside is similar and obviously absorbent to a degree.
I also have an old three layer Goretex mountain jacket and that works on the principal of the inner most layer being absorbent to collect the body moisture and transport it to the outer to evaporate.
I can only think that this type of Pertex Shield is working on a similar principle.
I agree Mick, it's about trying to get the balance right, or as many runners say, start cold and warm up on the move. Of course the problem with that is that on a cold day, whenever you stop, or slow down, you very quickly feel chilled.
Dave.

#406089 - 03/11/13 10:25 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]

The big problem comes if forced to stop - ie. in worst case scenario through injury and this is where back-up becomes necessary. As you point out chilling needs to be countered rapidly. Runners, or fast moving walkers, are more at risk. For me it's bivvy bag, something dry to wear and a heat pad. I've only needed to do this once but the inevitable shivereing abated within about twenty minutes.
Are heat pads a part of SR essential kit Dave?

#406095 - 04/11/13 04:18 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Online   content

No they are not.
Compulsory kit is:-

Backpack/Rucksack
Compass & Maps.
GPS.
Whistle.
Knife (Multi tool etc).
Head Torch with spare batteries.
Waterprodd jacket with hood.
Waterproof Trousers.
Hat, Gloves and spare socks (1 pair).
Base layer.
Appropriate clothing for Mountain/Fell running.
Medical Kit:-
Blister packs, pain relief,rehydration sachets,Savlon etc.
1 x Triangular bandage, 2x Crepe rolled bandages, Safety pins.
Survival bag.
Sleeping bag (Extreme -10 dag rated).
Roll Mat
Tent/Bivi Bag
Stove with 1 pan to produce hot water.
Jetboil,Mini Trangia etc
Fuel with spare in case of emergency.
Waterproof matches/and or lighter.
Spork or similar
Water carrying system
2 days rations.
Eye protection must be worn if there is snow cover on the ground.
Other optional clothing and equipment.
Dave.

#406100 - 05/11/13 10:23 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Les + Heidi Offline

Interesting reading guys, thanks.

I think there are many different Pertex materials; The Volt jacket seems to use the same ''Pertex shield +'' material that the Rab 190g waterproof trousers I had (and destroyed) a couple of years ago. It look great and worked well in terms of keeps dry and not sweating up and may be better in a jacket as it was the metal lace guides on my boots that did for the material.

I like the idea of a chest pouch, the OMM one with a map case built in looks good, may try one out.

And one day I will treat myself to a Buffalo shirt, they do sound the business

#406101 - 06/11/13 01:04 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Online   content

Les,
Ive recently turned my Goretex Paclite waterproof trousers inside out and discovered that the Goretex membrane has disintegrated at the inner ankle area. Around a 3 inche square has peeled away on each leg.
Must have happened during the Spine as that was the last time I wore them. I may send them away for repair, they weren't cheap.
I used the OMM chest pouch last time and found it really useful, they have updated it since. Don't know about the newer one but the original could have done with some compartment separation, as everything got all mixed up together.
Dave.

#406102 - 06/11/13 05:26 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Les + Heidi Offline

Hi Dave
That's exactly where mine went but the damage eventually went right through and up one leg. I may try to get mine repaired too for the same reason !
I'll have a look at the OMM stuf at some point, may try one of the pouches linked to my Osprey pack for next summers LDPs
Les

#406110 - 09/11/13 10:47 AM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]

450 entry fee and they insist on a knife..?
Maybe the guy at the front should have used his knife to chip away those ice balls Dave...
'Tear and shake' to obtain some instant warmth would be a better choice imao
but, you pays your money...

#406111 - 09/11/13 02:26 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Online   content

Carrying a small knife when walking or camping is legal, mine is part of a small multi tool.
450 for a 7 day event is good vfm, they charge as much and more for a one day Ironman.
Ive got some re-usable hand warmers, but they are a bit heavy for this event, with everything else. The disposable ones may be a good idea.
Everyone is weight conscious though and not wanting to carry anything more than absolutely necessary. Someone even baulked at the suggestion that they may add a hi viz vest to the list, as locating aid, in the event of an emergency.
It's the training weekend at the moment. They will be out there now on the Mary Townley Loop of the Pennine Bridleway, as I type. I hope they are not getting the awful weather we are having. Wet, windy and heavy hail. Mind, I am suspecting that this is the sort of weather we could be facing January.
Dave.

#406112 - 09/11/13 02:32 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Online   content

Ive been looking for one man storm shelter, that I could just throw over myself and sit it out, if hit by a real heavy shower or hail, until it's passed. The smallest seems to be two-man, which I have already. Vango used to do one but looks like they are discontinued.
I did make one myself, years ago, out of an old survival bag, for during my long Non Stoppers, but never needed to use it.
Dave.

#406113 - 09/11/13 03:02 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Harland Online   content

Originally Posted By: Slogger
Carrying a small knife when walking or camping is legal, mine is part of a small multi tool.

I asked a policeman a year or so ago just to check. So long as it is a folding pocket penknife up to 3 inhes and not one that can be locked in an open position then it is OK. I guess that there is a proviso that you are not trying to stab someone with it!

#406114 - 10/11/13 10:08 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Harland]

It's not a matter of legality, merely usefulness... especially where every gram counts.
I wouldn't regard the quick stops involved here as camping either.
Why would it be compulsory to carry a knife..? I certainly wouldn't pack a knife or 'multi tool' in January or any other month.
Did you find the knife useful on this year's event Dave?
Some form of 'hi vis' inclusion yes, esp. as road sections are used the dark...

#406115 - 10/11/13 10:42 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]

Originally Posted By: Slogger

450 for a 7 day event is good vfm, they charge as much and more for a one day Ironman.

Dave, I'm thankful I don't know who 'they' are - in some circles these are referred to as 'Yuppie' events...

#406116 - 11/11/13 02:08 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Online   content

Ha,ha, the guys and ladies I know that take part in Ironmans, certainly aint 'Yuppie's', but FIT they are!
Dave.

#406121 - 13/11/13 09:49 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]

Yuppie events Dave... not events for Yuppies

#406122 - 14/11/13 04:49 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Online   content

Oh, right, whatever that means. Perhaps it is referring to the early development of the 'Triathlon'.
Around 30 odd years ago, when the event, in this country, anyway was in its infancy, compared to today. A young very fit and fast guy at our running club, was also an excellent triathlete. He was good enough for an international vest.
His big problem and what prevented that from happening, (according to him) was that he didn't live in the South of England.
How things have changed!
Dave.

#406135 - 28/11/13 04:47 PM Re: Spine 2014. [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Online   content

Struggling with my heel pain for arpund 6 months now. Seen Physio and Podiatrist but getting nowhere, so booked in at GP's next week.
Getting very close to Spine now. tried just about everything but it's becoming worse all the time. Various supportive footbeds, inc one prescription one which if anything made things worst. Strapping, Sorbothane, different shoes which have helped some.
Did a 24 miler last weekend and could hardly bear weight on my foot first thing next morning, until it eased. Basically ti's there most of the time, nothing acute, no sharp pain just an irritating bruise like feel, right in the underneath centre of my heel. Worse after activity rather than during, but apprehensive about how it will be day after day during the Spine. I'm just hoping Ive not got a heel spur, even so I know these things take time to recover.
I am fairly certain this was caused by purchasing a cheap pair of walking shoes for my work. I never spend a lot on works shoes as I get through so many, but I took a chance on these thinking they should be ok, then ignored the increasing discomfort for about a month, until I couldn't ignore it any longer. However not realising it was down to the shoes, I placed various footbeds inside the same shoes, so got nowhere. Changed to more supportive shoes and things are better but not resolved.
No chance to rest up as it's the busy time of year of me.
Frustrating it is!
Dave.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917