The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36018 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#50829 - 07/09/09 08:52 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: LizzieS.]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England

Just wondering - but what on earth is a "Panda"?

Don't get confused, Liz - it's a van, not a pack animal!

#50831 - 07/09/09 10:08 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: Stottie]
robshilluk Offline

Loc: Yorkshire UK

Parking at Cod Beck is not recommended! As the area is frequently visited by undesirables, I have in the past called in at the Youth Hostel and asked if I can leave the car in their car park never been refused (I am a member though)
A couple of years ago two vehicles where set on fire in the early hours of a Sunday morning at Cod Beck, their have also been incidents of car tyres being damaged.
Rob,
Assistant Ranger N.Y.M.N.P.A.

#50841 - 08/09/09 10:03 AM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: LizzieS.]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Sorry Lizzie - small Fiat car...
[img]http://www.btinternet.com/~m.l.weller/mods/panda_clx.jpg[/img]
Here at Whitby Abbey next morning after returning from Osmotherley.

#50842 - 08/09/09 10:08 AM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: lightweightmick]
lightweightmick Offline

#50843 - 08/09/09 10:28 AM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: lightweightmick]
lightweightmick Offline

Rob, thanks for the confirmation on the Cod Beck situation.
I didn't want to park on the street in Osmotherly (nor return to a ticket or wheel clamp!) as spots are usually taken by locals, but there were no other cars parked near when I returned and it seemed the safer option.
My next section will be to Surrender Bridge beyond Reeth which is also an isolated spot - so I may decide on making Reeth itself that stage's destination... though I may yet get a driver for that leg and find a site for the van nearer to Richmond... but then to get an early start it would be better maybe to head out from the site at Osmotherley. The logistics offer several options...
At least I now know that I can at least phsyically get to Beacon Hill... a big confidence booster, as on two previous 5 day attempts I've not made it past Lord Stones!
many thanks for your input,
Do you happen to have any contact details for Dales N.Park Rangers btw re. the situation at Surrender Bridge?
cheers
mick

#50863 - 09/09/09 07:21 AM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: lightweightmick]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
The basic rule is ..... do not park for long periods in any remote spot. Numerous groups are making a healthy living by breaking into unattended vehicles .... believe it or not, over 1000 a day (yes 1000 a day). No ranger service is going to advise parking anywhere other than an attended car park or within a settlement... imagine the fallout "but a ranger told me to park at Surrender Bridge and when I got back my wheels had gone".
There are at least 2 options to avoid this. One is to break the section into 2. Park at Reeth and bus to Gunnerside. Then park at Gunnerside and bus to Keld. Option 2 is to park at Reeth and bus to Keld. Look at the Richmond to Keld service and see if you can plan your day(s) around this. Could you use ***** for one way travel?

Whichever you use you would be well advised, in these days, to avoid parking in remote spots ..... the undesirables know exactly where every one is.

You may be told that it is safe to park providing nothing is left on show ......... not true .... disappointed villains are frequently known to steal parts .... or even torch the vehicle.

Sorry to be a Cassandra!!!

Edited by noj (27/01/10 12:07 PM)

#50870 - 09/09/09 03:56 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: slowcoach]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Installing millions of urban CCTV cameras was never going to stop these villains and undesirables from breaking into unattended vehicles, it just means they have to travel a few miles out of town to do so undetected.
And don't worry about being a Cassandra - one more on here won't make much difference.

#50890 - 10/09/09 10:26 AM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: slowcoach]
lightweightmick Offline

Hi SC - thanks for the input but there won't be any buses when I get to Reeth let alone Surrender Bridge! Fell runners traditionally supported each other in days gone by.
My only offer of support dried up (she was on holiday) and so I had no option than to find a relatively safe parking spot.
It's also a lot to ask of someone to wait around in an isolated spot after dusk waiting for a head torch to come over the hill... not for the feint hearted!
I think more rural areas are probably a safer bet than areas that, although rural in themselves, are within an 'easy' drive of large conurbations, as in the case of the NYM that are easy pickings for the organised element from the North East (it's a similar situation here in Derbyshire) and of course I would never quote anyone who gave an opinion on an area, it would be a more discreet enquiry, and they would be better placed than anyone to know of regular torching spots.
It's not an option to break the stage up either I'm afraid and it's those last few miles that take the most effort it seems!
The thought of the car at Osmotherly made a big difference mentally, but with support only a phone call away it could be too easy to request collection, whereas without, you know that every step takes you that bit nearer to your car...

It may well have to be Feetham with a short road walk back to car from Surrender.
So now I've got the older Panda back on the road it could work out like this:
without support
Drop car at Feetham. Continue on with van to site at Osmotherley. Spend night here.
Early start to car - drive back to van.
with support
Finding a site mid point would expect more of support to get to Osmotherley at first light, but would have the advantage of making it a shorter journey later, so this would largely depend on who was supporting and on how they would be prepared to fit in.
cheers
lwm

#50976 - 15/09/09 02:30 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

I've set up a blog to keep track of the 5 day saga (which is what it's becoming!)

http://fivedayc2c.blogspot.com/

includes account of the latest successful 2 day recce,
cheers
mick

#51212 - 24/09/09 11:53 AM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: lightweightmick]
lightweightmick Offline

Whey, just booked site nr Richmond to recce footpath sections of next leg. She indoors has (conditionally...) offered to support. (I think she got tired of hearing me going on about folding bikes...)
It's a full moon for the Sunday (4/10) Sunrise is 7am so I'll need to be setting off in the dark (6am - Osmotherley) and I'll most likely need to tackle the 3m after Reeth (to Surrender Bridge) in the dark as sunset is 6.30pm (though if it's fine I should have up to an hour on this...)
cheers
lwm

Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917