The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36018 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 15 of 16 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#58054 - 03/09/10 11:33 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Hi Dave,
you're a better man than me if you can get off each morning for 4am...
food:
1) should be okay for bar meal at Traveller's Rest, Mill Bridge. I ate here on 1st attempt around 7pm
2) you'll be too early for Patterdale PO for sure. Chippy open in Shap till 8pm as I remember - and there's always the option of a detour to Orton?
3) again you'll be too early through Kirkby Stephen with just 10m from SBT
4) again you'll miss out on a good food stop at Richmond and you'll be relying heavily on IngX as, like me, you'll miss out on that valuable oasis Lord Stones
5) should be okay for food in Grosmont I would say

last thing you want is to hanging about waiting for somewhere to open and it's a downer to come away from a planned food stop empty-handed...

wild camps:
1) A popular spot with only so many flat areas, but there are chances over the top into Grisedale - near the stream - I saw someone down there on my way up Early August. Chances are though you'll be kicking around on headtorch which won't help?
2) should be okay somewhere around there - cetainly opportunities on Ravonstonedale Moor, depending on chosen route.
3) think there's a bunkhse at East Applegarth, though there may be somewhere under the scar there - according to Footprint there's camping at Marrick (may have shower? - may be worth chasing up?)
4) you'll have passed Green Bank and Lord Stones - toilets open for campers after cafe shuts (5pm now) from here to RHB just about okay for me from Sneaton Moor (8m to go) so could be a stretch on bad legs Dave... and those last 3 climbs of the day will come harsh on sore legs - esp. as you want to stay with orig. route

- can't be of more help as the schedule is very different from what I'm used to... If you could slide it all back a couple of hours so places were open as you came through (ie Patterdale PO, KS and Richmond and maybe make for a shorter last day, say last camp at the Lion? (25m left to go) ...or just carry some extra? (I only had one packet of emergency Smash that had to do 2 meals in the end)

#58056 - 04/09/10 07:09 AM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: lightweightmick]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Once you pass Haggs Gate the moor becomes very exposed until Glaisdale with opportunities for sheltered wild camping very restricted. (Exposed camping is, of course, possible, but, if the conditions are like last Sunday, they are a non starter).

You can find sheltered sites just south of Garfitts Nick (553034) or along the old Jet Miners track which runs due north of Hasty Bank along the southern edge of the trees.

Depending on time, you could also clear Urra (Round Hill) and drop down into the upper reaches of Farndale. Plenty of scope for sheltered camping along the infant river's banks and the water is (or has been to me) safe to drink.

Clay Bank itself (as has Sheepwash/Scarth Nick/ Wheeldale Gill) has been plagued by flycampers from the northern towns causing devastation to the area and there are frequent police/park patrols on weekend evenings moving people on (it is also the grouse shooting season, and, much of the land is owned by the Duchy of Lancaster)

#58058 - 04/09/10 09:17 AM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: slowcoach]
MarkF Offline

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Why don't you cache some food along the route. A few ziplock bags in an old paint tin to keep the wildlife out and bury them or hide them up a drain etc. Come back later and collect the rubbish.

#58066 - 05/09/10 05:24 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: MarkF]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Originally Posted By: MarkF
Why don't you cache some food along the route. A few ziplock bags in an old paint tin to keep the wildlife out and bury them or hide them up a drain etc. Come back later and collect the rubbish.

I have actually stashed some supplies near Shap, however I will have to see what state they are in, as they have been there since May, whilst walking the Westmorland way.
Dave.

#58067 - 05/09/10 05:36 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: MarkF]
Slogger Offline

Thanks Mick and SC, I have printed off your replies, and will take them with me.
I will see how it goes with early starts and getting fed. Allowing for 16 hours daily walking, 2 hours for stops and 6 hours sleep, with our ever shortening daylight hours, I want to have the tent up, between 9pm and 10pm.
I would rather set off early (4am) and look forward the sunrise than set off later and have to walk into the nightfall.
Dave.

#58113 - 08/09/10 09:48 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

...well I think Dave will most certainly have acheived that objective tonight! With a proper tent (thinking he's opted for the light Terra Nova) he'll be better prepared for windy conditions than I was on my attempt spending a very chilly night with very sore feet - getting little sleep as the wind took away warmth from under the tarp and most of it out of the sleeping bag!
Go Dave!

#406084 - 02/11/13 03:07 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: lightweightmick]
lightweightmick Offline

Going through 2010 videos, found this - on the move, comparing Buxton mineral water to fine wine lol

you tube

#406086 - 03/11/13 01:35 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Offline

Ha,ha, personaly I prefer Chocolate Eclaires to Jelly Babies. I was trying to make out where you were, but can't remember that small section. Where was that new footbridge?
Dave.

#406088 - 03/11/13 09:28 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

Footbridge is at Ellers Dave - video from around SE090995 to gate stile in wall at SE086992 - going E-W just after Hollins Fm enroute to Marrick.
This year's route choice stayed on Hard Stiles of course on a more direct line to Reeth.

#406094 - 04/11/13 04:01 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Offline

Ah, yeah now I remember. Don't mention Hollins farm though, that's where I spent a good 2 hours wandering around in the dark trying to find the route, on my first crossing W-E. Doing that same section E-W in bright sunshine, I couldn't understand why I'd had so much trouble, but youve only got to miss that first stile, as I did.
Dave.

Page 15 of 16 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917