The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#406105 - 07/11/13 02:33 PM C2C 2013
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
Hi folks.
Sorry I haven't posted since I got back from my second C2C.
I haven't been able to get on here for a while.
Technical problems.
That said,Dave and I made it across in 13 days, starting on the 16th June and arriving in RHB on the 28th.
We met some nice new friends on the way, and even managed to collect a Stray named Brian on the path between the bidge over the Lisa in Ennerdale valley up to BSH. He stayed with us for all but one day, where we parted due to unavailable beds in Richmond.
The weather was mostly very kind, but coming out of Kirby Stephen to Keld, we took the road, as it really would have been pointless going over Nine Standards due to torrential rain all day. One day we will get a cuppa with Amanda and family at the farm. One day.
Only one major Nav fault to report when Dave followed someone who was already lost, and to my better judgement, I followed him. Having tracked back to the path with about as much soggy footwear as we could muster,we managed to not die or anything for the whole rest of the walk.
That was after I relieved Dave of any maps and other stuff, to stop him losing us again.
I did manage to completely reverse one of the two compasses we had at our disposal, by placing it in the pocket next to my mobile phone. So well me done for that. But we were saved by a young man who was returning to St Bees, after safely showing members of his family to RHB.So a BIG thank you to him.I am sorry I have forgotten your name, but thank you for giving us your spare compass.
For the most part though Henry Stedman is a trusty guide, with only a few minor niggles, which were probably down to us not reading properly,we managed to find our way with only a couple of glances at the old OS series.
In the process I managed to raise almost 700 quid for Cancer research UK. So not a bad two weeks work.
I did try to do a video blog, but when the batteries die, the batteries die. I may one day put a montage of our escapade up on you tube at some point in the future, so watch this space.
Reluctant Trucker signing off till 2016
(maybe, if mrs RT will let me out on my own.)
Yup Mad as hatters.

#406107 - 08/11/13 03:23 PM Re: C2C 2013 [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Well, well done RT, maybe RBH to St.Bees next time?
Dave.

#406108 - 08/11/13 03:24 PM Re: C2C 2013 [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
RHB, even!

#406109 - 08/11/13 11:43 PM Re: C2C 2013 [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
lightweightmick Online   confused

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Wow, 700 - well done that man!

#406130 - 24/11/13 07:11 PM Re: C2C 2013 [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Smokingman Offline

Hi RT

Well done i completed it a week earlier, you can re magnetize your compass to the correct orientation. I had to do mine some years ago, if i remember correctly just get a magnet and stroke over the needle.I'm sure Google has the answer.

John

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917