The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#405940 - 18/09/13 10:10 AM The Wicklow Way
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
Hi, I could have asked this in Scaredovheights thread but wasn't sure if anyone would have picked up on it.

Having completed over half of Offas Dyke (finishing next year) I am so chuffed to say that I am back to doing LDPs. My sights are set on the Cleveland Way and the Wicklow Way.

Please could someone tell me what the route finding was like as an earlier poster I think said it was poor?

Thanks.

#405942 - 18/09/13 04:15 PM Re: The Wicklow Way [Re: Janice & Rottie]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Hi Guys, no need to respond to this as it seems Southern Ireland isn't dog friendly when it comes to accommodation. So won't be going. Cleveland Way it is then.

#405944 - 18/09/13 04:59 PM Re: The Wicklow Way [Re: Janice & Rottie]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Good to hear you are up and about again, enjoy!
Dave.

#405948 - 19/09/13 11:12 AM Re: The Wicklow Way [Re: Janice & Rottie]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Thanks Dave.

I am even treating myself to a new backpack because when I dug my old one out it was falling apart from the inside !!!

#405949 - 19/09/13 03:32 PM Re: The Wicklow Way [Re: Janice & Rottie]
cosmic cowboy Offline

Hi Janice.

My wife and I walked the Wicklow Way in June and had no problem finding our way using the Rucksack Reader map and instructions. I cannot comment on dog friendly b&b's but we found the b&b's that we had the pleasure of staying at were really friendly and welcoming and would recommend all of them.

Another multi day walk we did last week was the Causeway coastal path, yet another walk with some stunning views. We're now planning our next multi day walk in the Scilly Isles.

Cosmic.

#405958 - 20/09/13 01:05 PM Re: The Wicklow Way [Re: Janice & Rottie]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Hi Cosmic, thank you for your response.

I will not walk without my dog so it saddens me that I can not do this walk. I have rang two different tourist info places and they both say the same thing. I don't think the Irish have the same feeling towards dogs as we do. Obviously there will be places but they will be few and far between.

Is that the Irish Causeway you are talking about? Sounds really good.

#405972 - 23/09/13 01:33 PM Re: The Wicklow Way [Re: Janice & Rottie]
cosmic cowboy Offline

Hello again Janice.

Yes the Causeway Coastal Way is a very easy walk as far as long distance paths go.. It runs from PortStuart to Ballycastle about 51km, but what the walk lacks in distance it is made up with some great walking. We based ourselves at Craig Cottage (Bushmills) a superb B&B who's owner has a dog but I don't know if they accept other dogs in the B&B. One titbit of information is that you may wish to miss the section from Balintoy to Ballycastle as this is mostly road walking which might prove difficult with a dog. I you want to turn it into a full weeks walking there are many other walks in the area.

Apart from the B&B, the highlights for us was the Rope bridge at Balintoy, the Giants Causeway and the walk from Balintoy Harbour to the Causeway.

Cosmic

#405980 - 24/09/13 01:59 PM Re: The Wicklow Way [Re: Janice & Rottie]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Thanks Cosmic. It is worth a thought.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917