The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36018 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#405962 - 20/09/13 10:24 PM Re: C2C. Fast Light & Direct. [Re: MIKE M]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Hi Mike,
a good running shop will do a 'Gait Analysis' for you.
Is this one near to you?

http://www.leicesterrunningshop.co.uk/index.php

I've been lucky... I did use some Spenco arch supports years ago but they gave me terrible shin splints. Mind you I didn't know what I was doing back then... and probably still don't!
cheers
mick

#405964 - 21/09/13 10:26 PM Re: C2C. Fast Light & Direct. [Re: Slogger]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
This shop might be a bit nearer.

http://www.running-fox.co.uk/

I have used them for the last twenty years and can recommend them.

#405966 - 22/09/13 08:30 AM Re: C2C. Fast Light & Direct. [Re: Slogger]
MIKE M Offline

Many thanks for all the advice chaps will do as advised and get a gait check.
OK tony ,I hvn't seen Rosie in abt 10 yrs. I was one of her first customers when she opened. Knew her from her Charnwood days.
Mike M

#405967 - 22/09/13 10:35 AM Re: C2C. Fast Light & Direct. [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Originally Posted By: lightweightmick
I suppose it's whatever you find works best Dave... from your earlier blogs and posts you usually go out like a light when your head hits. Is it a temporary situation

Ive not been a through sleeper for years, except for the odd occasion. These days if I nod off more or less straight away, I wake up after an hour and struggle to go back to sleep. Other times I toss and turn unable to get comfortable before finally nodding off at 3 or 4 in the morning, then wake up knacked.
I think I would have nodded off easily during my last trip even though I didn't feel that tired on the first night. The thing that prevented that was my very tender heels and toes merely touching the confines of sleeping bag fabric. Also the thin OMM single sleep mat was not comfy.
I have used the same mat before, but not noticed any discomfort because as previously said, Ive gone out like a light.
My plan for the next Spine, is to reach CP1 at Hebden Bridge, get fed and leave after an hour, take a short break at Gargrave and/or Malham, then press on to CP2 at Hawes, and hopefully be able to get some sleep there.
Dave.

#405968 - 22/09/13 12:37 PM Re: C2C. Fast Light & Direct. [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
That was the problem I had at Grisedale Tarn on my 2010 attempt. It didn't help standing around talking to the other guy camping there... my feet throbbed with every heartbeat due to the blood pooling in my lower legs and reading your description reminds me how sensitive my toes were just touching the sleeping bag...
Now I do the upside down routine. I didn't do it at the Blue Bell on last trip though (forgot) - I do wonder if it might have helped prevent that problem...
- no pun intended but just the thought of your plans sends a shudder down my spine!

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917