The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#406123 - 17/11/13 05:13 PM Right to Roam - maybe not!
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Recently heard that large parts of our Lancashire moorland are to be designated 'sights of special scientific interest'.
Three very popular, and in the Fell Runners diary, very special Fell Races are now almost certain to no longer take place.
This will impact greatly on the running club that puts them on, as they are their main means of income.
It's all to do with the fragile state of Peat Bog moors.
Of course rights of way should not be affected, but these races mainly used pathless open moor, and that's what made them so special.
I guess once designated, that means access will be denied for everyone including walkers.
I can't help but be suspicious that this is just a way of getting around the 'Right to Roam' as it comes from the owners 'United Utilities'. We always had access problems on moorland etc when the 'Water Board' owned the same land.
I wonder which area will be next.
Dave.

#406126 - 22/11/13 02:31 PM Re: Right to Roam - maybe not! [Re: Slogger]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
Dave
It is not which area will be next , but how can we stop them.
Have you been in touch with the R.A.

in our area every footpath, exept 1, has had to be fought for.
I am sorry to say one was closed through lack of knowledge.
even then we have to fight to keep open the ones on the definive map. Just finished an eighteen month battle with the parish Council.
Saw the Chairman of the parish Coucil to-day, he informed me that they were starting work to clear one to-day.
Will see what happens in the future.

ern

#406127 - 22/11/13 02:34 PM Re: Right to Roam - maybe not! [Re: Slogger]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
Definitive Map

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917